Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The UK has no formal written constitution, though certain statutes, like the various Acts of Union that created it in the first place, certainly have the force of constitutional documents. But even absent a formal constitution, the principle of the supremacy of Parliament is clear. There are many things a government cannot do without the consent of Parliament, and I'm sure that entering into or abandoning international agreements are among them. Normally with a parliamentary majority it would be pretty much automatic, but I don't think that would happen in this case. Parliament cannot be bound by a referendum, it would view the result as just an advisory opinion and it's free to reject the advice.

And if it does, just watch the pro-Brexit folks shriek in righteous indignation because they don't understand how their parliamentary system works.

Maybe that's what the writer of the article I read meant. It was early this am so not sure.

Agree with you otherwise and honestly waiting to hear Blackie's view on it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
now that most UK citizens have lost their retirement savings

Where's your evidence for this?

The UK wants to trade with the EU, they will still have to allow immigrants in, and abide by EU rules.
Canada has just forged a trade deal with the EU. Does Canada have to allow immigrants in and abide by EU rules?

One thing I found interesting is lawyers are getting involved in the Brexit thing. Pushing to make sure Parliament holds a discussion/debate and vote on it, because not doing so is against the UK constitution apparently.

So... considering most of the members are for Remain... should lead to interesting debating.

What I would find interesting would be the response of the public should parliament do the politically suicidal thing and ignore the will of the people.

Coffee House

In praise of Nigel Farage

Rod Liddle

Nigel Farage working on his resignation speech. One coffee, three packets of cigarettes.

Rod Liddle
4 July 2016
The Spectator

Nigel Farage is the most important British politician of the last decade and the most successful. His resignation leaves a hole in our political system. With enormous intelligence and chutzpah and a refreshingly unorthodox approach, he built Ukip up from nothing to become established as our third largest party and succeeded in his overriding ambition – to see the UK vote to leave the European Union. He is also extremely good company and likeable – unless you are one of those infants who screams ‘fascist!’ whenever his name is raised. Or if you are BBC PM’s presenter Eddie Mair, who – fatuously enough – seemed to suggest Farage was to blame for racist assaults taking place in the country.

What happens now to Ukip? Just look at those votes it already has, and the legion upon legion more waiting in the dispossessed Labour heartlands of the North and the Midlands. The party now should surely aim itself squarely at Labour, at the people who voted 65-35 to Leave and whose MPs voted resolutely to Remain. Paul Nuttall is the best placed of its current leaders to attract that vote, I think. The political arena is changing beyond recognition; Labour is now the party for the affluent middle-class left. A canny campaign from Ukip could see it wiped out, north of the Wash – much as has happened in Scotland.

Ukip's Scouse deputy leader Paul Nuttall, a Ukip MEP for North West England, could become the party's new leader, the man to take the party to new heights

UKIP Local Manifesto 2016: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/ukipdev/pages/3440/attachments/original/1459984864/UKIP_Local_Manifesto_2016.pdf?1459984864

In praise of Nigel Farage | Coffee House

Farage's resignation speech in full

Farage during his resignation speech yesterday

"I am aware that not everybody in this country is happy. Indeed, lot of young people have been wound up by scare stories and are actually very angry, and very scared about their future.

It’s an irony, really, that it’s the youth of the country that appear to be worried. Right across the European Union, it’s the under 30s that are protesting in the streets against undemocratic centralised control and, indeed, against the Euro and pretty much anything that emanates from Brussels.

In time, I hope that some of these sharp divisions can be healed when people come to realise that, actually, life outside the European Union is really very exciting and we’ve got a much better, brighter future being in charge of our own lives. Certainly the stock markets, despite everything George Osborne told us, have rallied very strongly. FTSE is now about 14 per cent higher than it was during its February lows.

It is a delight to see the number of Commonwealth countries rushing forward in a bidding war to be the first people to sign a trade agreement with an independent UK. What the country needs is strong leadership, what it needs is direction, what it needs is not business as usual. I am certain of one thing, the UK will leave the European Union, we have won that, and in terms of our Parliament, our courts, that is a great historic victory. What I am less certain of, is what deal is this government going to cut?

