Keyboards dirtier than toilets!!!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Smell and appearance aside, women's washrooms have been found to harbor way more bacteria and nastiness than men's bathrooms. Keep in mind that public women's bathrooms often have diaper changing facilities, women always have to wipe (thus almost always transfer extra bacteria), and, women menstruate, which means inevitably that they're dealing with all sorts of extra disposal containers and chances for bacteria transfer than men's bathrooms.

Yeah well Men have hairy ass cracks :p

But I've also seen the changing tables in the male washrooms as well.... there are those fathers who do that, and trying to do it in a woman's washroom usually causes some problems.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I read somewhere that most keyboards can withstand being washed in a dishwasher

Errr... maybe if you take it apart and just throw in the plastic keys and the rubber padding under them, but shoving the whole thing under hot water with detergent doesn't sound like a good idea.

I have saved a few keyboards from the dumpster after getting fluids on them, but one that I remember was when my dad spilt his home brew on one of my older keyboards..... it was toasted.

If you get a little bit of water inside a keyboard it will screw up how it works, where your "P" key can start shooting out a coupld of L, M, ; and a few other keys it's not supposed to, etc. When that occurs many would just go out and buy another one, but you can take them apart and wipe off the water screwing up the signals, and if there are some dry stains from older spills still causing issues, those too can be wiped off. Usually you can get the keyboard back to normal after that..... if you can put it back together right and remember where all your keys go.

I'm no expert on them, but the water seems to refract the signals of which keys are hit and the signal goes arse backwards to the system.... shoving them in a dishwasher to me sounds like it'd fill the whole thing up with water, and then how do you dry it?

What occurs to the electronics inside the keyboard?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I read an article on it. They tested a few different kinds. The important thing was that the keyboards were unplugged when the water hit them and they were TOTALLY dry when they were plugged back in. I know it sounds like a bad idea, and I'm sure they're not designed to withstand that treatment, but I know it has been done with success.

here's the link

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I read an article on it. They tested a few different kinds. The important thing was that the keyboards were unplugged when the water hit them and they were TOTALLY dry when they were plugged back in. I know it sounds like a bad idea, and I'm sure they're not designed to withstand that treatment, but I know it has been done with success.

here's the link

well, I guess if hubby's cell phone could survive a trip into the kitchen sink, then a keyboard could probably survive a dishwasher on gentle. But, I'm not about to try it for everyday detritus. If it's a choice between buying a new keyboard or trying to wash the old one, then perhaps I'd do it, as a last ditch effort.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

here's the link

I can guarantee you to that it works, I have done it.

I also rescued my cell phone after it went through a full cycle in the washing machine.

-I took the aparts the chasis as soon as I found it,
-Seperated the lcd panels from the chip
-Used compressed air to thoroughly blow any moisture out of ridges on the cirquit board
- Left the various pieces drying over night
-Put it back to together the next day and it is still working today

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

I also rescued my cell phone after it went through a full cycle in the washing machine.

-Used compressed air to thoroughly blow any moisture out of ridges on the cirquit board

You and your compressed air.... The 90's we had Red Green and his Duct Tape.... now with the turn of the century, we have Durka and his compressed air :p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

with no compressed air on hand I just propped the phone up in line with my blowdrier, set the blowdrier to 'cold', and left it for three hours.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
with no compressed air on hand I just propped the phone up in line with my blowdrier, set the blowdrier to 'cold', and left it for three hours.

that could work too except you are blowing all sorts of dust and whatnot into it. If you don't use compressed air, you are a loser.:cool:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Well that's accurate considdering Office Toilets usually have cleaners/janitors coming in every night or every second night cleaning them.... a better comparison would have been a toilet at home..... oh but then Keyboards wouldn't be all that dirty.

Geez, paranoid much? Better chuck out your telephones, cell phones, car steering wheel and anything else your fingers/hands touch on an everyday basis.

This is why they tell people to wash their hands once in a while.

Now that's impressive, considdering how smelly and dirty male washrooms are on average. Goto a male washroom and it smells like an outhouse at a beach during low tide..... go into a female's washroom and it's got flowers all over the place, fancy wallpaper which hasn't begun to peel from the stink, nice colorful soaps and just seems like a cleaner environment all together.......

Does this mean female washrooms are so clean because they take their dirt with them to their keyboards? :p

How is it that you have the inside scoop on womens washooms?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
How is it that you have the inside scoop on womens washooms?

Because I go in them on a regular basis..... no, I don't clean them, I'm not gay either and I'm not a woman... I just stroll on in with my charm and maturity and just talk up a conversation with the ladies as they pee, as there's nothing else to do.

Doesn't everybody do this?