Legalized euthanasia- Good or Bad?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No! Hell no! No possible way!

It is way too easy for someone in a depressed mood to be pressured into making this kind of a decision. And, how are you going to stop greedy relatives from pressuring the person?

Taking a life is simply wrong, any way that you do it.

We were discussing peeing the bed. Taking a life is wrong but ending your own is a personal choice and asking for it medically is a decision that greedy relatives can't make.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
When we're talking hard, is there really any decision?

See, this is what I mean. You just never know around here.

Lol

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
I've been mulling this over a lot and have come to the conclusion that there are up and down sides to it, but I don't agree that it's necessarily something to be ecstatic about. I see upsides, one it's going to eliminate a lot of suffering and two it's going to free up funds to treat treatable patients. On the downside, sooner of later there are going to be untimely deaths because of it. As we know from the news, mistakes are made in hospitals every day. Any other opinions?
It is only making legal what has been going on for years. Those on dialysis with no donors on the horizon because of age or other reasons have the right to refuse treatment. They die within a day or so by simply shutting down dialysis. Anyone can refuse to undergo cancer treatments or refuse other sorts of treatments that are keeping them alive.......What is the reason for allowing those for whom no such treatments that are available to relieve a life of pain and suffering...... for refusing the same relief?? We treat animals better than that!! Why do humans feel that suffering should not be relieved??

At least humans are able to request relief. It seems other dumb animals are refusing to listen to the needs of those who cannot relieve their own suffering.!!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Or for Pete's sake, the churches and the government have used the police
and courts to manipulate the legal system for years. It is time to see society
is taking more control of the agenda and saying enough. Next the pot laws
will be outright challenged and there are a host of other social conditions
that need attention and the courts will be the only remedy.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If lucky I've got another 25 years and pondered what to do if it got out of hand. Would I want my plug pulled?

I doubt many could truly answer that. Personally I dont know if I would, but I do want the option.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Still talking ice cream, right?
You have learned to speak it the english language and all it's supple dialects I see.
It was drifting over to why all the side tracks and get back to whatever it is we are being distracted from in international politics as it seems to be drawing the biggest headlines but the least amount of actual coverage.
Shall I acid test it? Ice cream lovers will hate me for this as they might get cold real fast if the item isn't already on hand. Real butter on hot-popcorn. If nobody curses me it is a fake love of ice-cream.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is only making legal what has been going on for years. Those on dialysis with no donors on the horizon because of age or other reasons have the right to refuse treatment. They die within a day or so by simply shutting down dialysis. Anyone can refuse to undergo cancer treatments or refuse other sorts of treatments that are keeping them alive.......What is the reason for allowing those for whom no such treatments that are available to relieve a life of pain and suffering...... for refusing the same relief?? We treat animals better than that!! Why do humans feel that suffering should not be relieved??

At least humans are able to request relief. It seems other dumb animals are refusing to listen to the needs of those who cannot relieve their own suffering.!!

I have absolutely no problem with people who want relief from suffering as long as it's chronic and terminal suffering and second they are fully cognizant of their situation.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I doubt many could truly answer that. Personally I don't know if I would, but I do want the option.
Of speaking the forked-tongue to others or have it spoken to you?

Yes you would if the opportunity arose, the question is if the stranger supposed to get the bigger/hidden message or the friend who is also nicknamed backup if something goes wrong. 'Broom the (blank)' is all well and fine until you drop the broom and have to go back and pick it up' . . yourself. Love of that game ends about that time.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I doubt many could truly answer that. Personally I dont know if I would, but I do want the option.

I'll probably ride it out.

A DNR is good enough for now if something goes haywire.

A lot can happen in two to three years if you can endure, It could be a loss to check out too early.

Stem cells and gene therapies are just hitting health care in a big way.

Gordie Howe for example, stroked out and near dead then back on his feet days after stem cell treatment.

Feds are funding stem cell therapy for 20 MS patients as a trial. 10 from Winnipeg, 10 from Ottawa.

I wish them luck.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'll probably ride it out.

A DNR is good enough for now if something goes haywire.

A lot can happen in two to three years if you can endure, It could be a loss to check out too early.

Stem cells and gene therapies are just hitting health care in a big way.

Gordie Howe for example, stroked out and near dead then back on his feet days after stem cell treatment.

Feds are funding stem cell therapy for 20 MS patients as a trial. 10 from Winnipeg, 10 from Ottawa.

I wish them luck.

Right on Petros- there has to be a distinction between those with a single condition and those who are clearly at end of life with multi organ shut down. Even those with advanced A.L.S. have a slight chance a miracle cure could be found tomorrow. I'll bet in 10 years people with M.S. will have a much brighter outlook.