Life in BC

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yeah, lol, sounds like it, the more I typed, the more I thought of things we did, lots of good
memories, but now I have 30 years of good memories on the island, i'll have to ramble those
on this board some day, no I won't, don't worry. lol

Vancouver Island is a good place, just doesn't agree with my wife's health. Rain kind of interupts my daily routine too. -:)

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Everybody falls in love with Vancouver when they visit it. I did too. Especially in the summer time.

The first couple times I went through Vancouver, I thought it was beautiful. Walking around Granville Mall and the downtown area was pleasant, and there was so much to see. The mountains are beautiful. The ocean fronts are awesome. A trip to walk around the UBC grounds was exhilarating, etc. Yes, it is hard not to be distracted by all the physical beauty.

HOWEVER, building a life for yourself here is a whole other matter.
The beautiful scenery doesn't pay the rent or buy the groceries. (Yes, I suppose you could get a job in the tourism industry, but your wages would be low and you'd barely avoid living in poverty. So, effectively, I don't think that is an option.)
There is not a very broad or deep manufacturing industrial base in Vancouver; many university grads driving taxis and waiting on tables. The cost of living is high, taxes are excessive, and bureaucracy stifles a lot of business or deters them from coming here in the first place.

All the people I know wealthy enough to live in Vancouver, don't. They live outside of Vancouver itself, for example, Langley, Abbotsford, etc. The only people I know who live in Vancouver proper are newcomers to BC, young people, or visible minorities who want to stick close to their particular enclave. They come here wide-eyed and naïve, decide to live here--and then realize it is all but impossible to make a life for themselves in Vancouver. After a couple years, they know better; they realize they have been taken advantage of and misled and are tired of living near bankruptcy, so they move out to an area where the cost of living is lower.

And some more naïve newcomers come in to replace them and the cycle repeats.

Bottom line: don't come here expecting the roads to be paved with gold and a life of ease. If you do, you will be disappointed and bitter.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
one has to live a long way outside of vancouver to bring prices down significantly.

burnaby, richmond, coquitlam, port moody, surrey, New Westminster, not much different once you add the
price of everyday travel to vancouver to work, if that is what you want.

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Here is some additional information about life in the Vancouver area.

A study was just released (May 2013) that calculated the minimum amount of income a family needs to live in Vancouver.

24 Hrs: Living wage means earning $40/hour for family of four
Living wage means earning $40/hour for family | Local | News | Vancouver 24 hrs

Vancouver Sun: Don Cayo: A Vancouver family’s ‘living wage’ is more than what most earn
Don Cayo: A Vancouver family’s ‘living wage’ is more than what most earn

I don't know how long these links will remain valid; newspapers quickly move their online content to different locations.

In summary, a family of four needs an income of about $40 per hour to live a basic, no-frills, life. That can either be from one parent who makes it all, or a combination of the two. But it is still more than most families are making.

A search for "vancouver living wage" turns up a lot more material, if you are interested.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I lived in Vancouver in the early 70's and absolutely loved it. Would have stayed but met my "better half" who lived in Calgary. Guess who made the move? lol

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The OP has not been here for over two weeks, I don't think he gives a sh^t what you think!!