More Seattle restaurants close doors as $15 minimum wage approaches

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Just thinking about a 15 dollar minimum wage is what shut them down? Oh brother.

It was absolutely profitable until an extra 100 dollar a day expense kicks in. Millionaires squashed just like that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is $15 an hr even a livable wage?

I live in downtown Ottawa on less. Not as well as I'd like but its enough to pay the bills and have a little bit of fun. Thats with full time hours though. If you make $15 or hell $20 an hour but are getting part time hours it'll still be a struggle in most cities.

Really, my son qualified for a mortgage on a condo at 15/hour. So I wouldn't exactly say that it is "barely" livable.

True. One of my co-workers did that last year with a similar wage. I was surprised that the banks would do that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Give'em the $15/hr and fire 2/3 of your staff.. adios

Quite possible, but then who would buy at these stores? Wal Mart and other similar large retailers are probably not getting most of their business from people making a hell of a lot of money.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The owners were living the dream until this.

They probably weren't living the dream. They probably had a good business and liked doing what they were doing. If you do not think losing $100 a day in profit for a small eatery is not a big deal then you aren't thinking it through. The Restaurant biz is tough as it is.

These aren't McDonalds we're talking about here.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
I live in downtown Ottawa on less. Not as well as I'd like but its enough to pay the bills and have a little bit of fun. Thats with full time hours though. If you make $15 or hell $20 an hour but are getting part time hours it'll still be a struggle in most cities.

true, the city you live in is a big factor.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Give'em the $15/hr and fire 2/3 of your staff.. adios

That seems to be the case there in Seattle. The libs who passed this ignored what the biz owners said was going to happen. Now they can enjoy the "FOR SALE" signs on all the shops.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
no one sees the irony in that restaurants popularity mostly comes from it's convenience as people work too many hours and rarely have the time to cook a proper meal at home?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
They probably weren't living the dream. They probably had a good business and liked doing what they were doing. If you do not think losing $100 a day in profit for a small eatery is not a big deal then you aren't thinking it through. The Restaurant biz is tough as it is.

These aren't McDonalds we're talking about here.
It's tough but the story is fear mongering propganda from the restaurant association. Not a single statistic to back up their "more closing doors" article. More compared to what and why?