We need a new Prime Minister that puts down some pretty clear red lines, that we’re not going to give in on issues like free movement, and a Prime Minister who is not going to sell us out to what is known as the single market, but what is effectively a big business protectionist cartel. So we need a vision from our new leader, a vision that shows that we are going to engage with the world, that turns us into an enterprise economy.

To do that, to achieve that, we need a team of negotiators that includes figures from across the political spectrum which reflects that Brexit vote , and crucially, we need some business people, who know not only how the world works, but understand the importance of lobbying industry directly. We need to be lobbying the German car industry and the French wine producers, because next year both France and Germany have General Elections.

It is pressure on Merkel, it is pressure on Hollande from within those countries that is likely to get us the best possible deal. And we need to go global, there is no reason to wait for this, at all. As soon as we get a new Prime Minister, we need teams of negotiators. I’m told that we haven’t got the skill! I’m told that we haven’t got the competence or the expertise within our own civil service, which I suppose is the price you pay when you give away the ability to run your own country. So, let’s headhunt them. Let’s get them in from Singapore, or South Korea, or Chile, or Switzerland, or any of these countries who’ve managed to achieve far more in terms of global trade deals than we have as part of the European Union.

So we are now in charge of our own future, and I want us to grab this opportunity with both hands. Now, one of the questions that is being asked is: what of UKIP? What is the future of UKIP after this result? Well, we have clearly established ourselves as the third political force in this country, and this year we’ve extended our elected representation to the Welsh Assembly and the London Assembly. There is no doubt that without us, without the growth in UKIP, there would not have been a referendum. There is also no doubt, that when it came to the ground campaign in this referendum, it was the people’s army of UKIP who were out there delivering the leaflets, putting out the posters and doing all that work that needed, desperately, to be done. I do believe myself that it was UKIP, and UKIP’s messages, that inspired non-voters to go out there and make the difference. Without UKIP there is no way that the Leave vote would ever have got over the line.

So UKIP needs to be strong. We need to be strong, and push, and try and make sure that this country gets the best possible terms. And in electoral terms, the party now has built up a very loyal following of people, who want to go out and vote UKIP at every given opportunity. And they see us, our voters, they see us as being the one party that’s actually prepared to stand up for ordinary, decent people. I feel that the deeper the crisis in the Labour Party becomes, and there’s certainly no signs of that going away, and the further that the PLP and the leadership get away from their own voters, I feel that’s perhaps where our greatest potential lies. UKIP right now is in a very sound financial position.

I do believe we need some reform of its management structures. There is further professionalism that needs to be done, but the party is in a pretty good place, certainly compared to all of the others. If we do not get, if we do not get, a satisfactory Brexit deal – that allied to the woes of the Labour Party, to the groundswell of support that is there amongst UKIP loyalists – if we don’t get a good Brexit deal, then in 2020, watch this space.

The other subject of speculation has been ‘what am I going to do’? All I can say is, on this long journey, is a great thanks to anybody who has helped me on this journey, a great number of whom are in this room right now. It has been a very long journey. Not at every stage of the way an easy one, although it has been tremendous fun. When I think back to when I first stood for UKIP, in fact when I first stood for anybody, in the Eastleigh by-election which took place in 1994, and I managed to scrape past Screaming Lord Sutch, by a massive 164 votes, and to have gone from that to being part of a national campaign that attracted 17.5 million votes for Brexit says to me that, tough though it has been at times, it has certainly all been worth it. I came into politics from business because I believed that this nation should be self- governing.

I have never been, and I have never wanted to be, a career politician! My aim in being in politics was to get Britain out of the European Union. That is what we voted for in that referendum two weeks ago, and that is why I now feel that I have done my bit, that I couldn’t possibly achieve more than we managed to get in that referendum, and so I feel that it is right that I should now stand aside as leader of UKIP.

I will continue to support the party. I will support the new leader. I will watch the renegotiation process in Brussels like a hawk, and perhaps comment in the European Parliament from time to time. I am also very keen to help the independence movements that are springing up in other parts of the European Union because I am certain of one thing, you haven’t seen the last country that wants to leave the EU. It has been a huge chunk of my life, doing this, and it is not easy, perhaps, when you feel a degree of ownership of something to let it go. But it does come, as I say, at a cost. It has come at a cost to me and perhaps to those around me. During the referendum campaign I said I want my country back’. What I’m saying today is ‘I want my life back’, and it begins right now.

Thank you."

