NDP calls for uncivil MPs to be suspended without pay

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
The NDP is suffering from The Quixote Complex

And as the Sarge would say......
GEICO - Sarge - YouTube

- DS ... Maybe their problem is The Quixote Complex or maybe its simply a missionary zeal they tend to have which persuades them that they are invariably on the side of the angels and that their noble causes are ends which justify pretty much any means including being the nastiest pricks in parliament.

- That commercial is hilarious and the actor who plays the ex-drill sargeant is terrific. Unfortunately for him, he publicly supported Romney and said in a recent TV interview that he hasn't worked since he "came out" for the Mittster. It seems that Hollyweird's claims of liberal tolerance do not extend to democracy in politics.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I understand the word just fine.

But that isn't the only post you've made on the subject...

It's not a matter of you might defend this nonsense, you've done so, willingly, and consistently.

But I can understand why you want to pretend to backpedal on it now. Despite your die hard party affiliation.

Don't stop taking your meds.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't stop taking your meds.

LOL, you and the NDP just got PWNED, and by Teddy to boot.

To funny.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Too many people that will bend over backwards to incorporate an individual perspective on what is 'civil' or considered to be off sides.... If the NDP really want this, they can provide, in excruciating detail, exactly how people WILL act in Parliament. Any deviation earns punishment.

Doesn't sound too credible, but if that's what is wanted, then this is a solution that will deliver and allow for no subjective interpretations

It can't be too strict either. Certainly if an MP goes a little too far but immediately retracts or apologizes, people do slip sometimes. However, cases where he's clearly unapologetically crossing the line is what we'd want to put an end to.

From what I can gather from watching the news, the N.D.P. may be the worst offenders! -:) (Suicide by mouth)

Possibly, though again if often depends on the individual too.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
-
. Unfortunately for him, he publicly supported Romney and said in a recent TV interview that he hasn't worked since he "came out" for the Mittster. It seems that Hollyweird's claims of liberal tolerance do not extend to democracy in politics.
d

What a crock od shyte. He hasn't worked in years and that's one of the reasons he took the job doing a lowly commercial. He was out of work when bushy boy was president. Publicly supporting romney had nothing to do with it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It can't be too strict either. Certainly if an MP goes a little too far but immediately retracts or apologizes, people do slip sometimes. However, cases where he's clearly unapologetically crossing the line is what we'd want to put an end to.

... So, that brings us back to determining what is considered 'civil' on an individual basis and who's definition will trump someone else's.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
... So, that brings us back to determining what is considered 'civil' on an individual basis and who's definition will trump someone else's.

Why does it have to be so complicated? Workplaces all across this country have standards of behaviour and conduct. Why are the MPs (our employees) allowed to conduct themselves in a manner that McDonald's employees are not? If the fry cook is not allowed to shout obscenities, taunts and insults across the kitchen, why the hell should MPs be allowed to do so across the floor of the HOC?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Newfies... Thats where the maternal side of my family comes from. They were always nice to us. Couldn't understand much of what the old timers said but the younger ones were good at translating.

When I lived in Alberta and BC, people would often refer to me as a Newfie when I told them I came from Nova Scotia. They knew the difference, they just thought it was funny. The accents are somewhat similar in comparison to the Western Canadian accent, at least.

When it comes to Question Period I would recommend every MP casts an eye up to the Grade 8 classes sitting in the balcony observing and try to behave at least as well as them.

That's civil enough for Parliament.

Question Period depresses me. People are much more civil on this forum. I would actually like to see a law like this in place in fact. They should get even worse punishments for the backhanded compliments.

As an emigrant, trying to stay caught up in Canadian politics can be depressing. The news filters things to the point of ignorance, and the politicians bicker like children.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why does it have to be so complicated? Workplaces all across this country have standards of behaviour and conduct. Why are the MPs (our employees) allowed to conduct themselves in a manner that McDonald's employees are not? If the fry cook is not allowed to shout obscenities, taunts and insults across the kitchen, why the hell should MPs be allowed to do so across the floor of the HOC?

I fully agree with you here. It's not like we're asking them to be angels. Asking them to be reasonably well behaved within certain parameters is not too much to ask for.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Some animals are more equal than others.

What animals?!? All animals should be treated equal.

Well maybe not the snakes, they're pretty low.

But Bears rock! ;)

Question Period depresses me. People are much more civil on this forum. I would actually like to see a law like this in place in fact. They should get even worse punishments for the backhanded compliments.

As an emigrant, trying to stay caught up in Canadian politics can be depressing. The news filters things to the point of ignorance, and the politicians bicker like children.

Question Period depresses me and I still live here! Discourse is in distress and debate equates to raging arguments.

But what I find most depressing of all is all the citizens who buy into the whole "tow the party line" bias. If anything I feel as if the party I voted for owes me more accountability and should be subjected to more scrutiny, not the other way around.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember reading a case in the newspaper last year or the year before about a primary school teacher who was embarrassed by the behaviour on the House floor when she'd brought her class there on a school trip.

When it gets so bad that a primary school teacher has to feel embarrassed at having to explain the behaviour of the MPs, then it's gone too far.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Your wisdom prevails!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Quite a while ago, I was having a rather ruckus conversation about the corruption in the Federal Liberal government, with an immagrant from Romania.

He scoffed at what we Canadians find abhorrent in politics.

He then rattled off the list of reasons he immigrated to Canada from Romania and asked who I thought was responsible for those issues.

His apathy annoyed me. But the truth made me smile...

Here's some real decorum issues for you...

Real Democracy? HUGE FIGHT in Ukraine Parliament over Language Law. Would you want this in UK/U.S? - YouTube

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But what I find most depressing of all is all the citizens who buy into the whole "tow the party line" bias. If anything I feel as if the party I voted for owes me more accountability and should be subjected to more scrutiny, not the other way around.

To where?-:)

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Quite a while ago, I was having a rather ruckus conversation about the corruption in the Federal Liberal government, with an immagrant from Romania.

He scoffed at what we Canadians find abhorrent in politics.

He then rattled off the list of reasons he immigrated to Canada from Romania and asked who I thought was responsible for those issues.

His apathy annoyed me. But the truth made me smile...

Here's some real decorum issues for you...

I'm with you on that. I may have left Canada for other parts of the world, but I still think Canada is one of the best places in the world to live. These so called First World Problems can be a case of Strawman Has a Point in that we need to be vigilant and have high standards to keep our country great and to constantly strive for betterment.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Why you ask?.. 2 reasons really:

1. It's the NDP we're talking about, these clowns will over complicate the decision for the choice of mustard on their ham sammich.
  2. We can't fire MPs the same way a cook yelling obscenities in the kitchen can be canned.