New Yorker's satirical Obama cover triggers uproar

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Please Juan, Good Lord, I didn't say Canada didn't contribute...........I never met an uncle as he was lost in bomber command in July 1941, before the USA was in.

Our contribution was huge.

BUT, the contribution of the USA, was 10 times ours, as is proper because of their population and econmic base.....

So, if our contribution was huge, and that of the USA was 10 times our own, is it not reasonable to say the US contribution was essential?

IN 1939, the population of Canada was about 12 million people. If you divide that in half, it gives about 6 million males. Subtract those who were too young or too old to serve, and you have about 3 million males of military service age.
By the end of the second world war, Canada had ONE MILLION, ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MEN IN UNIFORM. That is one out of every three adult males.

Apply the same math to the American population at the time of 135 million

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
IN 1939, the population of Canada was about 12 million people. If you divide that in half, it gives about 6 million males. Subtract those who were too young or too old to serve, and you have about 3 million males of military service age.
By the end of the second world war, Canada had ONE MILLION, ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MEN IN UNIFORM. That is one out of every three adult males.

Apply the same math to the American population at the time of 135 million

In 1945 the USA had a population of 135 million.

That is 68 million males

that leaves about 34 million of military age.

The USA had 13 million in uniform.............

That is well over one out of every three adult males.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
In 1945 the USA had a population of 135 million.

That is 68 million males

that leaves about 34 million of military age.

The USA had 13 million in uniform.............

That is well over one out of every three adult males.

Colpy, you have been brainwashed by yankee propaganda...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colpy, you have been brainwashed by yankee propaganda...

I'm sorry.....the math doesn't lie.

I was simply challenged to apply the same formula to the USA as was applied to show the extent of Canada's contribution to the war effort.

I did so.

How does that show I've "been brainwashed by Yankee propaganda"?

i submit that that obsessive, tunnel-visioned attacks on the USA, despite the presentation of easily verifiable facts on the matter, show the anti-Americans are behaving irrationally.

Who has been brainwashed?

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I'm sorry.....the math doesn't lie.

I was simply challenged to apply the same formula to the USA as was applied to show the extent of Canada's contribution to the war effort.

I did so.

How does that show I've "been brainwashed by Yankee propaganda"?

i submit that that obsessive, tunnel-visioned attacks on the USA, despite the presentation of easily verifiable facts on the matter, show the anti-Americans are behaving irrationally.

Who has been brainwashed?

Not me...

But if you are just pulling some formula out of the air, that doesn't cut it. Produce facts...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Not me...

But if you are just pulling some formula out of the air, that doesn't cut it. Produce facts...

Did you read above the amount of war material the USA sent to the USSR ALONE????

The population of Canada in 1942 was 11,654,000. During the war, 1,100,000 Canadians served. That is 9.4% of the population.

The population of the USA in 1942 was 134,859, 553. During the war 13,277,307 Americans served. That is 9.8% of the population.

Case closed.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Did you read above the amount of war material the USA sent to the USSR ALONE????

The population of Canada in 1942 was 11,654,000. During the war, 1,100,000 Canadians served. That is 9.4% of the population.

The population of the USA in 1942 was 134,859, 553. During the war 13,277,307 Americans served. That is 9.8% of the population.

Case closed.
Case reopened. How many in Europe? That is what we are discussing. Not Pearl Harbor where the yanks got caught with their pants down and the action with Japan.( won't get into the weapon of mass destruction the yanks felt was justified there).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Case reopened. How many in Europe? That is what we are discussing. Not Pearl Harbor where the yanks got caught with their pants down and the action with Japan.( won't get into the weapon of mass destruction the yanks felt was justified there).

What, you want to penalize the American effort because they were fighting a two front war? Successfully, I might add.

Why were the Japanese not important?

Do you even realize that the Canadian Army was attacked in Hong Kong at the same time as Pearl Harbour?

You want the stats on material sent to Great Britain?

Look at Normandy, as I said before......how many beaches were taken by the USA? How many taken by the Commonwealth? Would the 1944 invasion been possible without the USA? could the USSR have stood without American help?

Probably not.

and if the USSR fell...........all Germany's power would have turned west, and the much smaller force mustered by the Commonwealth to attack Fortress Europe? Thrown into the sea, if any attempt was made.....or years upon years of war......or (even worse) a peace made with Nazism. A temporary one.

Get used to it.....you can twist and turn and try to slither out of it, but the facts remain....the American contribution to the war effort, both in material and fighting forces, between 1940 and 1945 was absolutely pivotal.

That is the historical fact.

As for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, perhaps the Japs should have stayed the hell away from Hawaii.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
As for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, perhaps the Japs should have stayed the hell away from Hawaii.
Well just because the yanks were caught with their pants down (and embarassed) at Pearl Harbor, was not a justifiable reason for them to use weapons of mass destruction to kill all those innocent civilians. What a dark part of yankee history...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well just because the yanks were caught with their pants down (and embarassed) at Pearl Harbor, was not a justifiable reason for them to use weapons of mass destruction to kill all those innocent civilians. What a dark part of yankee history...

A dark part of YANKEE history?

Geezus.

we were at war with Japan too.

How many died under Allied bombs in Europe?

Many more that in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

And those attacks actually ended the war.

AND the Japs caught everyone with their pants down......including Canadians at Hong Kong.

As well, the Japs started World War Two when they invaded China......in 1937.

As I said before, read a little history before you get on your high horse.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Good job Colpy !

From one extreme to another.

Meet the new myths, replacing the old myths....

We go from rejecting the over-playing of America's part in WWII to the complete under-playing of America's part in WWII.

Go figure.

You see this often. Some one finds that some story has been overplayed and seeing this they go to the extreme and think all of it was a pack of lies. It's a very typical reaction.

People may have heard too often the impact of America's involvement and then reading how heavy the burden was on the Russians overreact to downplay American impact.
Throw in the zeitgeist fad of anti-americanism and you got people pretty sure of themselves.

We go from one truth to replace it with other truths ?
We go from one overplaying emphasis to replace it with underplaying the impact ?

This pendulum swing is natural.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I did buy a copy of the mag yesterday and worry about the fact that i understood all the cartoons! The Obama cover issue wasn't on the stands here yet, but i plan on buying it and more issues .