Is "politically correct" incorrect?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I bet I can get just as good of a deal and vehicle looking for a used car as you will looking for a preowned vehicle. :lol::lol:

:roll: I'll say it slowly for you.

preowned........... is................more.............saleable............than..............used.

In other words, numbnuts, the dealerships can get more money for a preowned vehicle than they can for a used vehicle. "Used" has a negative connotation to it, preowned does not. At least not at this point in time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
:roll: I'll say it slowly for you.

preowned........... is................more.............saleable............than..............used.

In other words, numbnuts, the dealerships can get more money for a preowned vehicle than they can for a used vehicle. "Used" has a negative connotation to it, preowned does not. At least not at this point in time.

I'm not f*****g stupid Gerry- this just doesn't speak well for our fellow human beings.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm not f*****g stupid Gerry- this just doesn't speak well for our fellow human beings.

well, if you weren't "fu cking stupid" then you wouldn't be calling this change in words as being politically correct. It's all about finding new and innovative ways to make consumers buy.

Glenfilthie

Time Out
Feb 15, 2011
That's right, JLM!

Calling a used car a 'pre-owned car' is not political correctness! The proper term is 'turd polishing'! Gerry's not fat; he's a man 'of generous build'. Similiarly, Filthie is not a hare lip retard...I'm just special.

Wait a minute...maybe those are examples of politically correct turd polishing...?

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Political correction was not something which started in the 1980s.

Support Jews in the 1940s and you would have ended up in a concentration camp. If you were a Slav, in the 1830s, and advocated secession from the Austrian Empire the "authorities" would have thrown you into a jail cell. Preach protestantism in 1530's France and you ended up on the stake and were burnt.
Challenging political correctionism at the moment amounts to lone soldier tactics and doesn't accomplish much. I predict, like all systems from before, inflitrators (such as that arseTrudeau) will just sneak into the political elite and change the system overtime.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One phrase that is especially sickening is "preowned vehicles" - used cars worked for 100 years until some "politically correct" jerk came up with this idiocy.
since when is it a political issue and not a marketing one?

oh, never mind, I see others reached the same conclusion before me.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
since when is it a political issue and not a marketing one?

oh, never mind, I see others reached the same conclusion before me.

You are all right- I got a little off track thinking in terms of "preowned car salesman" to begin with, thinking that as "used car salesman", had gotten a bad rep over the years, they thought "preowned" would clean up their image. The original thought concerned the man more than the product.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Political correctness is a non-issue. It's a bogeyman people like to hold up to support their pre-conceived view that the traditional society they imagine and believe they knew their place in is giving away to an disordered and frightening new future. For the most part, it's just about not hurting people and perhaps it gets a little ahead of itself. Some political correct terms perfectly replace the original terms in meaning and implication, but with the added insult of being patronizing.

When the law starts forcing political correctness, then it becomes a free speech issue and something people should be concerned about.

dreamwatcher

Mar 17, 2010
Edmonton
How about stupid? can we say that? are we allowed to say crossed eyed? bowlegged? how about baldy - would that be okay?
oops, I just described my ex: So to PC about it, he would be ex-stupid, ex-crossed eyed etc?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Government should be politically correct, business to a certain extent, people not at all. It's when people get grousing about not being allowed to call people Nigger and Faggot that the call for an end to political correctness is loudest.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Government should be politically correct, business to a certain extent, people not at all. It's when people get grousing about not being allowed to call people Nigger and Faggot that the call for an end to political correctness is loudest.

There is a difference between being politically incorrect and ignorant.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I think it's rather detesting that such an ancient word is considered politically incorrect. Had Malcom X been educated - as opposed to 'yelling at the man', he would have known that "Nigger" wasn't a slur but, like negro, noir, nègre, was based on the Latin Niger.
Some idiots also want Orient and Oriental to be classified as a slur, but at least we can count on the Chinese to research history and origin of words.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think it's rather detesting that such an ancient word is considered politically incorrect. Had Malcom X been educated - as opposed to 'yelling at the man', he would have known that "Nigger" wasn't a slur but, like negro, noir, nègre, was based on the Latin Niger.
Some idiots also want Orient and Oriental to be classified as a slur, but at least we can count on the Chinese to research history and origin of words.

I agree with you 99% - most people know how "Nigger" was derived. Of course when we were kids the old poem "Eeny meany miney moe" was in common use. But when such a large segment of the population decides a term is offensive, I kind of respect that.............it's just not worth making enemies over. Really, it's no worse than calling an Irishman a "Mick", but the difference is most Irishman take it in good humour - I think. I suppose Oxident and Oxidental will soon be slurs too. :lol: