N.J. man jailed after bank teller accidentally gives him an extra $2,700

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Depends on circumstances. A friend, emoployer, whatever gives him the check to cash in, and he didn't look closely at the amount, or was busy or distracted by other things in life and was just taking the money. Highly unlikely, but still within the realm of possibility and so must still be considered in the court case, which I'm sure it will be explored.

Highly unlikely.

From the source article.

DePadula was charged Wednesday after officers reviewed security footage at the bank that showed him watching the teller count out $3,000.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Highly unlikely.

From the source article.

You could be watching with your eyes but still not even noticing what's in front of you, in your own little world.

Again, under all the circumstances, highly unlikely, and the fact that he lost the envelope is questionable, but it will be explored in court.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You could be watching with your eyes but still not even noticing what's in front of you, in your own little world.

Again, under all the circumstances, highly unlikely, and the fact that he lost the envelope is questionable, but it will be explored in court.

LOL. Machjo, if I ever go on trial for murder, I hope you are on the jury! :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
LOL. Machjo, if I ever go on trial for murder, I hope you are on the jury! :)

Leave no stone unturned.

One thing though: let's ay he had to sign a paper acknowledging his receipt of 3000.00, then that could be interpreted as accepting responsibility for it. Never sign while daydreaming. Pay attention to what you sign at least. If that's the case and there is no evidence he spent that money or anything, we may have to accept he lost it, in which case it's less a matter of theft so much as a civil case, maybe declare bankruptcy? And if the bank signs him off on that 3000.00 with no strings attached, the bank has some responsibility too. So again, I'm sure many factors will be exploredin court.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I guess it depends on whether the judge believes him, if so I have a bridge for sale the judge might buy. :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I guess it depends on whether the judge believes him, if so I have a bridge for sale the judge might buy. :lol:

Again, depends. Let's say there is no bank statement indicating he used any of that money, no recent purchases, no money found on his property, and especially if he'd mentioned to a friend he'd lost the money and was angry about it, lookiing for it, etc.

All depends.

Again, it seems too convenient for him to have lost the money, but coincidences do happen.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Again, depends. Let's say there is no bank statement indicating he used any of that money, no recent purchases, no money found on his property, and especially if he'd mentioned to a friend he'd lost the money and was angry about it, lookiing for it, etc.

All depends.

Again, it seems too convenient for him to have lost the money, but coincidences do happen.

That's why the law is based on "beyond reasonable doubt" and why we don't hang people.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I once had a teller pay me the date on the cheque, instead of the dollar amount. I pointed it out to her right away, but it was funny to me.

All of you people agreeing that he was guilty of theft, I have a question. Do you review every restaurant bill, and make sure that you have been charged for everything, and make sure you are being charged the correct amount? Because it would be wrong for you to allow the restaurant to forget something or to make an error and charge you less, would it not?

I can also assume that you count your change after every purchase, to make sure you don't accidentally get too much back. Because that would, of course, be theft.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The self check-out machine at Safeway overpaid me 20 cents in change just the other day. I guess I'm a criminal.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I once had a teller pay me the date on the cheque, instead of the dollar amount. I pointed it out to her right away, but it was funny to me.

All of you people agreeing that he was guilty of theft, I have a question. Do you review every restaurant bill, and make sure that you have been charged for everything, and make sure you are being charged the correct amount? Because it would be wrong for you to allow the restaurant to forget something or to make an error and charge you less, would it not?

I can also assume that you count your change after every purchase, to make sure you don't accidentally get too much back. Because that would, of course, be theft.

Possibly not but one thing I do for any substantial bill is roughly total up what I think it should be in my head, and if the result is within 5% or so..............good enough. $2700 is just a tad beyond the realm of reasonable error!

The self check-out machine at Safeway overpaid me 20 cents in change just the other day. I guess I'm a criminal.

Only if you didn't turn it in. LOL

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hell no I didn't turn it in. I bought tthree pixie sticks. I paid GST on the three pixie sticks so I guess the Feds are accomplices.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My wife had a better spin on it. Play the religious card. Since he was not able to work which usually translates into broke tell the judge you prayed to god for some money and there it was. After all they claim that the lord works in mysterious ways.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The bank teller made a mistake and he got too much money. Whether he knows it or not he's responsible for returning what he got. However, getting the police involved is a little overboard. Overdraw his account and let collections chase him. That wrath is usually much worse than the police anyway.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My wife had a better spin on it. Play the religious card. Since he was not able to work which usually translates into broke tell the judge you prayed to god for some money and there it was. After all they claim that the lord works in mysterious ways.

One problem.............it might be difficult to get a religious judge!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The bank teller made a mistake and he got too much money. Whether he knows it or not he's responsible for returning what he got. However, getting the police involved is a little overboard. Overdraw his account and let collections chase him. That wrath is usually much worse than the police anyway.

Actually he is NOT responsible for anything. He is not a thief or a crook like some are saying. I have no idea where the idea of the police and arrest came into this but it is indicative of how the banks hold sway over everything in this society. The actual culprit in this event is the teller and that is who should be held responsible. Any half-decent lawyer will get this guy off and I hope he then sues for wrongful imprisonment and slander. I can't believe the unmitigated gall of this bank to have him arrested and humiliated and possibly ruin his life over a mistake by their own employee to the tune of $2700.

Definition of THEFT

1 a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it

b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property

2 obsolete : something stolen

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually he is NOT responsible for anything. He is not a thief or a crook like some are saying. I have no idea where the idea of the police and arrest came into this but it is indicative of how the banks hold sway over everything in this society. The actual culprit in this event is the teller and that is who should be held responsible. Any half-decent lawyer will get this guy off and I hope he then sues for wrongful imprisonment and slander. I can't believe the unmitigated gall of this bank to have him arrested and humiliated and possibly ruin his life over a mistake by their own employee to the tune of $2700.

So your contention is the guy had no idea he was being over paid by $2700? If there is no expectation for the guy to speak up when being over paid by $2700, then he would have no business speaking up if he was underpaid the same. There is an old adage - "what's good for the goose is good for the gander". How do you know the bank didn't politely ask for their money back before calling the cops?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep, draws a pretty distinct line between who is honest and who is a crook. :lol:

Maybe....& maybe not. This might show the line between being truely
desperate and not. Someone truely desperate might do something that
they might otherwise never do.

Dude was cashing a $300 paycheque and this story isn't from 1975, &
who knows how long he's been try'n to live on $300 paycheques? It's
sad, in that if the numbers where larger (a $3000 paycheque and the
Teller tried to give him $30,000), the guy most likely would have stopped
the Teller at the wicket, 'cuz he wouldn't need the difference.

Maybe I'm misguided in my opinion, but desperate people tend to do
desperate things from what I've seen.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So your contention is the guy had no idea he was being over paid by $2700? If there is no expectation for the guy to speak up when being over paid by $2700, then he would have no business speaking up if he was underpaid the same. There is an old adage - "what's good for the goose is good for the gander". How do you know the bank didn't politely ask for their money back before calling the cops?

Whether he knew or not is irrelevant in this case. The mistake was made by an employee of the bank, not the man in question. He did not force or coerce the teller into overpaying him therefore there is no theft. The bank can ask for their money back all they want but in the end they should be asking the teller who has the responsibility to ensure the transaction is correct. This poor schmuk is now being prosecuted for the actions of another person and unless there is proof they were working together as accomplices he should, under the law, get off scott free.