JESUS in the QURAN

TerryFox

Sep 6, 2005
I'm curious about the Islamic relegion , My understanding say that prophets can not lie , is this true ?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I'm curious about the Islamic relegion , My understanding say that prophets can not lie , is this true ?

I think most of the preaching is done standing up..... But I think that they can lie... at night.... maybe after 9-10, but must get up before dawn. Not with Dawn.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I don't think you understand. I think religion is evil.

It seeks to put a single opinion above everyone else's and that is tyranny and tyranny is evil.

You don't understand all religions then. My religion does not put my opinion over yours or any others.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Why would you want my religion to die out? Am I not entitled to my beliefs/opinions.

Religion is a very dangerous malady and the proper medicine is education. You are very much entitled to your beliefs/opinions, and I would never say otherwise, nor would I try and dissuade you from them with anything more terrible than reason.

OK, maybe I'll throw in the odd quip. ;-)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Religion is a very dangerous malady...

We have come full circle then. There is nothing dangerous about my religion. You do not understand it and you are not only making a generalization but you are putting your own belief system/opinion above everyone else's and that is tyranny and tyranny is evil. (your words not mine)

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
We have come full circle then. There is nothing dangerous about my religion. You do not understand it and you are not only making a generalization but you are putting your own belief system/opinion above everyone else's and that is tyranny and tyranny is evil. (your words not mine)

Except I am not forcing anything on you. Tyranny requires force. I am simply stating what I think as are you.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Except I am not forcing anything on you. Tyranny requires force. I am simply stating what I think as are you.

...and I'm not forcing anything on you yet by extension, you have called me tyrannical. You have said I am sick - "Religion is a very dangerous malady" and that I need to be educated - "the proper medicine is education". All this without actually knowing what my religion is all about.

What would you call somebody that holds to a belief system without any basis in fact...I would say you are much like the people you criticize.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
...and I'm not forcing anything on you yet by extension, you have called me tyrannical. You have said I am sick - "Religion is a very dangerous malady" and that I need to be educated - "the proper medicine is education". All this without actually knowing what my religion is all about.

What would you call somebody that holds to a belief system without any basis in fact...I would say you are much like the people you criticize.

I have a lot of fact to back my claims including personal experience and all of human history.

I am not similar in the least: if you make a good argument I will change my mind.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What personal experience do you have with me? What is the history of my religion?

As will I so we are in fact the same.

You keep going on about "my religion". Did you start a new one or is it a personal belief system or do you subscribe to a particular brand of christianity. How is anybody supposed to know what your religion is if you don't say anything about it.

Most religions, particularly those with large followings, are dangerous as many don't have any qualms about starting wars over the belief in their divine mandate. So, generally speaking, they are dangerous, except for a few who are pacifists like the Baha'is and JWs (they are just annoying).

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You keep going on about "my religion". Did you start a new one or is it a personal belief system or do you subscribe to a particular brand of christianity. How is anybody supposed to know what your religion is if you don't say anything about it.

I tried to discuss it on another thread and was called a Bible-thumper, Cannucklehead, illogical and generally ridiculed. I assume that if somebody wants to respectfully discuss it they will ask me about it and I would be more than happy to oblige.

Most religions, particularly those with large followings, are dangerous as many don't have any qualms about starting wars over the belief in their divine mandate.

I take issue with the word "most". As I've said on another thread, there are over 35,000 different Christian denominations alone and there is no evidence to suggest most want to start wars. If anything, I believe greed is the cause of wars and religion, where it is used, is a tool to motivate the masses. The USSR was no more or less inclined to war (than the US) just because they were "godless commies".

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
What personal experience do you have with me? What is the history of my religion?

Do I need an experience of every war to know I don't like war? Do I need to have every disease to know that I don't like being ill?

As will I so we are in fact the same.

I have reason to think as I do. I eschew faith since it is unreasoning and superstition.

Can you say the same, or does your "faith" protect you?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Do I need an experience of every war to know I don't like war? Do I need to have every disease to know that I don't like being ill?

That is an oversimplification and besides, you are generalizing again.

I have reason to think as I do. I eschew faith since it is unreasoning and superstition.

Can you say the same, or does your "faith" protect you?

I can say that I have reason to think the way I do and can discuss it logically and reasonably without involving superstition. I can also say that my faith doesn't protect me as I don't feel I need protection.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
That is an oversimplification and besides, you are generalizing again.

Saying a thing doesn't mean it is so. As I do not think I am generalizing, you will need to prove they are general within the given context, that is, if you want me to agree.

I can say that I have reason to think the way I do and can discuss it logically and reasonably without involving superstition. I can also say that my faith doesn't protect me as I don't feel I need protection.

Great, but you'll have to excuse my scepticism of that claim.