New legislation designed to keep mentally ill murderers - Your opinion is???????

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes cure at this point is not within our grasp. Not yet.

And in cases such as these, I am fully supportive of a velvet fist. And that would include me if I were ever to fall into that abyss. From a sane perspective I can say unequivocally ensure I do no harm. I can't think of buddy's name to the south of us, the one that had the huge arsenol but when he wrote to his mother he said "I feel homocide". He knew, he just did not have the capacity to rein himself in. He was let down by an over burdened system. We have to rein them in. It's a moral and ethical obligation.

And that basically is my life philosophy that I strive for anyway...I don't care what people do, just don't cause harm to others in the process.

And that is an excellent philosophy to have.-:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
But how do you control without violating ones rights?

How do you hold someone in custody, beyond the length of the sentence a sane person would have been subjected to, without violating their Charter rights?

Compound that with the 'control' of medication, how do you force someone to take their meds without violating their rights?

Honestly, I don't know how we can without violating someone's rights. The question then becomes, and it is the much, much harder question to be sure, do we do it in spite of that?

Take the case of Vince Li for example. No doubt the man is seriously mentally ill, unmedicated he's proven to be extremely dangerous. I have, despite the atrocious act he committed, an extreme amount of sympathy and empathy for the man. I can't imagine the depths of pain and sorrow he must feel to have done what he's done and to be aware and care about it. What does that do to a person, that knowledge? How that must torment him, every day, as the cocktail of medication keeps him lucid and in complete understanding of what he's done. So can we trust he'll continue to take his medication of his own free will and continue to face that torment on his own? Do we release him and hope he stays on his meds? Or do we continue to keep him confined, possibly for the rest of his life, in an effort to prevent further harm to not only others but ultimately Vince Li himself?

It's not an easy answer, by any stretch of the imagination. Hell it is a damned difficult question to even ask in the first place. I think we've got to ask it though. We don't ask enough tough questions in society.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And that is an excellent philosophy to have.-:)
Thanks, it's sometimes a bit harder to do than to hold...lol.

Oh, you learn something new every day!
As long as we keep learning, we are good. :)

Also just to clarify, people can have mental illness and do absolutely no harm but I think we start getting into the dangerous territory when we are dealing with psychosis and breaks with reality.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's because the answers make us uncomfortable.

They should make us uncomfortable. That discomfort is what will prevent us from taking things just that little bit too far, from being too cold and logical or too emotional and irrational.

Maybe I guess what I'm getting at is this may be one of those issues where we don't wait for the pendulum to swing, maybe we need to force a balance.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You think in all cases? I've always thought that in many cases when you can find the cause you can find the cure. Are some people not driven nuts from events or from fear?
I think here you are speaking more of neurosis than psychosis.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They should make us uncomfortable. That discomfort is what will prevent us from taking things just that little bit too far, from being too cold and logical or too emotional and irrational.
Only some of us. And quite frankly, the gov't isn't filled with people that are prone feeling discomfort.

Maybe I guess what I'm getting at is this may be one of those issues where we don't wait for the pendulum to swing, maybe we need to force a balance.
I concur.

I've learned a lot through my volunteer work, CAMH is one of our partners.

Thank you, I was groping for the difference, and I just couldn't spit it out, lol.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Yes and another problem I see here right off is...if we can keep someone lucid with drugs after they have committed a heineous crime, what kind of treatment is valid.

I mean really, they need to be treated at a certain level of comfort. People would be going off the rails thinking that they were well treated. I hear people speak in such cases about how, they would like to be alone with people "like this" for just five minutes. I know it's just a lack of understanding on their part but it's a hard one to justify to people who "don't get it, but think they do."

It's a heavy, heavy moral, and ethical responsibility.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Only some of us. And quite frankly, the gov't isn't filled with people that are prone feeling discomfort.

What the gov't is full of is ( yes that, but also) people who follow the tide of comfort/discomfort of the people who vote for them. This is a societal issue and government is not necessary to get a dialogue going.

I concur.

I've learned a lot through my volunteer work, CAMH is one of our partners.
Don't get me wrong, for the most part I do believe that the best way for change to occur is for it to occur naturally. For most things that means waiting out the pendulum (to continue on with that same analogy). Forcing a change is difficult, that's where the discomfort comes in for many people, but not all you're right about that. It's necessary though, particularly with the issue of mental illness. There are just too many people really and truly suffering on all sides to wait for time to sort it all out.

That kind of highlights the very common misunderstandings of what mental illness is all about. How can we, as a large group (society), deal with something we so many of us don't really understand what we're dealing with?

Yes and another problem I see here right off is...if we can keep someone lucid with drugs after they have committed a heineous crime, what kind of treatment is valid.

I mean really, they need to be treated at a certain level of comfort. People would be going off the rails thinking that they were well treated.
I don't know. Is it more compassionate to not bring them fully to a level of reality? Somehow it seems a horrific notion doesn't it? Keeping someone just crazy enough to not understand the horror they've committed?