Nigel Farage resigns: The Ukip leader's resignation speech in full | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The two top dogs in the leave camp are out and the process hasn't even started. Is there the political will to follow it through?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The two top dogs in the leave camp are out and the process hasn't even started.

Johnson was stabbed in the back by Gove in the Tory leadership race.

Farage will still be an MEP until 2018 and will likely be part of the new PM's Brexit negotiations team.

Is there the political will to follow it through?

There has to be. The people have spoken and the people expect them to get on with it once the new Tory leader and PM is elected.

Vote Leave's Andrea Leadsom has said that if she becomes the new PM on 9th September then she will trigger Article 50 as soon as possible.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In a Parliamentary system there doesn't have to be.

Sorry, but Leave won and Remain lost.

Many, or most, of the 17,410,742 people who voted Leave - more people than have ever voted for anything in British history - are white working class voters who are fed up of the out-of-touch London elite ignoring them. If this elite ignores these 17.4 million once again by keeping them in the EU against there will then I predict not only political carnage in the next general election in 2020 but carnage on the streets and mass civil unrest.

And during his resignation speech yesterday Farage warned rival political parties to "Watch this space in 2020" if they do not fully implement Brexit.

There will he hell to pay if Brexit isn't followed through.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Garage is delusional. NAFTA limits the degree Canada could break down non-tariff barriers to trade. He seems to think tariffs are all there is to it. What about standardising banking and other rules, eh Farage?

Many, or most, of the 17,410,742 people who voted Leave - more people than have ever voted for anything in British history - are white working class voters who are fed up of the out-of-touch London elite ignoring them. If this elite ignores these 17.4 million once again by keeping them in the EU against there will then I predict not only political carnage in the next general election in 2020 but carnage on the streets and mass civil unrest.

And during his resignation speech yesterday Farage warned rival political parties to "Watch this space in 2020" if they do not fully implement Brexit.

I don't disagree. Leaving is preferable to violence.

Maybe the UK needs to leave for a while just to see how good things are in the EU.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

They won a non-binding referendum. Your parliament still needs to make a decision, and the leaders of the leave side are running for their own exits. Seems like an odd situation.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just to add, Canada's trade deal with the EU is primitive compared to EU membership. It reduces barriers, yes, but mostly limited to goods. How would this help the UK's financial services exports for example? Or even most services?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They won a non-binding referendum.

So? The decision will stand. If it doesn't, expect Ukip to he elected to power in 2020.

Your parliament still needs to make a decision

No, it doesn't. The British people have already made the decision for them.
and the leaders of the leave side are running for their own exits.

No, they aren't.

Maybe the UK needs to leave for a while just to see how good things are in the EU.

Things aren't good in the EU. The mass unemployment and economic turmoil amongst many of its member states is proof of that. And so is the fact that most EU citizens want out of the EU.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So? The decision will stand. If it doesn't, expect Ukip to he elected to power in 2020.

No, they aren't.

Things aren't good in the EU. The mass unemployment and economic turmoil amongst many of its member states is proof of that. And so is the fact that most EU citizens want out of the EU.

I agree the EU has problems. I meant it in comparative terms. In other words, the problems you'll face outside of the EU will be worse than the one's inside.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
By the way, Blackleaf, what do you propose to replace Brexit? Norwegian-style EEA, Swiss style agreements for various sectors, a more limited trade agreement like Canada's with the EU, EFTA only, or something else and why?

And that question just deals with UK-EU relations.

Between the UK and other states, would you join another trading Bloc like NAFTA? Of course Trum or Clinton, two protectionists, would have to want that.

Then there's the trade-off. The more integration you accept with the EU, the more your hands will be tied in your negotiations with other states. Joining BAFTA could also tie your hands in yourtrade negotiations with the EU. That pesky sovereignty vs free markets trade off again, eh.

Of course you could really go it alone, refuse to join any trading block and unilaterally lower all tariffs. Though better than nothing, it would be far less than you have now.

So, Blackleaf, what is your proposal and what are the pros and cons of it?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

The public doesn't make binding decisions. Their elected representatives do.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nigel Farage is a bloke and fraud.

I just want to know what Blackleaf intends to replace UK membership in the EU with. EEA, Swiss-style, NAFTA, EFTA, go it alone, what?

