JESUS in the QURAN

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Saying a thing doesn't mean it is so. As I do not think I am generalizing, you will need to prove they are general within the given context, that is, if you want me to agree.

I've experienced war and it was bad, all war is the same and therefore all war is bad.

I have experienced religion and it was bad, all religion is the same and therefore all religion is bad.

The bold parts are generalizations. All black people are the same. All conservatives are the same. All women are the same.....

Great, but you'll have to excuse my scepticism of that claim.

Skepticism is good.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I've experienced war and it was bad, all war is the same and therefore all war is bad.

I have experienced religion and it was bad, all religion is the same and therefore all religion is bad.

The bold parts are generalizations. All black people are the same. All conservatives are the same. All women are the same.....

All illness is the same in that it makes me sick, if it can't make me sick then it isn't an illness.

All religion is the same in that it supposes a higher authority, if it doesn't claim a higher authority then it isn't a religion.

All war is the same in that it means people will die, if people are not dying then it isn't really a war.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

That is what I have said all along - reality/truth/life is subjective, that it is basically a computer construct based on a belief system - a Matrix. This is a dream, as the Buddhists say, but what a dream! We are nothing more than conscious energy communicating with what appears to be mechanical devices called computers when in reality, if we changed our belief system, we would not need these contraptions to communicate.

Life as we know it, only seems three dimensional, materialistic and solid. But like the man said, if you could squeeze the universe until all that was left was the actual matter, you would have a lump the size of a pea. 99 point 9(to the power of several trillion) percent of what we call reality is empty space. So what else can this thing we call reality be but a hologram based on the programming of our minds.

As a form of consciousness, humanity embarked on an experiment millions of years ago (in our illusion of time) to play with third dimensional reality but we forgot it was just a game we were playing and became stuck in this reality we created. We are now coming close to realizing it is just a game and will soon move on to a different experiment, one hopefully a little more sensible.:roll:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
As a form of consciousness, humanity embarked on an experiment millions of years ago (in our illusion of time) to play with third dimensional reality but we forgot it was just a game we were playing and became stuck in this reality we created. We are now coming close to realizing it is just a game and will soon move on to a different experiment, one hopefully a little more sensible.:roll:
Now you don't really expect the 'twilight zone' to end as you expect, do you?
It's like a whisper way back when that said 'death is temporary' and then very little said after that so that those words more or lees are forgotten, until.....

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
...and what "flavour" of Christian are you today...

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Christian as "one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus; one who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.
A wide range of beliefs and practices is found across the world among those who call themselves Christian. A 2007 survey in the United States identified the following typical categories:
  1. Active Christians: Committed to attending church, Bible reading, and sharing their faith that salvation comes through Jesus Christ.
  2. Professing Christians: Also committed to "accepting Christ as Savior and Lord" as the key to being a Christian, but focus on personal relationships with God and Jesus more than on church, Bible reading or sharing faith.
  3. Liturgical Christians: High level of spiritual activity, mainly expressed by attending and recognising the authority of the church, and by serving in it or in the community.
  4. Private Christians: Believe in God and in doing good things, but not within a church context. In the American survey, this was the largest and youngest segment.
  5. Cultural Christians: Do not view Jesus as essential to salvation. They are the least likely to align their beliefs or practices with biblical teachings, or attend church. They favor a universal theology that sees many ways to God.
  6. Rice Christian: Someone who converts to christianity for survival.
People who have a distinct heritage and come to believe in Jesus may also identify themselves differently. Messianic Jews believe that they are a sect of Judaism and that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah and the Divine Savior. They seek to live in obedience to the Hebrew Scriptures, including the Torah and Halakha.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Jesus is in the Quaran.

He's also been in Sports Illustrated and the Olympics

Jesús Mena Campos (born 28 May 1968 in Gómez Palacio, Durango) is a retired Mexican diver.

Jesús Guevara (born December 15, 1969) is a retired heavyweight boxer from Venezuela, who represented his native country at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia. There he was eliminated in the first round of the men's super-heavyweight division (+ 91 kg) by Josué Blocus from France.

Jesús Herrera (born March 22, 1962) is a retired long-distance runner from Mexico. He represented his native country at two consecutive Summer Olympics, starting in 1984. His best Olympic result was finishing in 11th place in the men's marathon, clocking 2:13:58, at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I tried to discuss it on another thread and was called a Bible-thumper, Cannucklehead, illogical and generally ridiculed. I assume that if somebody wants to respectfully discuss it they will ask me about it and I would be more than happy to oblige.

I take issue with the word "most". As I've said on another thread, there are over 35,000 different Christian denominations alone and there is no evidence to suggest most want to start wars. If anything, I believe greed is the cause of wars and religion, where it is used, is a tool to motivate the masses. The USSR was no more or less inclined to war (than the US) just because they were "godless commies".

I agree that most religions do not as policy want to start wars, but the 35,000 different Christian sects seems to indicate a schismatic difussion vaugely reminisent
of the fabled story of the Tower of Babble. Could this in fact be the revealed word of the christian god? It may also be that most have been engaged in wars prior to the obvious disentigration of continuity and have arrived at similar passivist policy in lieu of the recorded horrific loss of life implicating religious conviction as prime motivation for such murderous events. I may also suggest that these divisions of sectarian nature would tend after a time to naturally evolve into conflict again as resolutions to long standing doctrinal aberations were forgotten or put aside in favour of other deals. Of course most of that may not apply in the case of true extant christians of which probability suggests there should be some. I know nothing at all about Jesus or the Koran.