Leftover Recipes

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Talloola

Did you ever get out for that steak? Where did you go?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Last night's supper was roast chicken, covered in bacon (just because I had some kicking around) to 'self baste' he bird. So, once supper was over, the bacon and carcass went into a pot with a couple carrots, some onion, and some garlic I'd roasted alongside the bird. I boiled it down until I had a nice stock. Today I've added potatoes, left over chicken scraps, corn, and milk, to make chowder from my leftovers. It's smelling SO GOOD. My daughter's 'cooking class' with me is tonight, and she will be making biscuits to go with the chowder. Yum yum yum.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That sounds really good Karrie. Last night we had the second meal of a very nice ham. Tomorrow I will put the ham bones and whatever meat is left in a big pot, cover the lot with water, add a chopped onion, a couple bay leaves, a finely chopped carrot, a few peppercorns, a couple cups of yellow peas, and let it simmer all day. At some point I will remove the bones and any gristle, the bay leaves, skim off any fat, and I should have a pot of very good pea soup.

I don't know what we're having tonight.........I'll think of something....;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It is all smelling HEAVENLY right now. The chowder turned out awesome and the biscuits are baking. My daughter is hovering six inches off the floor she is so excited to have baked them. I'm in for a feast when the boys return from son's drama class.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is all smelling HEAVENLY right now. The chowder turned out awesome and the biscuits are baking. My daughter is hovering six inches off the floor she is so excited to have baked them. I'm in for a feast when the boys return from son's drama class.

I'll be right over;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I like chowder too, but Early this morning I put the ham and bones and peas, etc. in a big pot and they have been simmering all day. When the pea soup is done I will put a pan or two of yeast rolls in the oven. The pea soup, the rolls, couple different kinds of cheese, and an nice salad, should make a pretty good dinner.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I like chowder too, but Early this morning I put the ham and bones and peas, etc. in a big pot and they have been simmering all day. When the pea soup is done I will put a pan or two of yeast rolls in the oven. The pea soup, the rolls, couple different kinds of cheese, and an nice salad, should make a pretty good dinner.
Pea soup made from left over ham and bone is one of my favorites...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hey guys

There are only a few nicer meals than pea soup with crusty rolls. It's sort of comfort food. The salad and cheese are trimmings.......;-):smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
speaking of leftovers.... I've started scrubbing all veggies before they go into the fridge, so, veggie tailings, peels, etc., all go into my pail in the freezer for making stock later, along with chicken bones (so long as the meat was trimmed off BEFORE it hit a plate and got gnawed on or something... lol). leftovers go into my 'scrap stock' really nicely a lot of the time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Karrie
My favorite leftovers are beef stew, lamb stew, or lamb curry. All can be put in a pastry shell and baked to make a meat pie or a sort of Cornish Pasty. Vegetarian curry works well too.....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Dunno if this has been discussed yet but ...

Whenever I fry potatoes I only use leftover bacon grease. For some reason it adds a flavor that you just don't get with cooking oils. Sometimes I use yams instead of potatoes and it tastes just as good.

Add some chopped onions and you've yourself a treat!

Yum, yum!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I have a few recipes left over. What do I do with them?

Gopher,
We have a restaurant in town that serves Yam fries. I asked them to make me some yam fry Poutine and they did. What a treat. Pure unadulterated heart clogging pleasure. (In case you never heard of this French Canadian gastronomical delight, poutine is fries with melted cheese and gravy). Leftovers can be reheated for breakfast with eggs and salsa..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did somebody mention Poutine?

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think next time I cook a roasted beef I'll save some for hash.

Grated or coursely ground potato pieces, onions, beef, carrots (one can add leftover veggies, too). A couple squirts of Worcestershire sauce in a can of beef consomme (bouillon or onion soup mix in water). Seasonings.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the gratings well and put in a baking dish. Pour the stock over the hash and bake till there's a nice light brown crust on top. Serve and eat.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
eeeewwww lol
With the cheese and gravy on it, isn't there enough flavor that one has to screw it up with ketchup?

Where are you getting the idea that there was ketchup on it.? There isn't. It is just good dark gravy. Putting ketchup on Poutine should be against the law.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
On Wednesday night I did a taco meal, a veggie platter, salsa and chips, etc., for a party I threw selling 'Epicure' spices (like a Tupperware party).

Anyway, last night as the kids played outside in the drifting snow, I threw the leftover taco meat, veggies, and salsa in a pot and cooked up a quick and delicious chili. Yum.