Except for just unilaterally dropping tariffs (which is better than nothing, granted), any other agreement will involve a trade-off of sovereignty for market access. The only difference between the various options is the degree of the trade-off along a spectrum. Given that the a large chunk if the referendum was precisely over that trade-off, with remainers favouring marjet access and Brexiters sovereignty, with a contunuous soectrum aline a line from one end to the other (abd not just two homogebeous camps) I'm curioys to know where Blackleaf stands along that spectrum. Fir example, on UK-EU relations, in order of more market access to more sovereignty, I can adintify the following points on the spectrum:

1. EU membership.

2. EEA (e.g. Norway)

3. Swiss-style

4. EFTA

5. WTO only (the default according to international law if no agreement is reached.

The UK could negotiate at some other point along that spectrum, but always on the understanding that they all involve a trade-off of market access over sovereignty. No country can avoid it, not even the US.

So, Blackleaf, where do you sit along that spectrum? How much sovereignty are you willing to trade off for market access?

Unless there is fundamental change on the EU itself, if you intend to stop illigal migrants, then EU, EEA and Swiss-style are off the table, and EFTA really deals only with tariffs. Again, how far are you willing to go in this trade-off?

Nigel Farage was the best thing to happen to British politics in 30 years.

Read my statement just above this. Si, what do you propose as the UK's alternative along with the pros and cons?

And what happens if Trump or Hilary decide to renegotiate NAFTA towards more protectionism?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
By the way, Blackleaf, what do you propose to replace Brexit? Norwegian-style EEA, Swiss style agreements for various sectors, a more limited trade agreement like Canada's with the EU, EFTA only, or something else and why?

And that question just deals with UK-EU relations.

Between the UK and other states, would you join another trading Bloc like NAFTA? Of course Trum or Clinton, two protectionists, would have to want that.

Then there's the trade-off. The more integration you accept with the EU, the more your hands will be tied in your negotiations with other states. Joining BAFTA could also tie your hands in yourtrade negotiations with the EU. That pesky sovereignty vs free markets trade off again, eh.

Of course you could really go it alone, refuse to join any trading block and unilaterally lower all tariffs. Though better than nothing, it would be far less than you have now.

So, Blackleaf, what is your proposal and what are the pros and cons of it?

My proposal is that Britain should be a normal, non-EU country (non-EU countries make up 87% of the world's countries) like Canada, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea and Jamaica, who all seem to get along just fine outside the EU.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I just want to know what Blackleaf intends to replace UK membership in the EU with. EEA, Swiss-style, NAFTA, EFTA, go it alone, what?

Except for just unilaterally dropping tariffs (which is better than nothing, granted), any other agreement will involve a trade-off of sovereignty for market access. The only difference between the various options is the degree of the trade-off along a spectrum. Given that the a large chunk if the referendum was precisely over that trade-off, with remainers favouring marjet access and Brexiters sovereignty, with a contunuous soectrum aline a line from one end to the other (abd not just two homogebeous camps) I'm curioys to know where Blackleaf stands along that spectrum. Fir example, on UK-EU relations, in order of more market access to more sovereignty, I can adintify the following points on the spectrum:

1. EU membership.

2. EEA (e.g. Norway)

3. Swiss-style

4. EFTA

5. WTO only (the default according to international law if no agreement is reached.

The UK could negotiate at some other point along that spectrum, but always on the understanding that they all involve a trade-off of market access over sovereignty. No country can avoid it, not even the US.

So, Blackleaf, where do you sit along that spectrum? How much sovereignty are you willing to trade off for market access?

Unless there is fundamental change on the EU itself, if you intend to stop illigal migrants, then EU, EEA and Swiss-style are off the table, and EFTA really deals only with tariffs. Again, how far are you willing to go in this trade-off?

Read my statement just above this. Si, what do you propose as the UK's alternative along with the pros and cons?

And what happens if Trump or Hilary decide to renegotiate NAFTA towards more protectionism?

What is important is they cut themselves loose from the anti-democratic bureaucracy that is rapidly turning the continent into Europistan. All else is secondary.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The public doesn't make binding decisions. Their elected representatives do.

The public have spoken and have made their decision. Ignoring the democratic will of the people will not be a good idea, as I'm sure our lovely MPs know. That's why Britain's bloodied political class know that there's no turning back from Brexit.