NDP Policies

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
Roy said:
Layton in Alberta trying to stave off the humiliation of coming 4th in the provice behind thd Greens in even more ridings than they did last time. This is the NDP base after 16 Federal elections. Razz

hahahah that is funny and true, actualy in my riding (calgary north center) the Green Party and the NDP were relatively close with the NDP able to get only 300 or 400 more votes. I think if people in Alberta actualy knew more about the green party they would easily come ahead of the NDP. Now seeing as how the Conservatives will probably easily win my riding I am stuck with making 1 of two choices, either vote CPC to send the message that the Liberals had no chance, or vote Green to send the message to Alberta that the Green Party is a much more logical choice in this province than the NDP.

ahhh...choices choices choices... :p

That's one of the reasons I vote Green. The Greens came ahead of the NDP in 3 Calgary ridings last election (and 21 across the country). They have a really good chance this election of coming 2nd in Macleod (nobody is in the same race with the Conservatives). In the last election the NDP had a total of 29 thousand votes in Calgary and the Greens 28 thousand. I could see it 40,000 for the Greens this time and 26,000 for the NDP (the Libs will drop big time in Alberta). The Greens will outpoll the NDP in most Alberta ridings except Edmonton. Some of the disenchanted Liberal vote will go to the Greens.

Also on the positive side, in any all-party scrum on QR77, the Greens are invited to participate. Yesterday there was a debate on aboriginal issues and the only party missing was the NDP...they couldn't find a local candidate to discuss the issue.

If it was a neck and neck race I'd vote Conservative to keep one of those vile National Energy Program Liberals out of an Alberta seat but my riding is a Conservative lock so I'd rather give the environment an added pat on the head and will vote Green.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: NDP Policies

Roy said:
ahh Suburban Toronto....liberal lala land

Yup..
I might be a NDP supporter... But I'm just sick of the Liberals. I hope the Liberals get biten badly by FPTP this election. I hope they lose power because of FPTP and know full well they have been promising for over 15 years to change this f$%king system and never did!

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
ah yes Macleod.... Menzies crushed the opposition, is he running again?

anyways voting Green in your riding would be my choice too seeing as how with diminished Liberal support the Green's have a good chance of coming in second. I am looking forward to seeing the Liberals being pushed further off the radar in Alberta and I think Edmonton might be in for a surprise with Kilgour not running again. All I want for Christmas is for "whiny Annie" to get the boot.

If it was a neck and neck race I'd vote Conservative to keep one of those vile National Energy Program Liberals out of an Alberta seat but my riding is a Conservative lock so I'd rather give the environment an added pat on the head and will vote Green.

you and I think along the same lines Calberty :wink:

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
If it wasn't the Deputy PM running and getting lots of media coverage the Conservatives would sweep the province 'no problemo'. It wouldn't even be close. However, the novelty aspect of Annie's riding will bring out the Liberal vote. The Federal NDP is in pathetic shape in Alberta so some NDP suporters might jump ship to save Annie.

It will definitely be close. I want the Liberals defeated so we can keep Alberta Rat free and Liberal free but at the same time it's kind of fun having her to kick around and make fun of.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Alberta isn't rat free...you have Ralphie and Stevie.

Anyway, since this is the NDP policy thread and not the redneck playground...
Honouring obligations to Aboriginal Canadians

Increasingly, First Nations, Inuit and Métis people are making prominent contributions to a better Canada — in arts, media, science, government, business, health and education.

But Liberal majority governments did little to heal the appalling conditions many more Aboriginal people face — substandard housing, unsafe drinking water, ill health and limited opportunities for development.

Meanwhile, treaty negotiations and self-governance discussions keep stalling, and nine-year-old recommendations of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples are still gathering dust on a shelf.

Enough is enough.

After 12 years: The Liberal record

* Housing in many Aboriginal communities is crumbling, mouldy and overcrowded — and often still contains asbestos-laden Zonolite insulation installed by Ottawa.
* Federal health care in many Aboriginal communities is disgracefully inadequate — and Aboriginal people have higher rates of both infectious and chronic disease, with life expectancies seven years below the national average.
* Aboriginal babies are still twice as likely to be born prematurely, have low birth weights or die before their first birthday. More than a third of Aboriginal children off reserve live in poverty, and Aboriginal youth are five times more likely to commit suicide.
* Since 2001, the Liberals’ residential schools redress program has compensated fewer than 3,000 of 87,000 living survivors of abuse — and for each dollar in compensation, Ottawa spends four dollars managing and disputing claims.
* Nine years after the Liberals received the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples report, most of its recommendations to move forward — nation to nation — are gathering dust on a shelf. Even the UN has condemned Canada’s record on respecting treaty rights.

Jack Layton and the NDP.
Getting results for people.

The NDP got results for people by rewriting the Liberal budget. We cancelled their corporate tax cuts and invested in people instead — in a fiscally responsible, balanced budget.

The NDP secured $1.6-billion for affordable housing, including dedicated funds for Aboriginal housing. And we secured $1.5-billion for education and training, with dedicated funds for Aboriginal people.

It’s a good beginning.

