MP Maxime Bernier quits 'morally corrupt' Conservatives, plans to start new party

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am a Conservative Party member, I supported Bernier for leader, I agree with his views on diversity and supply management.
But there is room in the party for Bernier, and the main goal should be to destroy Trudeau and his incompetent, dangerous gov't. To do that we need to be a "big tent" party, that attracts people with differing views.
You don't always get your way Max.
What this episode demonstrated is twofold:
First, I was wrong to vote for Bernier, as he is obviously a manipulative, narcissistic, weasel of a man. And not very bright. He is not fit to be an MP, much less leader of a party.
Secondly, Scheer is much the superior political strategist. It is now obvious that Bernier wanted Scheer to kick him out, so he could claim there is no room for people that support his ideas in the party. But Scheer did not take the bait, demonstrating there was room in the party for a variety of views. Kudos to Scheer.
The party made the right choice in the leadership fight.
If Bernier gets this idiotic idea off the ground, and attracts just a tiny percentage of conservative voters, Trudeau will rule this country for another 8 or 12 years. By that time it will be irreparable.
Shame on you Max.
Shame.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Nope I am against supply side management for dairy chickens and telecommunications services. And corporate welfare for the entire province of Quebec. Bombardiers only reason to exist is to distribute welfare to machinists in Quebec who couldn't get a job elsewhere.

What about corporate welfare for other provinces? At least Bernier is consistent. He wants to cut corporate welfare Canada-wide, not just for Quebec.

They won't win him any votes in Quebec, which is a major supplier of dairy products ... one hell of a lot of cheese is made there. Dropping dairy marketing management might get him run out of Quebec on a rail.

In the hypothetical scenario that Bernier started his own party, I could see it becoming a primarily urban party for those who consumer agricultural products. It would get little traction in the rural regions where businesses might depend on the legislation.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I am a Conservative Party member, I supported Bernier for leader, I agree with his views on diversity and supply management.
But there is room in the party for Bernier, and the main goal should be to destroy Trudeau and his incompetent, dangerous gov't. To do that we need to be a "big tent" party, that attracts people with differing views.
You don't always get your way Max.
What this episode demonstrated is twofold:
First, I was wrong to vote for Bernier, as he is obviously a manipulative, narcissistic, weasel of a man. And not very bright. He is not fit to be an MP, much less leader of a party.
Secondly, Scheer is much the superior political strategist. It is now obvious that Bernier wanted Scheer to kick him out, so he could claim there is no room for people that support his ideas in the party. But Scheer did not take the bait, demonstrating there was room in the party for a variety of views. Kudos to Scheer.
The party made the right choice in the leadership fight.
If Bernier gets this idiotic idea off the ground, and attracts just a tiny percentage of conservative voters, Trudeau will rule this country for another 8 or 12 years. By that time it will be irreparable.
Shame on you Max.
Shame.

I don't know. I hope any party Bernier tries to establish fails, but at the same time, I hope he keeps his seat in Parliament. Parliament does need his views, but he could probably present them more effectively as an independent MP than as the leader of a party. He doesn't seem to be leadership material, however intelligent and understanding of economics as he may be.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
So where is the money to start a new party going to come from?

If we were smart, he'd brand himself as an independent MP for his riding. If he tries to build a new party from scratch, he could lose even his own riding then.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
As long as their cases are heard before they step foot on Canadian soil. The government has lost track of thousands of so called refugees, many that should not be permitted to enter the country.

Unfortunately, they cannot claim refugee status in Canada from the US. They have to cross the border first.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think Colpy was spot on in his analysis of the situation. Bernier can do what he wants, it appears the Conservatives are united and Harper summed it up best.
It is clear that Max never accepted the result of the leadership vote and seeks only to divide Conservatives. His decision today allows the Conservative Party of Canada to move forward united behind our Leader @AndrewScheer.
— Stephen Harper (@stephenharper) August 23, 2018

Maxime Bernier is no Lucien Bouchard.