Is "politically correct" incorrect?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you act like an ass of course people will and should call you on it. We don't need the
government or some professor of language and terms to dictate what is acceptable to
society. What did we do before the terms of life were printed into a code of conduct
speech manual? We used our head and we had manners and there was still edicate.
To me, it seems worse now than it ever was. Just because political correctness
manuals should go through the shredder does not mean we should become ignorant
asses. We have literally attempted to change the language of society without even
taking a moment out to consult those who it effects the people of the planet.
It is time to have people accept personal responsibility for their own actions and words.
I don't need a manual of political correctness to ensure I don't cause people pain or a
loss in their self esteem. I don't need a manual to tell me how not to discriminate against
others. I already know how to be respectful and to understand we are all part of the planet
and. People who hate will still hate and those who are ignorant will learn to broaden their
horizons. For some people there is only one cure for ignorance and that is their passing,
no amount of political correctness will change that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Which guy is African?

Could be the guy on the left at the top.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Could be the guy on the left at the top.

It's a trick question. The top left is South African golfer Louis Oosthuizen and the top right is Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak, both Africans. The bottom is "The Big Fijian", golfer Vijay Singh

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Definitely the whitey. The other two aren't Negros, they're brown, probably sub continent.

Not "definitely" anyone without knowing more about them. My cousins of Canadian & English parentage were born in Nairobi.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not much of a 'trick' when everyone can tell what you're trying to say. lol. The only actual Africans I've ever met have all been white.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I don't condone calling someone a n +++++ or judging people based on colour. I do have a problem with censorship or revising published works because it might be deemed offensive. I absolutely hate political correctness, because it is based on phoney white guilt.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
yep... like my friend going to university in the states getting a lecture for talking about one of her friends' challenges as a 'black' student. You can't say 'black' you have to say African American! "But, she's neither, she's Haitian Canadian." Political correctness to the point of erasing people's heritages.

On the flip side though, something the PC term IS a matter of precision. My friend who calls herself vision impaired for example. yes, she's legally blind, you could call her blind, but, she's not blind, she still sees enough shadow to navigate through life minus a cane or a helper dog.

‘can't say 'black' you have to say African American!’ I have a friend who is dark but she’s not African, she’s from Jamaica. African-American, No I Don’t Think So….WTF....

It's a hell of a lot easier to be sure of a guy being "black" than it is to be sure of him being "African". (unless of course you are visually challenged). :lol:
as I said earlier:
" ‘can't say 'black' you have to say African American!’ I have a friend who is dark but she’s not African, she’s from Jamaica. African-American, No I Don’t Think So…."

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You're the only one who is acting like an ass. :smile:

That you don't have an answer is perhaps the best indication that you neither know what it is that you're railing against and that when confronted with it, you can't even manage to figure it out and have to rely on desparation moves like this one to distract from that.

As often is the case, you would be one of the first to cry foul if ever the world came down they way you feel it should.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not much of a 'trick' when everyone can tell what you're trying to say. lol. The only actual Africans I've ever met have all been white.
Likely Afrikaan's, because South Africa was given back to the Kaffer's and the "whites" have been fleeing like scared Japs. Justifiably so, I might add.

How's that for politically incorrect?

But I can say that, because I'm a minority...where's the rolling eyes smilie, lol.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Likely Afrikaan's, because South Africa was given back to the Kaffer's and the "whites" have been fleeing like scared Japs. Justifiably so, I might add.

How's that for politically incorrect?

But I can say that, because I'm a minority...where's the rolling eyes smilie, lol.

You are a bit on the large size to be a minority.LOL

Glenfilthie

Time Out
Feb 15, 2011
Amen. People are going to say things you disagree with. They will call you names. It is part of life, part of growing up and if that offends you, go stick your head in a toilet and flush a few times. Stereotypes exist for a reason and if you don't want to be a stereotype then don't act like one.

I am not afraid to call a spade a spade.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One phrase that is especially sickening is "preowned vehicles" - used cars worked for 100 years until some "politically correct" jerk came up with this idiocy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
One phrase that is especially sickening is "preowned vehicles" - used cars worked for 100 years until some "politically correct" jerk came up with this idiocy.

This has nothing to do with political correctness and EVERYTHING to do with saleability.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This has nothing to do with political correctness and EVERYTHING to do with saleability.

I bet I can get just as good of a deal and vehicle looking for a used car as you will looking for a preowned vehicle. :lol::lol: