N.J. man jailed after bank teller accidentally gives him an extra $2,700

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The teller counts of three hundred dollars - or 3 thousand- big difference- The man knew it was an error - He should have told the teller then and there- Cut it left, right, spin it top to bottom or bottom to top- It is still theft. The money was not his - he knew who the rightful owner was. He stole it.

So if someone gives you money but didn't mean to, it's theft?

What if a restaurant forgets to charge you for an item on your meal - what do you do? That would be theft, according to you, because the restaurant gave you something.

He didn't steal the money. The teller gave it to him by mistake. He didn't actively take the money, he accepted what was given to him.

Try as hard as you like, you'd never make a theft charge stand up in court.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

What if a restaurant forgets to charge you for an item on your meal - what do you do? That would be theft, according to you, because the restaurant gave you something.

He didn't steal the money. The teller gave it to him by mistake. He didn't actively take the money, he accepted what was given to him.

Yeah, you are probably right in that he's not technically guilty of theft. It might even be a case that should be tried in civil court. If not a thief he's definitely a sleazebag, refusing to return money that is not his. Either way he's going to return the money or likely end up in jail.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

You are playing word games with ethics- carry on - Where your ethics are and mine are may be different

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You are playing word games with ethics- carry on - Where your ethics are and mine are may be different

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would tell the whole wide world they support a sleazebag. Doesn't do much for the resume. :lol:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Dunno.... It wasn't all that long ago if good fortune laid 2700 extra bucks in my hands, I could have found some creditor and grocer hands eager to accept most of the winfall. Does that make me a sleazebag? There, but for good luck and a bit of training (in lieu of those words that would certainly derail the thread) go any of us

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Ethics? Word games? I thought we were talking about a criminal charge. I must have misread the article.

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would tell the whole wide world they support a sleazebag. Doesn't do much for the resume. :lol:

I guess you don't believe in the law and rules. Must be an interesting world you live in.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ethics? Word games? I thought we were talking about a criminal charge. I must have misread the article.

I guess you don't believe in the law and rules. Must be an interesting world you live in.

You just don't seem to get it!! "the law and rules", REALLY!! Please link us to the law and rules that says you are supposed to keep stuff that doesn't belong to you. Time to piss or get off the pot.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Pressing criminal charges means having to prove intent. You know, means rea, diarrhea etc. No doubt the guy owes the money as a civil matter. That's an easy one.