Iran under Sanction Pressures – Reaction?

Oil Sanction

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The real loony toons are the ones who keep attacking other nations just because they can. Iran hasn't attacked anyone and are just trying to defend themselves from being attacked. You know I don't want anybody to have nukes, but if the west is going to have them and decide who can belong to their inner club, I say anyone who can build one should do so just to piss them self righteous pricks off.

The treaties decided that. Iran signed that treaty. For one who puts their faith in so many treaties why is this less important. You know that others will go Nuke, self preservation from Iran, not the US, Iran.

And Iran has many territorial disputes with neighboring countries. Another problem that will raise its ugly head.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The treaties decided that. Iran signed that treaty. For one who puts their faith in so many treaties why is this less important. You know that others will go Nuke, self preservation from Iran, not the US, Iran.

And Iran has many territorial disputes with neighboring countries. Another problem that will raise its ugly head.
It is all still speculation and innuendo, so why is anybody getting their balls in a knot? If in the future, there is proof that there is a nuke being developed, then maybe get excited, but I think Israel would be more of a concern to Arab countries and they doesn't seem to be making much noise about that. Seems to be much to do about nothing going on here.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The real loony toons are the ones who keep attacking other nations just because they can. Iran hasn't attacked anyone and are just trying to defend themselves from being attacked. You know I don't want anybody to have nukes, but if the west is going to have them and decide who can belong to their inner club, I say anyone who can build one should do so just to piss them self righteous pricks off.

Oh poor Iran... they never bother or threaten anyone. Boo Hoo.

I hope you're including your own country in that group of nations that attack other nations "just because they can".

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh poor Iran... they never bother or threaten anyone. Boo Hoo.

I hope you're including your own country in that group of nations that attack other nations "just because they can".
You bettcha! That is why I talk about the west. I do mention the US too because they are the self appointed leaders of this nefarious gang of thugs.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You bettcha! That is why I talk about the west. I do mention the US too because they are the self appointed leaders of this nefarious gang of thugs.

Really? We are?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Really? We are?

So, one fat Canadian prick led one NATO operation and you think we have some power in this game. You are really stretching here Smack. We are 1/10 the size and 1/100th the budget that you have and you think we lead anything? Gi yer head a shake eh! That was a very weak attempt at deflection from Team America.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So, one fat Canadian prick led one NATO operation and you think we have some power in this game. You are really stretching here Smack. We are 1/10 the size and 1/100th the budget that you have and you think we lead anything? Gi yer head a shake eh! That was a very weak attempt at deflection from Team America.

Oh I'm all for Team America... don't think I'm trying to deflect anything.

But there were 3 wars going on and we were running two and lo and behold the self proclaimed "polite" folk from the North were running the third.

And yes... you Canada led the bombing campaign in Libya. It was ALL YOURS baby! Embrace it. Welcome to the Bloody Hands Club!

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Again who is attacking anybody, surely not the U.S. We are out of the war business, just a little unfinished U.N. business.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Again who is attacking anybody, surely not the U.S. We are out of the war business, just a little unfinished U.N. business.

Walked away a year ago. Sanctions increased, now they are willing to talk. I do hope this works out. As Reagan stated - Trust but Verify - this will be central to any agreement. No verification - No agreements will be possible.

Ahmadinejad says Iran ready for nuclear talks - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said that Tehran is ready to sit down with world powers for talks on its alleged nuclear ambitions as he downplayed the harmful effects of newly imposed sanctions.

"They have this excuse that Iran is dodging negotiations while it is not the case," the Iranian leader was quoted as saying by state media on Thursday.

"A person who has logic and has right on his side, why should [he] refrain from negotiations?" Ahmadinejad asked rhetorically.

He was implicitly responding to comments made by Western officials urging Iran to return to negotiations over its contested nuclear programme.

"The European Union [EU] stands together in sending that clear message to the government of Iran: that we wish to go back to negotiations, to invite them to pick up the issues which were left on the table in Istanbul a year ago," Catherine Ashton, EU foreign policy chief, said on Tuesday.

The last round of talks between Iran and the major powers consisting of Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States was held in Turkey in January 2011, but the negotiations collapsed.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You just obsess OBSESS obsess about a fictional war with Iran. Joooo hating and war are like fetishes to you.

You simply want there to be a war so you can go on and on about it.
So does NATO have a new sucker, I mean leader', for the liberation of Syria or are you going to need to bring up Libya again?
They have '2fer' also, big marriage, big funeral all one price, all same crowd.

Will he have the same authority should the US ever ask Canada to do some Martial Law duties, say in the Boston area?
That old rule of waving any flag as a sign of surrender is now a 'hit me hard' to any drone/satellite withing sight/range, or so they say. We could make it the 200 year anniversary of the last war we had.
I suppose bringing supplies in under the ice is going to bring UN sanctions.

Think of us as the Cuba that just won't go away. Look at the money both sides stand to make should it end up as a few decades long.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

The U.S. will not have to operate their ships in the confines of the Persian Gulf, they would be just as effective in the Indian Ocean or even the Mediterranean Sea. Submarines included. The problem is that you don't think about what Iran would be up against.

You are right, the US doesn't have to, but for some reason they do. I think whoever is in charge might be overly cocky if not making a seriously bad tactical/strategic error..

January 22, 2012
By the CNN Wire Staff

The USS Abraham Lincoln and the USS John Stennis are in the Gulf. The Lincoln moved through the Strait of Hormuz Sunday.

Flanked by British and French ships, the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier moved through the Strait of Hormuz without incident Sunday despite recent threats from Iran.
After Iran threat, U.S. aircraft carrier goes through Strait of Hormuz without incident - CNN

Like I said, the Persian Gulf is a bath tub.

If they were lunatics Iran would be a glass parking lot.
I guess the good people of Iran should be grateful.

BTW, how would you feel if the same threat hung over our heads as their heads? Would you also be grateful they hadn't vaporized us?

It’s unlikely that Stephen Harper, John Baird, Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich have ever heard of Tamir Pardo, Meir Dagan, Amos Yadlin, Gabi Ashkenazi or Yuval Diskin. But it would probably make no difference if they had. Benjamin Netanyahu certainly knows them well...

State-sponsored killing is just murder by another name

On the morning of January 11, Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan, the deputy head of Iran's uranium enrichment facility at Natanz, was on his way to work when he was blown up by a magnetic bomb attached to his car door. He was 32 and married with a young son. He was not armed, nor anywhere near a battlefield.

Since 2010, three other Iranian nuclear scientists have been killed in similar circumstances, including Darioush Rezaeinejad, a 35-year-old electronics expert shot dead outside his daughter's nursery in Tehran last July.

Iranian Nuclear Scientist Killed in Bomb Blast

Even the US condemned the murders..
US condemns Iranian nuclear scientist killing
Tensions rise as Hillary Clinton denies any US role in apparent bomb attack while Iran calls for strong UN condemnation.

US condemns Iranian nuclear scientist killing - Americas - Al Jazeera English

You might find this enlightening:
Harper and the U.S. are wrong on the Iran threat - The Globe and Mail

I'm against nuclear weapons. Nuke weapon nations must relinquish them. If not then sooner or later they'll use them. I'm inclined to believe that Iran has no intention of acquiring nuclear weapons. Iran could have had nukes by now and they don't. Tactically and strategically Iran does not need nukes to defend itself.

An Unnecessary Crisis
Setting the Record Straight about Iran's Nuclear Program
By: H.E. Dr. Zarif

Published in New York Times ( November 18, 2005)​

In a region already suffering from upheaval and uncertainty, a crisis is being manufactured in which there will be no winners. Worse yet, the hysteria about the dangers of an alleged Iran nuclear weapon program rest solely and intentionally on misperceptions and outright lies. In the avalanche of anti-Iran media commentaries, conspicuously absent is any reference to important facts, coupled with a twisted representation of the developments over the past 25 years. Before the international community is lead to another “crisis of choice”, it is imperative that the public knows all the facts and is empowered to make an informed and sober decision about an impending catastrophe...

..Iran today is the strongest country in its immediate neighborhood. It does not need nuclear weapons to protect its regional interests. In fact, to augment Iranian influence in the region, it has been necessary for Iran to win the confidence of its neighbors, who have historically been concerned with size and power disparities.

On the other hand, Iran , with its current state of technological development and military capability, cannot reasonably rely on nuclear deterrence against its adversaries in the international arena or in the wider region of the Middle East . Moreover, such an unrealistic option would be prohibitively expensive, draining the limited economic resources of the country. In sum, a costly nuclear-weapon option would reduce Iran 's regional influence and increase its global vulnerabilities without providing any credible deterrence.

There is also a fundamental ideological objection to weapons of mass destruction, including a religious decree issued by the leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran prohibiting the development, stockpiling or use of nuclear weapons.

The Permanent Mission Of The Islamic Republic Of Iran To The UN

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What does not add up is your inability to see the region and what and how other countries will react to a Nuke capable Iran.
Keep on hassling Iran. I think it's fantastic they started trading oil for gold. The $175 increase in an oz of gold over the last week is wonderful!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Closing the Persian Gulf and as a result access to most of the world's oil would be fantastic for Canada since we have the world's second largest proven oil reserve. Sure it would be tough for the people in the Persian Gulf and most of the rest of the world dependent on middle east oil, but Canada didn't create the current crisis and we have no business getting involved. Our resources can best help the world if we focus on developing our oil reserves in anticipation of an oil shortage and spike in price, rather than sending our military to defend the interests of others.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Closing the Persian Gulf and as a result access to most of the world's oil would be fantastic for Canada since we have the world's second largest proven oil reserve. Sure it would be tough for the people in the Persian Gulf and most of the rest of the world dependent on middle east oil, but Canada didn't create the current crisis and we have no business getting involved. Our resources can best help the world if we focus on developing our oil reserves in anticipation of an oil shortage and spike in price, rather than sending our military to defend the interests of others.

