Liberal MP's anti-Islamophobia motion set for debate next week

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I meant to refer it to schools. It was requested in either Que or Ont. But here is what a quick ck on Google reveals

GERMANY BANS SAUSAGES: Pork banned in cafes and schools to 'not offend refugees' | World | News | Express.co.uk

And WTF does a ban in Germany have to do with Canada?

It might be interesting to consider that there is no such thing as Islamophobia because there is no fear of Islam that is unreasonable.

You are one sick twisted puppy

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Islamophobia and its already covered in our hate speech laws, which cover all religons.

I agree that any blasphemy law should apply to all religions equally and should not conflict with international human-rights laws relating to freedom of expression. In effect, I don't see much difference between blasphemy laws within such parameters and our present laws, unless someone can elaborate on how they might be a little better? If so, I can't see any significant improvement on our present laws beyond maybe in some details.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bruno Bets ‏@BrunoBets
I have worked and schooled with Muslims here for 40+ years. Why is this a problem now and why won't you talk to CBC?

I rarely read about anti-Muslim hate crimes here in Toronto. If we have the most Muslims, shouldn't we have the most hate crimes?

Is that why no comprehensive study done? Because the facts will not back up your bull**** claims? "I owe so much to Canada". Right.

https://twitter.com/BrunoBets/status/830138465740275718

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If Muslims would learn to gain respect from Canadians, there would not be any islamophobia

These guys sure have mine, Durry.

A trio of Syrian newcomers to Halifax, concerned with the amount of food they witnessed going to waste at a local food bank, have come up with a delicious baking enterprise that's helping them connect with their new community.

Rafat Harb and brothers Ahmad and Alla Alhraki are tempting palates at the Halifax Seaport Farmer's Market, sharing the delicacies of their home country with their new city.

Their booth, Piece of the East, has been open for three weeks now, and they've been busy making and selling pickles, coconut bread, baklava and other Syrian treats.

The idea for the business started last year, when they were volunteering at the Parker Street Food Bank as part of an empowerment course that helps newcomers with financial literacy, community integration and language skills.

As they were sorting food one day, they realized how much produce was being passed over just because it wasn't perfect looking or was too ripe to go in a hamper.

Sylvia Gawad, founder of Piece of the East and the men's English teacher, said the trio came to her and said "'we wish we could make something out of this.'"

"And I said 'why not?'"

Gawad, herself a newcomer to Canada, is from Egypt and lived in Libya before coming to Halifax in 2011 for university.

She said she's been blown away by the tenacity and resourcefulness of her business partners.

"The boys are so creative. They can make something out of anything," she said, adding that the project has served as a huge help in navigating their new lives in Canada.

"Having come from a war-torn country, there's this combination of having to be smart about using resources available to them, combined with just being creative."

"They're using their skills, talent, pride — they don't want to rely on government funding, they don't want to rely on welfare. They want to be able to save for their future."

For now, the group is using kitchen space provided by Hope Blooms — another social enterprise in Halifax — and relying on food donations from the food bank.

However, said Gawad, their short term goal is to find additional sources of food donations — other food banks, or perhaps farms — and a kitchen space to call their own.

Long term, she said, the group dreams of opening a pay-what-you-can restaurant, where a portion of the profits would go back into community programs.

Syrian Newcomers To Halifax Combat Food Waste With New Farmer's Market Booth

If her bill passed would it mean school children would be arrested for their childish taunting? This is just plain silly.
We have laws against assault and willful damage to any person for any reason. That should be good enough. You can't successfully legislate that people cannot tell other people when they do not like them.
I find myself in agreement with you on this, DM. I see no need for yet another layer of laws - if this motion even gets that far - when our current ones suffice.

So Ms. Khalid was taunted at school!

I consider taunting to be hand-in-hand with bullying, DM - issues much in the public eye these days thanks to the many anti-bullying campaigns and a better awareness of the harm it can do.

Growing a thicker skin takes time and each layer is another reminder of what you went through to get it. I know, I was bullied and taunted when I was a kid.

All people need to grow up and deal with it when they feel insulted. It isn't the end of the world.
Of course you are right, DM - it isn't the end of the world - it only feels like that when your are a little kid and a bunch of other kids are yelling at you and calling you names.

Obviously, Ms Khalid did manage to overcome it or she would not be where she is today. That said, there is no need what-so-ever for more laws on this matter.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Against Islam.

Jews are victims of more hate crimes than muslims yet they arent asking for a special word.

antisemitism
and many jews aren't even semites
go figure

geez, actions speak louder than words anyway
and too sheltered children produces too sheltered adults
...and adult life is likely better when one has already learned to have a thicker skin

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually Canada's anti-hate laws should already cover discrimination against Muslims. Is new legislation really needed?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Motion 103

Text of the Motion

That, in the opinion of the House, the government should: (a) recognize the need to quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear; (b) condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination and take note of House of Commons’ petition e-411 and the issues raised by it; and (c) request that the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage undertake a study on how the government could (i) develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making, (ii) collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and that the Committee should present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion, provided that in its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Iqra Khalid - Private Members' Motions - Current Session

This motion will be debated in the House tomorrow, February 15th. The motion was one of the topics on both Power Play and, Power and Politics today. What I learned by listening to all the participants on both shows is that the motion is a long way from becoming a law, if ever. There does not appear to be universal support for the motion as it reads now. Expect to see another of the Liberal's much beloved committees struck to study the matter which at best will put it on the back burner, if not in the fridge, for a couple of years.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Bruno Bets ‏@BrunoBets
I have worked and schooled with Muslims here for 40+ years. Why is this a problem now and why won't you talk to CBC?

I rarely read about anti-Muslim hate crimes here in Toronto. If we have the most Muslims, shouldn't we have the most hate crimes?

Is that why no comprehensive study done? Because the facts will not back up your bull**** claims? "I owe so much to Canada". Right.

]
If there are so many Muslims in Toronto, how come they have not gained the respect of Canadians just like a lot of other religious immigrants??

Why is it that we need laws for a particular religious group just because they can't gain respect from Canadians ??? Is it because of Canadians or is it because of the religion??

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
1 incident and we need a motion for Islamophobia, why not have another motion:

I remember a Muslim attacking parliament hill and in a separate incident running over aand killing a Canadian solider.

That, in the opinion of the House, the government should: (a) recognize the need to quell the increasing amount of anti-western values and sentiment prevalent in Muslim Immigrants that cause fear and distrust; (b) condemn Terrorism and all forms of terrorism and take note of the fact the Quran is used as a excuse to kill innocents and the issues raised by those convictions; and (c) request that the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage undertake a study on how the Muslim community could (i) develop a whole-of-Islamic approach to reducing or eliminating systemic Terrorism and Anti-Western values, in Muslim Communities, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making, (ii) collect data to contextualize the use of the Quran in terrorist attacks and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and that the Committee should present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion, provided that in its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Now because its written to be the other way, its bigotry and racist all of a sudden :lol:

Last edited: