Liberal phobia and the cause….

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Here's a Liberal Party story.

I bought the house that I'm in about six years ago. I come home one day from
work and there's a Poster planted on my lawn for Ralph Goodale and the
Liberal Party. I phone Ralphs campaign office to ask them to remove the sign
from my lawn that I didn't authorize its planting on my lawn. Civil call and a done
deal....I though.

I was told that the Liberal Party had permission to have that sign on my lawn, &
that if I removed it, it was a criminal offence, & I would be prosecuted.

"Pardon?" 8O

I asked, "Permission from whom?" and was told the Home Owner. That would
be me....I explained that "I" was the Home Owner....and again asked to have the
sign removed from my lawn. I was then threatened again...and hung up on.

I called back, asked for the office manager, explained my story....and was then
swore at, threatened again, and hung up on. I call back again (they must have
had call-display) and was immediately hung up on again several times. Hmmm.

I Email Ralph to the Email he provides (so that he can keep his finger on the
pulse of his riding)...but guess what? Ralph doesn't answer his own Emails, and
some illiterate Dolt in his office does. Some Jabroni that doesn't use punctuation,
or a spell-check, and managed to misspell about every third word. It was bizarre.

A few more Emails with the same result....and I threw the sign in the garbage. They
can prosecute me to their hearts content. Good news is that they didn't replace the
sign, or replant others in the following elections. This really makes me thinK though:

So...either Ralph doesn't know anything about this (leaving me very doubtful about
his choice of staff and his ability to represent his constituents, like myself), or he
does and my opinion of him drops even lower. Ralph may be a Big Cheese in the
Liberal Party....but he's still my MP....but...here's where things are at. Nice. Like I
said, giving Ralph Goodale the benefit of the doubt, I'm expecting a return call or
Email (from Himself as my MP) any day now....and its been years I've been waiting.

Is this typical Liberal Party behaviour? I've no idea as I'm in Ralph Goodale's riding,
and nobody elses. :-|

Ron in Regina

" I was told that the Liberal Party had permission to have that sign on my lawn, &
that if I removed it, it was a criminal offence, & I would be prosecuted".

Hi Ron, I personally would have taken it down, and gone to the media and get mileage on bad publicity against the Liberals, that is your right, if no one helped you take it down, I am sure you are not saying that on the count of that the Liberals are out of it... Personally I would make noise and make sure Ralph would be aware of this noise.

Look I am not here to convert any one, I am just pissed off to see bullies at work and get away with it. If we call Canada a great country and we should because it is, we should see the example come from the top not from the bottom.

Cheers

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Hi JLM good to see you still talk to me,"

I very rarely quit talking to people, especially over things like differing opinions - sometimes when a guy gets obtuse I give it back to him but hey if you are going to talk politics you have to have a lot of patience or get off the thread. I just find focusing on one faux pas (to put it nicely) of one politician is pointless, as they are all basically tarred with the same brush with their snouts in the trough and their hands in our pockets. Guess I've repeated that thought a time or two, but some people seem to be slow catching on.. LOL

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Liberal phobia and the cause….

Ron in Regina

" I was told that the Liberal Party had permission to have that sign on my lawn, &
that if I removed it, it was a criminal offence, & I would be prosecuted".

Hi Ron, I personally would have taken it down, and gone to the media and get mileage on bad publicity against the Liberals, that is your right, if no one helped you take it down, I am sure you are not saying that on the count of that the Liberals are out of it... Personally I would make noise and make sure Ralph would be aware of this noise.

Look I am not here to convert any one, I am just pissed off to see bullies at work and get away with it. If we call Canada a great country and we should because it is, we should see the example come from the top not from the bottom.

Cheers

What I described...sure sounds like Bully'n to me...and go to the Media? Mine would'a
just been one story of many...& Goodale almost became the PM after that, but
Dion beat him out for the Leadership of the Party, & tanked. That's not the Guy I
needed to get into a pissing-match with. I suppose I could'a complaned to my MP.
Oh wait...yeah...

....& I did eventually garbage their sign.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Geez Soc.... Is rhetoric an official language?

