Minimum wage rises in Canada

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't agree with paying stupid people anything for a job in which their stupidity prevents them from doing the job properly. As for the inflation what do you think caused it in the first place apart from rising wages. It's been going on since the 1950s - I'm surprised you haven't caught on yet. :lol:

Then why do we pay politians so much?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In this intelligence based pay structure what would you use as a baseline to guage the smarts to pay ratio?

You ask the tough questions there, Petro. First of all I would base pay scale on accomplishment- so handing people slurpies and hamburgers wouldn't be on the same scale as brain stem surgery. I have no problem with paying someone a good wage for shovelling a couple of yards of gravel, but I do have a problem with paying someone more than minimum wage for wandering around a store with their finger where the sun don't shine, unable to advise where the ball caps are or if they stock them. Actually I've known several highly intellectual people (in the academic sense) who are absolutely useless at performing basic tasks (quite often the Unions snap up those types and put them on their payroll and charge them back to the companies). :lol::lol::lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't know about you but I'd have one helluva time keeping track of 2sq km of seaonally rotated merchandise. The Hello Kitty inventory alone would be mind boggling.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
It's pretty damn obvious in #100 that you have never tried to live on a buck an hour,unless meby your talking about 1923,I had a number of 1$ an hour jobs in the 60s,so I can safely say you don't know what the f your talking about!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's pretty damn obvious in #100 that you have never tried to live on a buck an hour,unless meby your talking about 1923,I had a number of 1$ an hour jobs in the 60s,so I can safely say you don't know what the f your talking about!

And you do, A$$ hole?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So how many dollar an hour jobs have you had? In my world,experience trumps bullshyte every time.

Try 35 cents an hour digging fence post holes about 1956. Yep, my experience trumps your bullsh*t. :lol: I worked in Calgary in 1963 for a buck an hour. My rent was $22 a month for one room with small fridge and stove in a boarding house.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Try 35 cents an hour digging fence post holes about 1956. Yep, my experience trumps your bullsh*t. :lol: I worked in Calgary in 1963 for a buck an hour. My rent was $22 a month for one room with small fridge and stove in a boarding house.

Those days sure do bring back memories, and yet we survived and didn't realize how little we made. I think that was one reason I joined the Corps "57". :)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

It's all relative right? I made minimum wage working on a shellfish farm last summer. Minimum wage was $8.60 an hour, and my rent was $650. If I was boarding, it would have been about $250 a month. At that price, it's a little better than 18% of my wages. Which compares to your situation at 13.75% of your wages. I'm betting my fuel costs and food cost more too, and I was still a student trying to save something for school....