MSNBC drops simulcast of Don Imus show

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Everyone screams about "PC" I dont call it "PC" I call it Common Courtisy. But thats me.

I'm with you. This was a stupid comment. I don't know if he deserved to be fired for that particular one, but I'm someone who thought his show sucked all the time anyways.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't even no what nappy means but I’m told it is racist. .

Perhaps your lack of exposure to this particular expression is why you don't understand the offense it caused. Trust me, I wouldn't tell a black woman she had nappy hair or call her a sl*t unless I was looking to throw down. I wouldn't tell her I liked ghetto booties either, since there are a lot of black women who don't live in the ghetto and would probably be offended at that suggestion. If Imus didn't know this was going to cause some trouble, he's not too bright. He was no doubt looking for controversy when he made that comment. I don't feel sorry for him because he got more trouble than he bargained for.

Reactions: selfactivated

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Everyone screams about "PC" I dont call it "PC" I call it Common Courtisy. But thats me.

I agree that he did not show common curtesy but he rarely does. Take for example his verbal assualt on the wife of a Boston Talk Show host/columnist (Howir Carr). He was told that Howie said something derogatory about him on his show (which he didn't) by a rival columnist.

Imus went on to say

"It is only a matter of time before Riddick Bowe (An African American Heavy weight Boxer) sticks it to Howie's wife.... again."

Well Howie Carr's wife sued Imus for libel and it was settled out of court. The settlement was closed but Howie says he shakes the hand of his wife's lawyer everytime he sees them and his wife loves her new condo in Florida.

My point is that the guy is a jerk and good riddens to him. I weep not. But he did indeed hit the PC Button THIS TIME and is paying for it.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I happen to like the channel thank you very much......I watch NBC and PBS (BBC) for news.

MSNBC is the lowest rated cable news network, and has bombed for a television channel. And now its lost one of its show.

And NBC (owner of MSNBC), is the most biast, left-wing, worthless media outlet in the country, rate up their with BBC.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
MSNBC is the lowest rated cable news network, and has bombed for a television channel. And now its lost one of its show.

And NBC (owner of MSNBC), is the most biast, left-wing, worthless media outlet in the country, rate up their with BBC.

Thats YOUR oppinion not mine. ABC and CBS are repubican based nonsense. I refuse to watch the news on those channels.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
CBS? You mean the Clinton Broadcasting System? FYI the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, is done by a man who is very close with the Democratic party and Bill Clinton.

ABC is more relatively in between.

NBC employed a military analysts, William Arkin, who said our soldiers in Iraq were mercenaries, and other awful insults about our troops.

Be against the war, but attacking our troops at war? Whoa nelly, no way.

Watching news that fits your own ideology hurts society, find the most neutral, balanced source and stick to it.

For me thats ABC, not FOX News Channel, but not MSNBC/NBC either.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
CBS? You mean the Clinton Broadcasting System? FYI the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, is done by a man who is very close with the Democratic party and Bill Clinton.

ABC is more relatively in between.

NBC employed a military analysts, William Arkin, who said our soldiers in Iraq were mercenaries, and other awful insults about our troops.

Be against the war, but attacking our troops at war? Whoa nelly, no way.

Watching news that fits your own ideology hurts society, find the most neutral, balanced source and stick to it.

For me thats ABC, not FOX News Channel, but not MSNBC/NBC either.

Yup watching him right now........I aint getting into politics with you.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Geez, I wonder if all the rap artists who use the term "nappy-headed hos" are going to get fired from their label now?

Nah, I don't think so either.

We aint talking rap singers........personally I hate the stuff. We ARE talking about a white man in a position that millions listen and he's calling young ladies names! If it was YOUR daughter you dont think You'd tear him a new one?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I wouldn't tell her I liked ghetto booties either, since there are a lot of black women who don't live in the ghetto and would probably be offended at that suggestion.
That’s okay because I wouldn’t want an uptight crybaby anyway.

Toro

Senate Member
We aint talking rap singers........personally I hate the stuff. We ARE talking about a white man in a position that millions listen and he's calling young ladies names! If it was YOUR daughter you dont think You'd tear him a new one?

And millions buy albums by 50 Cent, et. al. But that's okay, because Rappers are down in the hood with their bee-atches! Know what I'm talkin' about, dawg?

Allen Iverson looks like a thug from the Crips, and we can call him out on it, BTW.

Am I down with labelling women hos? Never done it in my life. But it ain't the "hos" that got Imus in trouble. It was the "Nappy-haired" that did it.

As long as your skin is the right colour, you can rap all the mysogynistic garbage you want, and the likes of Viacom ain't gonna do a thing.

And neither will Jesse Jackson, or that race-baiter Al Sharpton, a man who incited riots over false accusations.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
So your telling me just because idiots are aloud to create rap songs to sell to other idiots its AOK to call young women names?

As for the 2 wanna be preachers I agree the arent solving the problem They ARE part of the problem.

Its all about common curtisy at what point was THAT lost?!

Just the voice of another Ignorant Liberal!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I agree with you self.

These pathetic rappers calling woman awful names.

I have problems with them.

Don Imus, and demoizing towards woman-rappers are both in the public eye, and both should equally be scrutinized.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's all about money. Rappers and labels make money on it. CBS and MSNBC lose advertisers on it. Both make their choices based on the almighty dollar.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I still want to see these pathetic artists like 50cents, ludacris, snoop dog, etc. be scrutinized and judged for their words towards woman.

Their is no difference between snoop dog and Don Imus.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
What Hypocrites! How dare they be corperate jerks under the guise of doing the right and honourable thing! Oh wait Im living in fanntasy again aint I..........pffffffft

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Not sure what you meant by that but I heard corporate sponsors were jumping ship. Amazing how a decision gets made fast when dollars are pouring out the door.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
So NBC had a group huddle and decided they'd be good pc samaritans rather than consider the business element.