Is Fukushima About to Blow?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
According to radio news Japan has decided to ban the Simpson cartoons because of Homers antics in the nuclear plan.

I didn't hear about that, but I did hear that some television stations in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland are doing some edits to the show. I can see them doing this in Japan, but I don't see any reason for other countries to edit it. In my opinion, that's going a little overboard.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Somethings always telling you something else other than the facts ES. You ain't one of them crazies what sees satanic motives in every warning or every utterance of concern or fear are you?

Beave, you haven't used a fact yet on this forum.

I am not the one starting the nuclear countdown like you did.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
According to one of the guys that I work with who is even less PC than me said this is actually the final act of the WW2. The name of the town has too many letters in it. Should be FUK U.S. and they are sending a cloud of nuclear dust to North America on the jet stream.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
According to one of the guys that I work with who is even less PC than me said this is actually the final act of the WW2. The name of the town has too many letters in it. Should be FUK U.S. and they are sending a cloud of nuclear dust to North America on the jet stream.
I said last week when the radiation started to be detected in the states, that paybacks are a bitch...........

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Responsibility should rest on the shoulders of those who elected to build a nuclear power plant in an earthquake zone. If Tokyo Power made that decision then yeah they should be held accountable.

But the earthquake didn't cause any damage to the plant, so what's that got to do with anything?

Other than salt being corrosive I have never understood why ocean currents couldn't be used to spin very large prop/screw anchored to the sea floor and spinning a waterproofed turbine about the size the large windmills turn. For Canada that would mean being on the west side of any island.

It can be done, and it is being done. Do you keep up with developments?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Hey Tax... you can tell the guy you work with that he is an idiot.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It can be done, and it is being done. Do you keep up with developments?
Not in that specific area, apparently, still working on the design of an emergency brake for the perpetual motion device. Some would probably promote that the use would never actually be needed and it is therefore an excessive expense let alone the delay in further development in ^%# of (*&#^ compared to power (*%@%.

In light of the foresight (or lack of) in Japan it might be better to include all parameters. After all once you change the earth's wobble there might not be any going back if pointing it in the other direction doesn't void the changes.
Just sayin .....

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
But the earthquake didn't cause any damage to the plant, so what's that got to do with anything?

Tell me you're not serious. I must have been watching a different news story then, because I swear I heard the earthquake occurred causing a massive tsunami knocking out the power plant? If you want to split hairs on whether the earthquake caused the problem be my guest.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

8O

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I fondly remember a former girlfriend who was always about to blow.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I must have been watching a different news story then, because I swear I heard the earthquake occurred causing a massive tsunami knocking out the power plant? If you want to split hairs on whether the earthquake caused the problem be my guest.
That may have been the cause of any pipes/connection being damaged as they could survive a little stream of water. The crane that is said to have fallen into one of the pools is not a light piece and it was some floors aboce the high water mark. Is that a design flaw or was it just in the wrong place at the wrong time? (above the pool)
Maybe next time it will be emergency generators up high (and dry) and radioactive goodies kept in the lower oarts (that can be entirely filled with water and whatever)

Even if the power company and/or design company were found guilty they would keep it in court till nobody cared anymore. Exxon didn't pay all their fines and the GOM show that even man-made disasters are passed onto the tax-payers, and even then they get a ****ty job for the amount they dish out. Why would Japan be any different. Haiti has no real wealth, look how far long they aren't in all that time that has passed. The reconstruction should be over than than not having started yet.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Tell me you're not serious. I must have been watching a different news story then, because I swear I heard the earthquake occurred causing a massive tsunami knocking out the power plant? If you want to split hairs on whether the earthquake caused the problem be my guest.

What you've just said above is almost correct, however, it only confirms that what you said earlier was incorrect. The earthquake did not damage the plant.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
What you've just said above is almost correct, however, it only confirms that what you said earlier was incorrect. The earthquake did not damage the plant.
Continue to split hairs if you must. But before you go any further, do yourself a favor and go back and read my post my quibbling friend. Nowhere did I say the earthquake caused the problem. I simply pointed out that building a nuclear plant in an earthquake zone is asking for trouble. Just ask any 12 year old.

Tsunamis don't just form out of thin air (or calm waters). Some external force (like, say, an earthquake under the ocean floor!) must be present that causes displacement of the water with enough force to inflict damage such as we're seeing in Japan today. And as MHz said, we don't yet know how much damage the initial force of the earthquake had on the plant prior to the tsunami hitting the coast. A 9.0 magnitude quake would jar your teeth and shake you to the bone. I can't imagine the impact it would have on rigid piping, wiring & conduit, motor mountings, communications and a whole host of other systems within the plant.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Continue to split hairs if you must. But before you go any further, do yourself a favor and go back and read my post my quibbling friend. Nowhere did I say the earthquake caused the problem. I simply pointed out that building a nuclear plant in an earthquake zone is asking for trouble. Just ask any 12 year old.

And now, before you turn 13 and enter puberty, reread my post, which asked: why is it asking for trouble, since the earthquake didn't cause any damage to the plant?

Would it not be better to avoid building a nuclear plant in a tsunami zone, since it was the tsunami that knocked out the diesels that caused the problem?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Would it not be better to avoid building a nuclear plant in a tsunami zone, since it was the tsunami that knocked out the diesels that caused the problem?
In hindsight, that would be true. In foresight how do they maintain current levels of power production (before the quake) without nuclear power. If anybody is allowed to find an alternative it should be them just due to it being in their own best interest in the short and long terms.

Just because this looks like it might take some time I would like to ask this question. In keeping with the concept that 'sinister' does exist why are these 4 reactors all messed up while the 2 that were just a short distance away not damaged to any great degree (that I have heard). The same quake and the same wave would have hit them. They are probably the newest ones built so did they have some upgrades to them or did stuxnet infect those systems. that failed and had not been in the two reactors that were separated by some distance. That would put the hackers who made it responsible for all damages, watch Tokyo power up the amount of damages. It's like hitting a egg-laying chicken in Mexico, suddenly the dead bird become the most beloved member of the 'large family' when the Judge is the one who is listening.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Maybe they didn't know who wanted to use the basement floors under their own reactor for some experiments? Looks like OBL got past their security, ....... AGAIN