I f you want it to be, especially when you may see your pension mangled with, because some bone head wants first class and asks you to pay for it with cuts to your standard of living.

when I am asked to pay for stupidity and waste , that is the rhetoric that becomes a real beach, and a real beach becomes a nightmare, think about it...................

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If anyone is unhappy with any of the candidates, that is exactly what they should do. Everyone should vote, even if they spoil the ballot, otherwise they have no reason to complain with the government elected to power.
It doesn't work that way. Spoiled ballots and blank ballots are counted but they don't mean anything. It's not the same as when you're voting for a Mayor and his crew. There you can leave the Mayor's "dot" blank and you send a message but federally and provincially, you are not sending any message. You would have to have a whole city (equivalent to) hand in blank ballots before it sent any message in the way you mean. Most people - I would say probably 99.9% of those who don't want any of the candidates simply don't bother to take the time to do anything so you cannot get a message out that way. We get it out the only way we can and vote the lessor of the 3 evils.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It doesn't work that way. Spoiled ballots and blank ballots are counted but they don't mean anything. It's not the same as when you're voting for a Mayor and his crew. There you can leave the Mayor's "dot" blank and you send a message but federally and provincially, you are not sending any message. You would have to have a whole city (equivalent to) hand in blank ballots before it sent any message in the way you mean. Most people - I would say probably 99.9% of those who don't want any of the candidates simply don't bother to take the time to do anything so you cannot get a message out that way. We get it out the only way we can and vote the lessor of the 3 evils.

A spoiled ballot means you went in, got your name stroked off the "I'm-okay-with-it" list and earned the right to bitch.

In the many elections I have scrutineered, spoiled ballots weren't counted as votes, but they were accounted for. In some statistician's heaven, they are countable.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I f you want it to be, especially when you may see your pension mangled with, because some bone head wants first class and asks you to pay for it with cuts to your standard of living.

when I am asked to pay for stupidity and waste , that is the rhetoric that becomes a real Bitch, and a real Bitch becomes a nightmare, think about it...................
sorry spelling correction..

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Liberal phobia had one major cause, and his name was Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
Colpy with the nice hair du, come on, he left being loved even by his enemies, look at how Brian went out dismantling his party for the longest time, and his enemies still hate Brian. That should say lots about who is who.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
My opinion as far as the OP is concerned is that neither side is better then the other.. All parties are guilty of acting much the same with one being perhaps a bit worse at one time then the other but switching places later on.. It's just dependent on who and what is in the lime light at the time..

Reactions: DurkaDurka

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My opinion as far as the OP is concerned is that neither side is better then the other.. All parties are guilty of acting much the same with one being perhaps a bit worse at one time then the other but switching places later on.. It's just dependent on who and what is in the lime light at the time..
Yup! They just take turns picking our pockets and swilling at the trough.
People who take this Liberal/Conservative, Left/Right crap seriously need to get a life. You may just end up poor old lambofgod9999, completely off your rockers.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Here's a Liberal Party story.

I bought the house that I'm in about six years ago. I come home one day from
work and there's a Poster planted on my lawn for Ralph Goodale and the
Liberal Party. I phone Ralphs campaign office to ask them to remove the sign
from my lawn that I didn't authorize its planting on my lawn. Civil call and a done
deal....I though.

I was told that the Liberal Party had permission to have that sign on my lawn, &
that if I removed it, it was a criminal offence, & I would be prosecuted.

"Pardon?" 8O

I asked, "Permission from whom?" and was told the Home Owner. That would
be me....I explained that "I" was the Home Owner....and again asked to have the
sign removed from my lawn. I was then threatened again...and hung up on.

I called back, asked for the office manager, explained my story....and was then
swore at, threatened again, and hung up on. I call back again (they must have
had call-display) and was immediately hung up on again several times. Hmmm.

I Email Ralph to the Email he provides (so that he can keep his finger on the
pulse of his riding)...but guess what? Ralph doesn't answer his own Emails, and
some illiterate Dolt in his office does. Some Jabroni that doesn't use punctuation,
or a spell-check, and managed to misspell about every third word. It was bizarre.

A few more Emails with the same result....and I threw the sign in the garbage. They
can prosecute me to their hearts content. Good news is that they didn't replace the
sign, or replant others in the following elections. This really makes me thinK though:

So...either Ralph doesn't know anything about this (leaving me very doubtful about
his choice of staff and his ability to represent his constituents, like myself), or he
does and my opinion of him drops even lower. Ralph may be a Big Cheese in the
Liberal Party....but he's still my MP....but...here's where things are at. Nice. Like I
said, giving Ralph Goodale the benefit of the doubt, I'm expecting a return call or
Email (from Himself as my MP) any day now....and its been years I've been waiting.

Is this typical Liberal Party behaviour? I've no idea as I'm in Ralph Goodale's riding,
and nobody elses. :-|

You should have phoned the Conservative party because they are famous for trashing Liberal lawn signs.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You should have phoned the Conservative party because they are famous for trashing Liberal lawn signs.
Oh please, every party as nerdowells that partake in the destruction of other parties media.

In some areas, it's more lop sided then others. Around here, Conservative media gets vandalized constantly.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You guys sound more than a little hypocritical. Like liberals don't blame the conservatives??? Give me a break. You should read more of Soc's posts....

Liberals don’t blame Conservatives for the misdeeds done by Liberals. No Liberal blamed the disastrous economic performance by Trudeau on his predecessors; there are plenty of Conservatives who blame the Mulroney economic disaster on Trudeau.

Nobody blames Conservatives for the Liberal sponsorship scandal. Conservatives in USA routinely blame the first Bush economic meltdown (the dot com meltdown in 2001-2002) on Clinton and the second Bush economic meltdown (2008-2009) on Obama and Clinton (and incredibly, also on Carter, it is a wonder they don’t go back to Kennedy and FDR).

I have seen posts here blaming the current economic meltdown on Obama, Clinton and Carter. Bush is of course, blameless.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Another silly comparison between Tweedledee and Tweedledumb, they've both done a couple of good things (Liberals back in the 90s reducing the debt the Cons. a few years ago bringing in pension splitting) and they've both done more than their share of bad things. We should just let it go at that and desist with this nonsense. :smile:

The two are in no way comparable, JLM. The first was a mighty achievement, continued in the face of the opposite pressure from USA (where Bush was racking up huge deficits, Liberals were going aginst the wind at that time in racking up huge surpluses). The other was simply a piece of legislation, which had bipartisan support.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don't vote for people, I vote for ideas. When push comes to shove a right winger will always act like a right winger and a left winger will always act like a left winger. As a result I don't care who heads a political party, I look at the underlying philosophy of that party, knowing that ultimately a party will move in the direction it advocates no matter what it says or promises.

Quite so, I have this running argument with Machjo. He thinks we should vote for candidates, not the parties and I keep telling him that voting for individual candidates doesn’t’ make sense in a Parliamentary democracy (it does make sense in American style system).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Quite so, Francis. It is really a question of which party's philosophy one agrees with. And I agree with Liberal party philosophy (sound economic management, tolerance, multiculturalism, strong support for minority rights, gay rights, women's rights, environmentalism etc.).

Conservative party stands for almost everything I oppose. Borrow and spend economics, taking away from the poor and helping the rich (statistics show that rich invariably get richer under conservative rule, poor get poorer), pandering to religious right, anti-environmentalism etc. The more extreme among them would like to dig up the long dead and settled issues of abortion, death penalty, gay marriage etc.

Sure Liberal politicians screw up from time to time (so do Conservative politicians), but their heart is in the right place. And you will never see me defending Liberal politicians here, only the liberal principles.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yup! They just take turns picking our pockets and swilling at the trough.
People who take this Liberal/Conservative, Left/Right crap seriously need to get a life. You may just end up poor old lambofgod9999, completely off your rockers.

Hey Cliff you took the words right out of my mouth..........................and some people build a life around this sh*t. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
" there are plenty of Conservatives who blame the Mulroney economic disaster on Trudeau."

That kind of sh*t happens in cases where there is a party change. When Trudeau knew his days were numbered, he knew Mulroney would have to wallow in the sh*t he left behind and I wouldn't put it past the diabolical old bastard for a minute to pull a few "fast ones", on the bright side it was just as diabolical of an old bastard that inherited it.