I hear people speak in such cases about how, they would like to be alone with people "like this" for just five minutes. I know it's just a lack of understanding on their part but it's a hard one to justify to people who "don't get it, but think they do."
It's an absolutely horrific notion to face that someone could do such horrible things and actually care and feel the pain for what they've done. Like Bear said, it makes people uncomfortable. It's easier to think of them as monsters.

But just because we shouldn't think of them as monsters does not mean we shouldn't all be very realistic with the damage that they can do. To themselves or to others.

It's a heavy, heavy moral, and ethical responsibility.
Tough love in a sense. It's maybe not so much what you're doing (keeping people confined) as it's the reason why you're doing it? I don't know, best I can articulate it right now.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Absolutely, I'd venture to say that 90% of the mentally ill are absolutely harmless as far as other people are concerned. These aren't the folks that Harper was addressing.
More like 2-3% so why should the 97-99% pay the price?

The demands on the taxpayer to provide for all the services people demand.
So keep on stiffing the most detrimental health issue because it's expensive?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
For the most part, individuals who have mental health issues are not a threat to anyone but themselves. Often, the medications they're on have side affects that are untenable and so they go off the meds to feel better. Unfortunately, they also become "ill" again (not that they never were) but you get my meaning. Having worked in the past with people who had mental health issues, the most prevelant issue was keeping them on their medications. The individuals that came to our agency were, for the most part, very gentle and loving individuals who happen to have mental health problems.

Now in the case of Vince Li, he's a different animal completely. While he is not responsible for being ill, we do need to protect society from him and it becomes a balancing act between either keeping him in an institution for the rest of his life or ensuring that he takes his medications on a daily basis, even if by force. In todays world, unfortunately, the words "institution" and "force" are big no nos, i.e. not politically correct) but the fact remains that, while the vast majority of mental health clients are harmless, we do need to take seriously the .05 or 1% or whatever percentage of those who are SERIOUSLY ill and SERIOUSLY present a danger the to the public. I'm not advocating locking him up in a celler either - I'm saying the need to be kept out of the general population, permanently in an environment that treats them as human beings albeit really sick human beings.

As for the doctor, I have NEVER believed he was mentally ill and I still don't - don't care what the so call professionals say - I don't know why I'm so adamant about this - call it a "gut" feeling and he too, should never see the light of day - preferably in a jail cell and not an institution.

JMHO

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
DixieCup said:
As for the doctor, I have NEVER believed he was mentally ill and I still
don't - don't care what the so call professionals say - I don't know why I'm so
adamant about this - call it a "gut" feeling and he too, should never see the
light of day - preferably in a jail cell and not an institution.
It can't be faked.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
More like 2-3% so why should the 97-99% pay the price?

So keep on stiffing the most detrimental health issue because it's expensive?

I wasn't referring to the ones who are harmless, just the ones with a murderous history.

The most "detrimental health issue" probably varies depending on who you ask. The person who needs the heart transplant may rightfully feel he has the most detrimental health issue.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wasn't referring to the ones who are harmless, just the ones with a murderous history.

The most "detrimental health issue" probably varies depending on who you ask. The person who needs the heart transplant may rightfully feel he has the most detrimental health issue.
Welcome to full circleville!

Chances are very high the person needs the transplant because of stress (a mental health issue).

If they didn't have the stress...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Chances are very high the person needs the transplant because of stress (a mental health issue).

If they didn't have the stress...

Or from lack of exercise or from excessive smoking or from bad diet or from inherited factors!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Stress and Heart Attack Risk

Medical researchers aren't sure exactly how stress increases the risk of heart disease. Stress itself might be a risk factor, or it could be that high levels of stress make other risk factors (such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure) worse. For example, if you are under stress, your blood pressure goes up, you may overeat, you may exercise less, and you may be more likely to smoke.
Or from lack of exercise or from excessive smoking or from bad diet or from inherited factors!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yeah I try to moderate everything, keep stress in check, eat well, drink moderately, exercise, but barring an accident, but my genes indicate a high likelihood that I will go out with a heart attack or stroke...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yeah I try to moderate everything, keep stress in check, eat well, drink moderately, exercise, but barring an accident, but my genes indicate a high likelihood that I will go out with a heart attack or stroke...

I think stress is pretty well the common denominator of all people with a brain. I believe it can work both ways, kill you or preserve you. There are two kinds of stress................ that which you can do something about and that which you can do nothing about. It's important to recognize which you are suffering from. With first kind get busy, with the second take each day as it comes and don't go knocking yourself out trying "to make things happen". It's very important for a person to have enough things to occupy his/her mind.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think stress is pretty well the common denominator of all people with a brain. I believe it can work both ways, kill you or preserve you. There are two kinds of stress................ that which you can do something about and that which you can do nothing about. It's important to recognize which you are suffering from. With first kind get busy, with the second take each day as it comes and don't go knocking yourself out trying "to make things happen". It's very important for a person to have enough things to occupy his/her mind.
yeah, that is nicely put...it's like that quote, don't sweat the small stuff...and it is all small stuff.