Kerry apologizes to troops for 'botched joke'

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
U.S. Senator John Kerry issued a direct apology to U.S. troops Wednesday for making a "poorly stated joke" that students risked getting stuck in Iraq if they didn't study hard and get a good education.

More...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Bush Called Democrats "Terrorists"

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Dean_demands_apology_from_Bush_for_1101.html#comments

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dean demands apology from Bush for comments, attacks war record[/FONT]
RAW STORY
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Published: Wednesday November 1, 2006[/FONT][/FONT]
Print This Email ThisIn this CNN video report, Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean responds to controversy surrounding comments by Senator John Kerry (D-MA) by suggesting that President George W. Bush apologize for his "own intemperate language."
Kerry apologized earlier today for a "botched joke" that has been interpreted by some to have been an insult to the education of American troops.
"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq," Kerry said.
At a GOP rally in Georgia, President Bush called Kerry's comments "insulting and shameful," and said that the Senator owed the troops an apology.
"I think it also focuses on the President's own intemperate language," Dean told reporters this morning. "Saying that voting for Democrats is voting for the terrorists to win, I think is intemperate, especially coming from a guy who is criticising someone who did serve, and President Bush has never served."
President Bush did serve in the Texas Air National Guard from 1968-1972, when he was transferred to Alabama to work on a Senate campaign. In 1974, he was allowed to leave to attend Harvard Business School. Though he served during the Vietnam war, he never left the continental United States, and many critics have charged that he was given the much-coveted Air National Guard post to avoid service in the war because of his father's position as Congressman.
Kerry is a Vietnam veteran whose military honors include the silver star, the bronze star, and three purple hearts.

Note how the news media did not challenge Bush for his insulting words and how he did not apologize.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I hate it when anyone demands an apology. It's bs. How is Kerry apologizing going to make anything better. It's the same with Peter MacKay apologizing for his dog slur. He still did it. It's not going to make him a better leader.
Kerry still wont become president. He doesn't have the balls to tear into the republicans. I hope the Democrats elect a new leader.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Cough choke, now you know what the rest of us have been battling. Gopher like his name sake is hard to remove and will kill the land he invades. In Manitoba we used water hoses to rid the land of this pest, I'd rather use TNT.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Vice President Dick Cheney will enter the fray Wednesday night during a speech in Montana. The White House released the portion of Cheney's speech pertaining to Kerry.

"John Kerry needs to learn that the men and women serving in Iraq aren't there because they didn't study hard or do their homework," Cheney is set to say. "They're smart, patriotic, exceptionally well-trained and dedicated to their mission. They are heroes, and they are the pride of the United States of America."

See, he understands the average voter is about as smart as shampoo. Cheney can spin it deceitfully knowing some will take his schtick hook line and sinker.