Junior says "F**K"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I had a school teacher who once told me people don't learn to swear but they should
learn how to. If there is another descriptive use it if no other word other than a swear
word describes it then swear. That way you are always in command of your own
words.

oh, they SHOULD learn how. It can be an effective communication tool.

So are you saying that all the stuff we were taught growing up is invalid? Is there any point in teaching our kids and grandkids anything? I swear as much as any body but I still think there's a time and place for it!-:)

I think a boxing match is probably the most aprpo place for such language. Pugalism is not pinkies in the air, and watch your P's and Q's.

That's horse $hit.
Stephen Fry on the Joys of Swearing - YouTube

Some good points there.

I love Stephen Fry. He has a way with words.

I think the point here is that Harper may be screwing the veterans, but he does so without profanity. At least, I think that's th e point.

Being this is political, it's might not be THE point, but it is A point.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
slowly throughout the years i have become more tolerant of those who swear while in conversation
with me or close by me.

it is a normal evolution, as i grew up in a household where no one ever swore, even when drinking,
as my dad did a lot, and still remembered 'not' to swear, because he just didn't, so he didn't
think about it.

i have heard it all over the years, many of our teen age, and younger ball players, and hockey players,
(GIRLS) would blurt out the f bomb, but would soon be spoken to at the bench, as it was considered
tough and rude, no reason to say it, we replaced the f word with a different chosen word, for the ones who just
couldn't keep their mouths shut, so they would holler 'something else', whatever they wanted, so
they would say the 'chosen' word and point it right at me, or the umpire, or another
player, then we would all smile and appreciate the effort.
it was an attempt to help them control their mouths, young people have to learn who is around them,
where they are, and how to control themselves in the company of others, who aren't their friends
who want to throw the obcenities around back and forth.,

none of my daughters or grandchildren swear around me, or their parents, with exception of a couple of
the younger ones, who do learn as they grow up, just where and who to swear around. it is just
politness and respect, and if anyone doesn't know how to learn to respect someone in their family,
or other adults they know would feel uncomfortable, then they don't have much dicipline.

if i was in the company of someone who couldn't speak a sentence without swearing the f bombs or other
disrespectfull words, i would have to quietly leave, and i'm sure they would be glAd to see me
go, but i have a level of quality i insist on when talking with others, so be it. i'm not going
to tell them anything about how they should speak, that is up to them if they want my company
or not.

it is not a matter of being 'hurt' by hearing the swear words, it is a matter of the person doing the
swearing to 'think' before they 'speak'.

its not a matter of people in my family making sure they stop swearing in my company, because they
don't swear much at all, no more than i do, and i do, but i'm careful who is around me, so that i
set a good example to others. a swear word doesn't come out of my mouth by accident, it is well
thought out, and makes a point, many times to the 'dog'. lol

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I say fricken alot. In place of the f word. I also say Shyte instead of the sh word, but at the end of the day, the intent behind the words and the feeling of those words is the same as if I used the 'f' word and the 'sh' word.

I notice I swear more in the company of others who swear and I choose non swear words when I am with those who don't swear or around young children. I guess the type of conversation being had goes with certain vocabulary choices.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's called decorum ... or is it discipline? I still mind my mouth around Mom....

News didn't plays all Trudeau's speech - but I'm guessing folk around a wrestling ring aren't shocked by colourful vernacular

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
can I help you?

Ya, get me a can of corn!

or should it be

Could you get me a can of corn please?

In answer to your question, no, I never did because I never swore in front of my Mother. That doesn't mean I didn't swear else where because I sure as hell did. As a matter of fact, I had a "Christian" friend that objected to the profanities I used. He did this in a moving car with no way to leave at the time. I laced into him using profanity every second word. The gist was that if he didn't like the way I spoke or the words I used he didn't have to hang with me. It took about 5 mins to get that one sentence out. He never complained about my language use again, and neither did any of my friends. It was who I was/am.

Now we are getting somewhere. You didn't swear in front of your Mother out of respect, which was my point in the first place! If I sense someone doesn't like foul language I don't use it.

I say fricken alot. In place of the f word. I also say Shyte instead of the sh word, but at the end of the day, the intent behind the words and the feeling of those words is the same as if I used the 'f' word and the 'sh' word.

I notice I swear more in the company of others who swear and I choose non swear words when I am with those who don't swear or around young children. I guess the type of conversation being had goes with certain vocabulary choices.

Sounds like you're fairly normal. -:)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
WTF happened to free speech? Nobody is responsible for how other people feel. Some people go out of their way to be offended, If they can't handle the heat....

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Odd that this is seen as 'ordinary', ok, no big deal and yet the star, it's kin and our wee little corner of the web, well, we can't even type the word fuck. It's bad. People will talk. It's a 'family paper', or radio or tv station or website (whatever the hell that is suppose to mean any more), someone might be offended, or the dreaded, what will 'they' say (whoever 'they' are).

How bizarre.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Odd that this is seen as 'ordinary', ok, no big deal and yet the star, it's kin and our wee little corner of the web, well, we can't even type the word fuck. It's bad. People will talk. It's a 'family paper', or radio or tv station or website (whatever the hell that is suppose to mean any more), someone might be offended, or the dreaded, what will 'they' say (whoever 'they' are).

How bizarre.

It's not really that bizarre, squeaky wheels get the grease is all. It's not that the majority of people don't grasp the context of a situation and can't see beyond the "f-bomb" or whatever the offense du jour is, they can. It's just that those few squeaky wheels make such an incredibly irritating noise that when they begin that high pitched shrieking, the rest of us will do just about anything to shut them up.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's not really that bizarre, squeaky wheels get the grease is all. It's not that the majority of people don't grasp the context of a situation and can't see beyond the "f-bomb" or whatever the offense du jour is, they can. It's just that those few squeaky wheels make such an incredibly irritating noise that when they begin that high pitched shrieking, the rest of us will do just about anything to shut them up.

I don't use as much purple as maybe I need to.

Anywho, with award show speeches, movies, tv shows, late nite hacks, books of all sorts...all embraced by freedom-loving folk everywhere, free speech gurus and cheerleaders...it's quite hypocritical that some of those sources and mouth pieces bend to 'fear of the advertiser' or 'what people might say (squeak)'. I say (fuk) all or (say) nothing. Who's with me? These draconiansts have gotta go! *grabs pitchfork and torch*

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Anywho, with award show speeches, movies, tv shows, late nite hacks, books of all sorts...all embraced by freedom-loving folk everywhere, free speech gurus and cheerleaders...it's quite hypocritical that some of those sources and mouth pieces bend to 'fear of the advertiser
MONEY/profit comes before free speech, your rights, my rights or our lives...