Kate Middleton hospital nurse who answered Aussie crank call found dead

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
They usually ask if you have privacy concerns. Every time ive gone into hospital, i was asked if they could tell people im there and give progress updates

More and more I think I need to write a will. I need a card in my wallet saying who to call if I am found on the side of the road. I don't want my family waiting days to find out. In Berlin, a person that worked at the same institute as me fell out of a building at a party and died. It took his family something like a week to find out what happened. Poor people.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
More and more I think I need to write a will. I need a card in my wallet saying who to call if I am found on the side of the road. I don't want my family waiting days to find out. In Berlin, a person that worked at the same institute as me fell out of a building at a party and died. It took his family something like a week to find out what happened. Poor people.

Oh no kidding. That would be horrible.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

You think the person that finds your dead body and steals your wallet will honour what you wrote on the card?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
You think the person that finds your dead body and steals your wallet will honour what you wrote on the card?

A person who finds my body and decides to steal my wallet will certainly not honour what he finds. Luckily, most people in the society I chose to live in are honest enough to be more concerned about notifying my family than making off with ~100 euro. If you find yourself in a society where people would sooner loot your corpse than do right by you, you might consider moving to a more civilised part of the world. You might consider most other parts of Canada, where the majority of people are so honest.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
A person who finds my body and decides to steal my wallet will certainly not honour what he finds. Luckily, most people in the society I chose to live in are honest enough to be more concerned about notifying my family than making off with ~100 euro. If you find yourself in a society where people would sooner loot your corpse than do right by you, you might consider moving to a more civilised part of the world. You might consider most other parts of Canada, where the majority of people are so honest.

I have heard stories from all over and have no faith in the population in general.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
To be an expectant mom, and have your pegnancy already taintedby this media bull****

As a future Queen Consort who knew she will one day give birth to a future King or Queen, surely she knew before she married the future King that the birth of her first child would result in huge worldwide media attention. It would hardly have come as a surprise to her. It would have been what she fully expected.

That was short and sweet........................for you;-)

:lol:

Sometimes the shortest answers give the greatest impact.

But here's something longer.

Here's an update to this story:

Pictured: Nurse Jacintha Saldanha, 46, died yesterday in an apparent suicide after she transferred a hoax call from Australian DJs who retrieved sensitive information about Kate Middleton while in hospital

The boss of the radio company at the centre of the royal hoax call today refused to sack the DJs behind the stunt and painted them as victims.

2DayFM presenters Mel Greig and Michael Christian were taken off air after it emerged the nurse who took their prank call at Kate Middleton's hospital had died in a suspected suicide.

Jacintha Saldanha, a 46-year-old mother of two, had been manning the hospital switchboard when the Australian hoaxers called and she transferred the call to the Duchess of Cambridge's ward.

Rhys Holleran, the chief executive of Southern Cross Austereo, which owns the station, said the presenters were 'completely shattered' and had been offered counselling.

Mr Holleran told a press conference in Melbourne that the primary concern was for the family of Jacintha Saldanha, whose body was found yards from the King Edward VII Hospital yesterday.

He said: 'I spoke to both presenters early this morning and it's fair to say they are completely shattered.

'These people aren't machines, they're human beings. What happened is incredibly tragic and we’re deeply saddened and we’re incredibly affected by that.’

Abuse: Australian radio presenters Christian Michael and Mel Greig, whose prank call about the Duchess of Cambridge was transferred by nurse Jacintha Saldanha, have been bombarded with abuse on Twitter following news of her suspected suicide. They later removed their accounts

He added: 'I think prank calls as a craft in radio have been going for decades and decades and are not just part of one radio station or network or country.

'No-one could have reasonably foreseen what ended up being an incredibly tragic day.'

Mr Holleran declined to reveal who had dreamed up the prank call but said: ‘These things are often done collaboratively.'

The grieving family of the 'excellent' nurse said: 'We as a family are deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Jacintha.'

The shockwaves over the death of the nurse have spread rapidly around Australia.

Australia's media regulator was inundated with complaints about the prank.

'Terrible tragedy': Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has offered her condolences to Jacintha's family

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), which regulates radio broadcasting, has said it is currently in the process of discussing the matter with the Sydney-based station.

A spokesman for the ACMA said it had received 'a lot' of complaints but declined to give a figure.

Sombre: Police guard the front of King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone yesterday where Jacintha Saldanha had worked as a nurse for four years

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
That's bizarre calling the DJs 'victims' and offering them counselling. For crying out loud, it was an unconscienable act of invasion of privacy in the most delicate of circumstances with a sick pregnant mother, and a staff of professional caregivers whose primary interest was the welfare of their patient, not the cheap jollies of some idiot DJs and their retarded audience.. Fire the DJs and fire that a$$hole Rhys Holleran the CEO who has cleary set the moral standards for the station.

My guess is that within a few weeks the DJs will be gone.. and Rhys might be as well. I'd suggest that the station's licence will be under review by Australian Broadcast Regulatory Commission without decisive action by the station's owners. I think that boycotts will ensue by advertisers.. this is not going to just fade into obscurity.

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The international media is to blame just for making it a top story of the lack of security at the hospital. We have to remember that the media killed British Princess Diana because of their willingness to get information by any means. The British media went as far as putting wiretaps on public official’s phones.

Because of the public pressure put on this nurse who just wanted to help just could not deal with the public humiliation and killed herself but the media will never admit it and that’s too bad because that is the real news story.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
millions of women all round the world suffer from acute morning sickenss, kate isnt the 1st!!! and the nurse that committed suicide(so we're told) had to have mental health issues, afterall, she didnt do anything other than to hand the phone to someone else.........

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We have to remember that the media killed British Princess Diana because of their willingness to get information by any means.

A drink driver was to blame for killing Princess Diana.

Because of the public pressure put on this nurse who just wanted to help just could not deal with the public humiliation and killed herself but the media will never admit it and that’s too bad because that is the real news story.

You have no idea why she committed suicide if, indeed, she did actually kill commit suicide.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sounds like these two DJ's are missing their show at this point. It's been cancelled.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to blame them. If in fact that nurse did commit suicide, it may have been just because she was a very unstable person or she had a lot of other problems stacked up.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think it's absolutely ridiculous to blame them. If in fact that nurse did commit suicide, it may have been just because she was a very unstable person or she had a lot of other problems stacked up.

No its not ridiculous to blame them. She may have been unstable but they broke numerous rules of etiquette, if not some laws in violating the privacy of Kate Middleton-Windsor. Their behaviour was nothing short of reprehensible, no matter who the victim of their privacy invasion was. If it was my pregnant wife, I'd have sued the radio station over it, but for the Royals, that's not as much of an option because the entire media would be all over them in the constant PR war they live in.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No its not ridiculous to blame them. She may have been unstable but they broke numerous rules of etiquette, if not some laws in violating the privacy of Kate Middleton-Windsor. Their behaviour was nothing short of reprehensible, no matter who the victim of their privacy invasion was. If it was my pregnant wife, I'd have sued the radio station over it, but for the Royals, that's not as much of an option because the entire media would be all over them in the constant PR war they live in.

We're talking oranges and apples here, I'm talking blame for the death, you're talking breach of protocol! There is NO way they are to blame for the death.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't think they're to blame for the death, nor do they deserve to lose their jobs.

They're morning show shock jocks, their job is to be cutting edge funny.

That's what they did.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
We're talking oranges and apples here, I'm talking blame for the death, you're talking breach of protocol! There is NO way they are to blame for the death.

You're missing the point: they created the sh*tstorm, therefore it is absolutely on them.