But there’s a lot more to do.
http://www.ndp.ca/page/1960

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
It will definitely be close. I want the Liberals defeated so we can keep Alberta Rat free and Liberal free but at the same time it's kind of fun having her to kick around and make fun of.

I had my fun enough, now its time to see her go. You are right that all the media coverage of Mclelland being the DPM leads her to slither by, buy I think this time is different. I cannot tell you how much I hate to hear her winny voice during question period with her "here here's" and motherly tone. :lol:

I also would like to see the Greens possibly win a seat or two so we will be able to include them in the leadership debates next election.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The Greens will never win anything with Harris as their leader. He's caused such division in the party that they've become little more than a place to park protest vote against the Conservatives.

This is the NDP policy thread though, so...
Layton Celebrates Winter Solstice In Arctic

* GET INFORMED
* GET ACTIVE
* GET THE LATEST
o › Press Releases
o Rapid Response
o Multimedia »
o Speeches & Articles

Find your candidate.

Wed 21 Dec 2005

YELLOWKNIFE – NDP leader Jack Layton today celebrated the winter solstice in Yellowknife. He noted that it is a long night in the north, but that the future will be brighter with the election of a New Democrat from the Western Arctic.

Layton criticized Paul Martin’s efforts to win votes with insincere and ineffective election grandstanding against the United States.

Noting that a high school class from Whitehorse was recently categorized as a threat by the U.S. Homeland Security Department for attending an anti-missile demonstration, Layton said “it seems George Bush is more frightened by some high school students from Whitehorse than he is of Paul Martin. And no wonder, when Paul Martin talks back, all he threatens is more talk.

With the Bush administration gearing up to permit oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and with nuclear submarines intruding into Canadian arctic waters, Layton said “it’s vital that we have a federal government that is ready, able and willing to stand up for Canada in the North.”

Layton also said that resource development in the North must treat northerners fairly.
“When these resources are exploited, the people of the North need to get their share – a fair share – of nature’s bounty,” Layton said. “Royalties from resource development in the North have to be fair to the people of the North and local communities must have a real say in development.”

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"Alberta isn't rat free...you have Ralphie and Stevie. "

actually, rats are fairly intelligent. Rats know to steer clear of ralph and steve. Humans could learn a thing or two from those rats.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
I dont think there is really any "policy" in there Rev, other than the usual fairness and responsibility of resource tone, which is spoken by all the parties.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
Roy said:

I had my fun enough, now its time to see her go. You are right that all the media coverage of Mclelland being the DPM leads her to slither by, buy I think this time is different. I cannot tell you how much I hate to hear her winny voice during question period with her "here here's" and motherly tone. :lol:

I also would like to see the Greens possibly win a seat or two so we will be able to include them in the leadership debates next election.

The fun now is watching the NDP run around fluffing their feathers. The NDP reminds be of Deputy Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith show. :lol: No one takes Barney seriously except himself. Every now and then the Liberals pat them on the head and settle the NDP down the way Aunt Bee settles down an agitated Barney by giving him a piece of homemade pie. :wink:

You also hope Barney doesn't actually have bullets in his gun. 8O That can be a bit dangerous as when Bob Rae and the NDP actually took the reins in Ontario. :?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Calberty: I realise that it's difficult for somebody of your limited intellect to actually discuss policy, but take your disability someplace else.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
He kick started Ontario's economy through government spending, Caracal. If he would have won a second term, he'd be noted for the benefits it produced, but he never got the chance so the slash and burn neo-cons take credit instead.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

the caracal kid said:
actually, rats are fairly intelligent. Rats know to steer clear of ralph and steve.

I always wondered why rats voted Liberal and NDP. :wink: :)

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005

the caracal kid said:
thanks rev, that is what i thought. i was under the impression that Rae's efforts had a positive effect for Ontario.

Sure, that's why the NDP in ontario still only won 14% in the Ontario election a full decade after the bum was booted from office. He was the worse nightmare a party could imagine. I'd describe him as puting PeeWee Herman in charge of Canady Jar. 8O

He managed to single handedly remove the NDP goodwill the party had built up for decades. His name is now an adjective, a synonym for 'incompetence'. :wink:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Calberty said:
Roy said:

The fun now is watching the NDP run around fluffing their feathers. The NDP reminds be of Deputy Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith show. :lol: No one takes Barney seriously except himself. Every now and then the Liberals pat them on the head and settle the NDP down the way Aunt Bee settles down an agitated Barney by giving him a piece of homemade pie. :wink:

You also hope Barney doesn't actually have bullets in his gun. 8O That can be a bit dangerous as when Bob Rae and the NDP actually took the reins in Ontario. :?

The NDP represent a large voter block in the Canadian society. Just because there seats in parliment do not represent there power with the people shouldn't mean they are pushed into the corner. On the other hand look at the bloc with less support then the NDP yet they have much more power and respect in parliment. This is a problem with the Canadian electoral system.

Plus even with the large voting block the NDP currently has you can't forget that there's at least 5-10% more which would vote ndp but don't because of our system whom vote Liberal just to keep out the Conservatives. I've seen polls in this last year before the election which had the NDP at 20-25%!