MSNBC drops simulcast of Don Imus show

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mikey and JimMoyer

I hope we see more of this fella Jason Whitlock on the regular networks - I would like to hear him and get his views on other issues, not just the current Imus situation.

He kept hitting homers in his ad lib broadcasting this morning... I couldn't believe we didn't hear from him before this. He has some astounding ideas which can only benefit his people - releasing them from that old basic slavery voodoo which is still keeping some in chains.... mental chains.

unspoken

Nominee Member
Jun 3, 2005
SK
These are the questions that arise to me in this whole situation:

1. Where were the "anti-racism activists" like Sharpton et all for all these years when Imus was saying far worse things about Arabs, Jews, etc? And how come they haven't come out and apologized for wrecking the lives and careers of the people who they've falsely accused of racial misdoings in the past? Perhaps they should lose their positions too.

2. Imus' comments were meant as a joke. And yes, they were definitely in bad taste. But how come comedians like Chris Rock can use the same language and terms, and get huge laughs and no complaints. Nobody's ever called for the TV networks to remove their shows. And don't give me the BS argument about it being okay because they're talking about their own, because plenty of them break out the "cracker" jokes all the time and never hear a word about it. And believe it or not, that's a racial slur too.

3. The rap argument has already been brought up, but those downplaying it are forgetting a few things. The first is that the rappers have far more mediums to go through with their messages, and are far wider spread then Imus' radio show. The other is that the same conglomorates which own the radio stations are also the owners of many of the major record labels. So the argument to get rid of the rappers is completely justified.

4. I have a hard time believing that the outcry by Sharpton and the rest would exist if either a) the comments were made by a black radio personality AND/OR b) the members of the Rutgers women's basketball team was predominantely caucasian.

Like someone said before, it's all about the money. The advertisers started to go away so the radio station dropped him. The rappers are still going to be allowed to do it because they bring in the cash. It's a terrible double-standard.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I don't think the rappers are going to like what's coming. Maybe activists like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have won the initial skirmish here but the war has just begun.
The victim card that has protected such a juvenile industry as rap needs to be shredded and stuffed in their ears.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't think the rappers are going to like what's coming. Maybe activists like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have won the initial skirmish here but the war has just begun.
The victim card that has protected such a juvenile industry as rap needs to be shredded and stuffed in their ears.
Who are you to say what they have coming? You are a white dude sitting in the boon docks, you have no perspective of that culture. There is all sorts of crap on media today, to tie black violence to gangsta music is BS. Have you listened to the crap produced White Nationalists? Do you prefer the term "pimping the bitch" to "slapping my slave?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Durka, what are you smoking? Stop it! For the sake of all that might make sense in this poor, addled world, clear your head. Rap is a hugely successful musical genre and gangsta rap is a mega-millions industry. It is the latter that has mainstreamed "ho" and "bitch" and no other can take credit. Rap is going to get blasted. Good.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Durka, what are you smoking? Stop it! For the sake of all that might make sense in this poor, addled world, clear your head. Rap is a hugely successful musical genre and gangsta rap is a mega-millions industry. It is the latter that has mainstreamed "ho" and "bitch" and no other can take credit. Rap is going to get blasted. Good.
Tamarin, the opinion of the general white population is not going to sensor what rappers want to say. Regardless of what suits thinks is acceptable, it will continue. There is money to be had by these bithes and ho's. the cash registar will continue to ring.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I take it their are not a lot of rap fans on this thread. Wasn't rock once called the devils music? I can just imagine what parents thought of Judas Priest.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Money talks, morals walk. We'll see what part of the carnival ride we're on next. I'm looking forward to the entertainment juggernaut taking some hits soon. Few things have been as little supportive of a civil society as it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Why was he watching this team in the first place. Anyone know the beginning of this story?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
MSNBC drops simulcast of Don Imus show

But program's ultimate fate still rests with CBS executives

“We should have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to what I see as irresponsible, racist behavior,” Gordon said. “The Imus comments go beyond humor. Maybe he thought it was funny, but that’s not what occurred.”................

rest of the story..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/?GT1=9246

The link has more.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The link doesn't say what prompted him to talk about the team in the first place.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
So he randomly selected one of 200,000 (give or take 100,000) basketball teams to talk about for no reason other than they being nappy headed hos?