Is Vegetarianism/Veganism The New Religion in N.A.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The religious types want to call science and vegetarianism religion to keep their biz going. Yet science denies a god, and vegetarianism doesn't even talk about a higher power. A sign religion is on the wane, good news!

Not entirely accurate. Science has never proven the non-existence of God. In fact, many scientists of various religious backgrounds believe in God.

Science might have disproven certain literalist interpretations of sacred texts, but not the existence of god himself.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

From your site

Aaron, Hank
- I called his office in Atlanta back in the mid-90s (it was October 1993, I'm pretty sure) and his personal secretary told me that while she had heard rumors that he was a vegetarian, should could assure me that he wasn't one. - Jack, USA

Bennett, Michael - I just read that Michael Bennet had been a strict veggie but thought his diet had interfered with his strength (after losing a fight) so he now eats eggs and some fish. - Karen, Los Angeles

Bird, Larry - Given that Mr. Bird has recently appeared in a commercial advertising frozen dinners in which he ate turkey. I think he was endorsing Boston Market, a subsidiary of McDonalds. - Lori, MS

Three of the first four were not vegetarians. Good post.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Avoiding red meat lowers the risk for heart disease. This is a consistent finding. I myself eat red meat about once or twice a week. Red meat is lacking in fiber, and the high fat content increases hormone production in your body. This is where your risk of cancers begins. The risk only increases as you cook the meat and produce polyaromatic hydrocarbons that come along with the charred meat.

I wouldn't call it wrong. It's just not right for me.

Some people it's not right for at all, this may involve ethical decisions.

Equating these decisions generally with religion is laughable.
Betcha the people that did all those studies never used good old moose, wild pig, or whatever. Betcha they were using fat, grain-fed beef. :D

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yes, don't be denying science now. That makes you appear like the religious one.:roll:

For starters, read this study Mortality in vegetarians and nonvegetarians: detailed findings froma collaborative analysis of 5 prospective studies.

The particular finding of interest here is:
Further categorization of diets showed that, in comparison with regular meat eaters, mortality from ischemic heart disease was 20% lower in occasional meat eaters, 34% lower in people who ate fish but not meat, 34% lower in lactoovovegetarians, and 26% lower in vegans.

So, as you can see, even eliminating meat completely is still better for decreasing the risk of heart disease than occasionally eating meat.

I am informed, and I'm trying to inform you. What's your excuse? Is it your religious dogma that blinds you?:lol:
WOW!! There are vegetarians lacking volvos? That's quite the mouthful of word (scuse the pun).

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yes.. it does. Are you touched in the head?

You've maintained since the beginning of this thread that there is no scientific argument for being a vegetarian, and it therefore is some how equivalent to religion.

I've now shown you, with an actual scientific study, that scientific arguments exist.

You deny it, with unfounded assertions. Do you even know what a scientific argument is? Do you have any training in this field, or is it a word you use to lend some authority to your twisted view of reality?

You're the close minded religious one here. Most people will admit mistakes, or at least say "I could be wrong".

Not you.

Carry on Friar Cannuck.
Friar Cannuck!! *guffaws* Thanks, Buddy. I have tea all over my keyboard via my shnozz because of that appelation.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I haven't read all the posts above, but i can't believe this thing is still going on.
Cannuck. What is it that bothers you so much about people eating vegetarian for this or that reason? I eat vegan on compassionate grounds. Is there something fundamentally wrong with choosing to eat based on compassion?
I can't think of any reason why not. I just think it's really funny to not eat meat because a person is compassionate towards mobile creatures and not compassionate towards immobile creatures. lol That's the funny part.
I think it is not so much what we eat, but our attitudes towards what we eat. People these days have no idea about the food they eat. They know some ingredients but have not a clue of the time it took the item to grow, the amount of effort and energy it took to grow it, etc. They stuff it in their faces and decide whether it's good or not and that's about the extent of the thought behind their food. That's the sad part. I respect the carrot that I pop out of our gardens just as much as the fish I scoop from the lake or the 4-legged critter I give a third eye to.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Not entirely accurate. Science has never proven the non-existence of God. In fact, many scientists of various religious backgrounds believe in God.

Science might have disproven certain literalist interpretations of sacred texts, but not the existence of god himself.
Probably because it is impossible at the moment and that attempting to do so would be futile anyway as deists would simply decry and naysay the results of the findings.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Betcha the people that did all those studies never used good old moose, wild pig, or whatever. Betcha they were using fat, grain-fed beef. :D

Actually, I'd say that eating game might be more humane than other meats too. They'd lived a decent life before dying, unlike those in factory farms.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
CTV.ca | What is the best diet for human beings?

"People have lived and thrived on high-protein, high-fat diets (the Inuit of Greenland); on low-protein, high-carb diets (the indigenous peoples of southern Africa); on diets high in raw milk and cream (the people of the Loetschental Valley in Switzerland); diets high in saturated fat (the Trobriand Islanders) and even on diets in which animal blood is considered a staple (the Massai of Kenya and Tanzania). And folks have thrived on these diets without the ravages of degenerative diseases that are so epidemic in modern life--heart disease, diabetes, obesity, neurodegenerative diseases, osteoporosis and cancer."