Muslims Sue Over Cartoons

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The facts of this matter:

(a) The press, in Canada, has the right to publish controversial materials that are not in contravention of the Criminal Code of Canada.

(b) Any citizen, in Canada, has the right to sue another (or an organization) if they think that damage has been done as a result of an alleged contravention of the limitation set forth in fact (a) above; it is not up to the majority to rule on whether or not the charge is a perversion of common sense, but rather for the judiciary to decide whether or not the charge is true.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well there you have it ITN, Canada doesn't believe in free speech.

How have you been anyways? Feeling particularly free today? Cause I'm not.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am not sure how you could have drawn that conclusion from my previous post, Jay. All I said was that while freedom of speech is recognized, so too is the freedom of speech of those who would protest the use of the same.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Don't worry about....this is a problem we aren't going to solve today.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Re: RE: Muslims Sue Over Cartoons

FiveParadox said:
No, the purpose of the Government of Canada is to provide peace, order and good government — it has been a long-established practice in Canada, in terms of opinions of the House of Commons, and rulings of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council (and later, the Supreme Court of Canada) that the primary purpose of the Government is to ensure that peace and safety are secure; rights and freedoms tend to be a concern only after that peace and order are established.

Franco and Salazar and the Greek Colonels said much the same thing to justify their authoritarian rule.

One could take this a step further and say that all means to any end is justifiable as long as the end is reached. Citizens in this kind of society don’t really have rights as much as they believe that they do.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Zan said:
freedoms carry responsibilites - but unfortunately there are still many who want one without the other

nope, thats where your wrong. freedom comes with no responsibility otherwise freedom would not be freedom.....freedom would just be used as a cloak to tow the line and disagree only if it is deemed reasonable by the masses or the government. The only barrier to free speech should be directally threatning someone.......other than that anything should go. Like I said before organizations like the Human Rights Commission have gone from being a shield to becoming a sword..

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think the families of the dead should be suing the Mullahs for inciting people to riot including the Danish Muslim Activist who started this ball of ridiculous insanity rolling.

Freedom of speech should not be trumped by any group or religion even when it offends. Heck, Darkbeaver offends me and I haven't called for him to be muzzled or burned at the beaver stake.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
It should be an interesting trial considering the entire up roar was propaganda spread by Muslim Clerics traveling the world winding up the Muslim populace months after the cartoons were publicised. In the end the Muslim Clerics will be the ones facing hard questions. There is going to be dirty laundry aired and it won't be the wests.

I agree with you RCS, the families should sue.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

Hank C said:
Zan said:
freedoms carry responsibilites - but unfortunately there are still many who want one without the other

nope, thats where your wrong. freedom comes with no responsibility otherwise freedom would not be freedom.....freedom would just be used as a cloak to tow the line and disagree only if it is deemed reasonable by the masses or the government. The only barrier to free speech should be directally threatning someone.......other than that anything should go. Like I said before organizations like the Human Rights Commission have gone from being a shield to becoming a sword..

perhaps it's just semantics, but I was referring to moral responsiblities - to treat others as we'd wish to be treated ourselves....

and while I appreciate your efforts to point out where I'm 'wrong', I'll refrain from deciding for you or anyone else who is right or wrong...everyone's entitled to their opinion. I may agree, disagree, or even settle for ambiguity, but I openly accept this truth: I don't have the answers all sewn up... if you feel you have it all figured out, then my hat's off to you - I'm nowhere near ready to announce such a feat...

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
At the risk of opening up another can of worms.

I still think that there was nothing wrong with the cartoon. I think it was a satiric view of how many non muslims view Islam due to the rash of violence and unrest.

You can only cry "God is Great" while perpetrating a violent act for so long before those around you start to think that your culture and religion are violent.

After all, look what Tom Cruise has done for the Scientologists.

Lunacy.
M

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

Retired_Can_Soldier said:

I still think that there was nothing wrong with the cartoon. I think it was a satiric view of how many non muslims view Islam due to the rash of violence and unrest.

You can only cry "God is Great" while perpetrating a violent act for so long before those around you start to think that your culture and religion are violent.

After all, look what Tom Cruise has done for there Scientologists.

Lunacy.
M

I agree with you on this one.

BTW the Scientology South Park cartoon was classic. :D

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's

Retired_Can_Soldier said:

After all, look what Tom Cruise has done for the Scientologists.

Lunacy.
M

Exactly. An image of a bomb wrapped up in the face of Muhammed i a commentary on extremist violence which is justified by being wrapped up in Islam. It's jarring because the viewer realizes that that bomb simply does not belong in muhmmeds turban... and by extension, violence doesn't belong in Islam...

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Muslims Sue Over Cart

Couldn't agree more. Further to this, if islamic people are abhorred by these cartoons, then perhaps they should reign in their fundamentalist extremists and stop them from their 'war without reason'

then, people might just take them more seriously.

Allah is an interventionist god. and if allah wishes something to be done, he'd do it himself, wouldn't he?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Zan said:
Hank C said:
Zan said:

perhaps it's just semantics, but I was referring to moral responsiblities - to treat others as we'd wish to be treated ourselves....

yes that is how society should work, treat others are you would like to be treated....there is no question about that.

What I am trying to say though is that freedom does not come with responsibility, freedom only exists when there are no strings attached. Remember freedoms are meaningless until they come into conflict with the other guys view on what is acceptable.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

cortez said:
sue the bastards for every danish crona theyve got

ok using your faulty logic, should we sue the people who created piss christ? or what about that cartoon with jesus and the pig (ill spare you the details). If christians had acted like the muslims did (they did not, they wrote letters and called talk shows instead) would you advocate they sue?

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

Hank C said:
cortez said:
sue the bastards for every danish crona theyve got

ok using your faulty logic, should we sue the people who created piss christ? or what about that cartoon with jesus and the pig (ill spare you the details). If christians had acted like the muslims did (they did not, they wrote letters and called talk shows instead) would you advocate they sue?

no
because there never was a jesus
so mocking a character of fiction is not slanderous