New legislation designed to keep mentally ill murderers - Your opinion is???????

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think stress is pretty well the common denominator of all people with a brain. I believe it can work both ways, kill you or preserve you. There are two kinds of stress................ that which you can do something about and that which you can do nothing about. It's important to recognize which you are suffering from. With first kind get busy, with the second take each day as it comes and don't go knocking yourself out trying "to make things happen". It's very important for a person to have enough things to occupy his/her mind.

Ah but the crux of the thing is, for some people it's not just a matter of 'not sweating the small stuff'. Sometimes, for some people, they can't help to sweat it, profusely. It's not by choice, it's not because they want to or it's fun, but they can't help it. That's where you start to get into the grey area of where mental illness begins. Now imagine that someone is in that grey area but they're constantly being told to 'shake it off' and they can't. So it festers and grows and before long it begins to affect them in ways that they can no longer hide away. Depression, anxiety, don't talk about it because so many don't understand. The drooling madman in the straight jacket in the corner, that people understand as mentally ill. But not the average sufferer.

These are the people that fall through the cracks. These are the people who can't get treatment because it's not covered by provincial health insurance plans and therapy runs about $150 an hour. These are the people who turn to drugs and alcohol because they just want to be numb. These are the people who need the help.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
lmao...yeah that was also one of the quotes that ran through ma head...

Ah but the crux of the thing is, for some people it's not just a matter of 'not sweating the small stuff'. Sometimes, for some people, they can't help to sweat it, profusely. It's not by choice, it's not because they want to or it's fun, but they can't help it. That's where you start to get into the grey area of where mental illness begins. Now imagine that someone is in that grey area but they're constantly being told to 'shake it off' and they can't. So it festers and grows and before long it begins to affect them in ways that they can no longer hide away. Depression, anxiety, don't talk about it because so many don't understand. The drooling madman in the straight jacket in the corner, that people understand as mentally ill. But not the average sufferer.

These are the people that fall through the cracks. These are the people who can't get treatment because it's not covered by provincial health insurance plans and therapy runs about $150 an hour. These are the people who turn to drugs and alcohol because they just want to be numb. These are the people who need the help.
I think things are improving now. It has come out of the closet and more and more people are open about their struggles. It is the way of things these days to put it out there... (pendulum swing that has gone too far) in some ways.

But people are pretty quick to tell about their challenges. And that is a good thing because the more light shed on it, the more demand for aid, the more given.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think things are improving now. It has come out of the closet and more and more people are open about their struggles. It is the way of things these days to put it out there... (pendulum swing that has gone too far) in some ways.

But people are pretty quick to tell about their challenges. And that is a good thing because the more light shed on it, the more demand for aid, the more given.

For sure, there has been some improvements. The comment about basements and attics was not something that was occurring really all that long ago. But the tricky part, the uphill battle, is that it's invisible to the naked eye. We can't see it and that makes it harder for some people to really believe it. Spend a bit of time with someone who really suffers from depression or anxiety issues and you begin to see but it's still difficult to really wrap your head around sometimes.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
For sure, there has been some improvements. The comment about basements and attics was not something that was occurring really all that long ago. But the tricky part, the uphill battle, is that it's invisible to the naked eye. We can't see it and that makes it harder for some people to really believe it. Spend a bit of time with someone who really suffers from depression or anxiety issues and you begin to see but it's still difficult to really wrap your head around sometimes.
I guess... I have always just been so "out there" with things. And I have a large circle of acquaintances that run the gamut from suicidal, borderline psychosis. to sever anxiety and to be honest, it really doesn't get in the way of any interactions...lol... And trust me, I am super careful about my inner circle. I don't find mental illness affects friendship all the profoundly. Kind is kind, supportive is supportive. In fact the more people have dealt with, the less they are cruel, or insensitive or unkind.

So I don't know if it is really that hard to wrap one's head around. I just see it as a part of life and most people within my circle do too.

But as we have stated earlier, I am trying to be MINDFUL of different opinions and experiences.... :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, I hear you, years ago I had to go for help (counselling) on a perceived problem that was probably not as big as I thought, but it was eating at me. I never did get rid of the problem but was able to reduce the problem just by a couple of pieces of advice, one is don't catastrophize (worse case scenarios very seldom come true) and learn to separate thoughts from events. When people get to suffering from the "black dog", they get to thinking no one has the problems they do when in fact half the population probably has bigger problems.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep, I hear you, years ago I had to go for help (counselling) on a perceived problem that was probably not as big as I thought, but it was eating at me. I never did get rid of the problem but was able to reduce the problem just by a couple of pieces of advice, one is don't catastrophize (worse case scenarios very seldom come true) and learn to separate thoughts from events. When people get to suffering from the "black dog", they get to thinking no one has the problems they do when in fact half the population probably has bigger problems.

Yeah, sometimes therapy alone can do a world of good. Somethings can get worse without intervention but just by learning some coping skills that we may not have thought of on our own can make all the difference.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, sometimes therapy alone can do a world of good. Somethings can get worse without intervention but just by learning some coping skills that we may not have thought of on our own can make all the difference.

That's right and one other thought about the idea that stress can cause heart attacks or even kill you. While true in the vast minority of cases, adversity tends to make us stronger, especially if you can learn from the stress. I think a lot of stress comes from thinking you have to act today, when it's better to sleep on it and act tomorrow IF still necessary.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's right and one other thought about the idea that stress can cause heart attacks or even kill you. While true in the vast minority of cases, adversity tends to make us stronger, especially if you can learn from the stress. I think a lot of stress comes from thinking you have to act today, when it's better to sleep on it and act tomorrow IF still necessary.
ooooooooooooooooooh my gawd isn't that the truth...sleeeeeeeeep on it...sleeeeeep on it...keep your mouth SHUT and sleep on it.... oh yeah....wish I hadn't had to learn that lesson multiple times.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
while sane criminals can have their sentences reduced from a review and an appropriate time of reflection.

criminally insane should have their sentences reduced from a review and an appropriate time of healing.

I support Harper's proposal. I think it might not be firm enough to keep the wackjobs off the street, but at least it is a step in the correct direction.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

That comes with the realization that a lot of stress is self-imposed. When you really stop and think about it, there really is no problem that doesn't have a solution. It may not be the solution that we want or what we would enjoy, but there is a solution.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'll be happy if schoenborn never sees the light of day because of this legislation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That comes with the realization that a lot of stress is self-imposed. When you really stop and think about it, there really is no problem that doesn't have a solution. It may not be the solution that we want or what we would enjoy, but there is a solution.

Solution, yep, in the form of the "Alcoholics Prayer"...................words to the effect of "change the things you can, accept the things you can not change and have the wisdom to know the difference".

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If someone murders someone, sane or not, they should be incarcerated for a long time. If they are insane, and they're placed in a different facility than where sane people are imprisoned, then that is fine. Just so long as they are not wandering the streets a year or two after they commit the murder(s). Li should be locked up for a hell of a lot longer than he was. He chose to stop taking his medication, after all.