Is this police brutallity?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Is this police brutal

Mrmom. Is that City police or RCMP in your family?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Is this police brutal

Twila said:
I got the impression that she was worried about her safety from the conversation she was having with "mark" on the cell phone.

She mentioned that the officer was "going to shoot" her.

I think the first one may have been warranted but the second definatley was not.

Worried about her safety? Perhaps she knew she was driving with a suspended license and knew that she was going to be arrested. The officer pulled out a Tazer... not his 9MM Pistol. He said to her...

"I am going to taze you"

If she was driving with a suspended license it is obvious that she has had multiple driving offences that warranted her a danger on the road. Couple that with the fact that she was driving 51 in a 30MPH zone. That is reckless driving and someone could have been hurt badly, even killed.

She was starting a fight from the outset and did not cooperate at all. Is that the way you would carry on if you were pulled over? I doubt it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

She was starting a fight from the outset and did not cooperate at all. Is that the way you would carry on if you were pulled over? I doubt it.

Damn. I guess I can't pull the rebel card on you then.

Being female I can believe she was fearfull for her safety. If she was as much of a danger as you say then her fear may be even more justified if she'd been a victim of police brutality before. I don't know. I usually take things from how I'd respond and your right I'd never have responded that way. Only because I know there ain't no point in arguing with the officer.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Thats RCMP Twila .My brother inlaw is in Regina right now and will be graduating in Aug .I don't know what to think of this :? I'm not a big fan of the police if you know what I mean :wink:

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
mrmom2 said:
Under your logic next time I get pulled over for speeding I should expect to get tazered :roll: Where are we living communist Russia? :p

Sure, if you don't comply with the officer and do not provide your license and registration when asked, expect some action to happen. If you are a normal person, who makes up some lame excuse and generally complies with the officer promptly and shows some level of respect, well then I doubt you will be zapped.

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
Re: RE: Is this police brutallity?

callum01 said:
save money on sirens. Strap her to the roof.

mmmwwwwaaaaa...mmmwwwaaaaaa

a bad idea you say?

think of all the jobs created. Imagine being in the thrill of the chase, and doing your bit to protect the community.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Callum, you are WAY TOO FUNNY!

.I don't know what to think of this Confused I'm not a big fan of the police if you know what I mean

RCMP are very very different then city cops. You should be proud that he is willing to risk his life to protect people he doesn't know. My nephew is currently working towards being RCMP. He's just recently taken his military test...I'm extremely proud of him.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Did I say you were joking? No I said your way too funny.

Take it how you like

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
only jokin'. i'm new here and don't want to come across oh how should i say this a bas*ard.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

No problem Callum. It's sometimes hard to tell when people are being sarcastic.....

I'm almost always joking...if my posts seem odd that's why. It's hard to be serious about life. Especially when you get a reall good look at a platypus.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Tasers are to be used whenever the officer feels he would be put in danger by approaching the suspect. They were in no danger (other than the inherant danger that all police are in all of the time) and should have just pulled her out and handcuffed her. Yes, she is an annoying bitch that was breaking the law, but police are trained to deal with people like that. While I believe the taser is safe, it has definately not been proven safe, and should only be used as a last resort. To the people that think she deserved to be tased, I agree, she did deserve it, but that doesn't mean the officer had the right to. There were other options the police failed to exercise. To the people that believe it was justified because she could have had a gun or grabbed for one etc if the officer would have tried to pull her out: using that argument you can justify tasing anybody at any time, unacceptable.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
AirIntake said:
Tasers are to be used whenever the officer feels he would be put in danger by approaching the suspect. They were in no danger (other than the inherant danger that all police are in all of the time) and should have just pulled her out and handcuffed her. Yes, she is an annoying bitch that was breaking the law, but police are trained to deal with people like that. While I believe the taser is safe, it has definately not been proven safe, and should only be used as a last resort. To the people that think she deserved to be tased, I agree, she did deserve it, but that doesn't mean the officer had the right to. There were other options the police failed to exercise. To the people that believe it was justified because she could have had a gun or grabbed for one etc if the officer would have tried to pull her out: using that argument you can justify tasing anybody at any time, unacceptable.

I suppose they could have dragged her out of the car and put her to the ground. The other officer went to her passenger side and I am sure it was to unbuckle her belt so they could do just that. But as the cop said, she took a swing at the cop he went into the passenger side.

She was not in any danger. That is just a cop out... no pun intended. She was breaking the law. It was obvious by her suspended license that she was at least a reckless driver on numerous occasions.

When you are pulled over... you do want you are told and don't give the cop any lip because it will just make matters worse for you.

The best thing for her to do is to give up the license and then get out of the car and go to jail because she was breaking the law by driving. It is all about personal responsibility.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I think it was excessive. Tasers are supposed to be a last resort alternative to deadly force. They could have pulled her out, or let her sit there until more backup arrived if they felt she would be able to put up enough resistance to be a danger to them or herself.

The second time was definitely excessive. It's not reasonable to expect someone who's just been tased to be able to put their hands behind their back. :scratch:

Many people have been killed by Tasers and their use should not be taken lightly. I'm generally very sympathetic to cops but in this case they could have done better.