Well thought out.We do not have the upgraders,refineries,pipelines. it is still in the ground

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Obama is ratcheting up the sanctions.

Obama orders new Iran sanctions amid nuclear fears - World - CBC News

U.S. President Barack Obama is imposing tough new sanctions against Iran and its Central Bank in a move designed to freeze the country's assets amid growing nuclear tensions.

Obama has signed an executive order that will cut the Islamic republic off from finance and commerce under U.S. jurisdiction, reasoning that "deceptive practices of the Central Bank of Iran and other Iranian banks" warranted the strict measures.

The president's letter to Congress accused Iran of trying to "conceal transactions of sanctioned parties" and said that poor anti-money laundering enforcement there posed an "unacceptable risk" to the global financial system.

The U.S. Treasury Department said in a release that under the order, Iran's assests within the jurisdiction of U.S. persons or entities will be frozen.

The executive order is designed to enforce Central Bank sanctions in a defence bill passed last year and signed into law by Obama. The purpose of the bill was to restrict funding for Tehran's nuclear program and its alleged financing of international terrorism.

The futility of predicting Iran's future - By Bilal Y. Saab | The Middle East Channel

Let us assume for a moment that Iran acquires a nuclear weapons capability (which is anything but inevitable given the many technical and political unknowns), a "nuclear seat belt or air bag" so to speak, will it behave like a more reckless driver? It is no surprise that analysts have had disagreements on this issue, some strong, others more nuanced. Most analysts however believe that a nuclear Iran -- whether overtly nuclear-armed or capable of producing weapons quickly -- would present an even greater challenge to Western interests and regional security than it does today, more aggressively protecting its strategic interests, projecting its power, pursuing its ideological ambitions, and meddling in the politics and security of its neighbors. A nuclear Iran could look more like Pakistan, a country that, after its 1998 nuclear tests, was feeling more confident on the regional and international stage and was arguably taking more risks in its policies toward its historical rival, India.

A more optimistic view of how a nuclear Iran would look and conduct itself in world politics suggests that mere possession of the bomb does not necessarily lead to a foreign policy of aggression and bellicosity. Despite its idiosyncratic features, ideological motivations and political instability, a nuclear Iran could resemble China, a country that, in pursuit of its security and diplomatic interests, has mostly sought to deter rather than confront, cooperate rather than defy, and coexist rather than threaten (except on the issues of Taiwan's and Tibet's independence, which continue to be red lines for the Chinese leadership).

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Iran under Sanction Pressures – Reaction?

With almost complete sanction on Iranian Banks – It is harder then before to conduct business.

The EU and others are in the process of imposing Sanction on Iranian Oil

No oil sales – no money – Cost of living has increased, along with all the other problems that this will cause.

Now Iran is in the threatening Stage – Any imposition of Oil sanctions they state will result in the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

A long term oil embargo will bankrupt the Thugocracy.

Needless to say this will result in a War.

Finally sanctions that may cause Iran to sit down and cooperate on their Nuclear Programs.

Now if oil sanctions are imposed 80% of Iranian Revenue is gone. The political difficulties from this will be immense for the Thugocracy -

U.S. Fifth Fleet: Iran disrupting oil exports through Strait of Hormuz 'will not be tolerated' | News | National Post

The U.S. Fifth Fleet said on Wednesday it would not allow any disruption of traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, after Iran threatened to stop ships moving through the world’s most important oil route.
“Anyone who threatens to disrupt freedom of navigation in an international strait is clearly outside the community of nations; any disruption will not be tolerated,” the Bahrain-based fleet said in an e-mail.

Iran, at loggerheads with the West over its nuclear program, said on Tuesday it would stop the flow of oil through the Strait of Hormuz in the Gulf if sanctions were imposed on its crude exports.
“Closing the Strait of Hormuz for Iran’s armed forces is really easy … or as Iranians say, it will be easier than drinking a glass of water,” Iran’s navy chief Habibollah Sayyari told Iran’s English-language Press TV on Wednesday.
“But right now, we don’t need to shut it …,” said Sayyari, who is leading 10 days of exercises in the Strait.

Analysts say that Iran could potentially cause havoc in the Strait of Hormuz, a strip of water separating Oman and Iran, which connects the biggest Gulf oil producers, including Saudi Arabia, with the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea. At its narrowest point, it is 21 miles across.
But its navy would be no match for the firepower of the Fifth Fleet which consists of 20-plus ships supported by combat aircraft, with 15,000 people afloat and another 1,000 ashore.
A spokesperson for the Fifth Fleet said in response to queries from Reuters that, it “maintains a robust presence in the region to deter or counter destabilizing activities,” without providing further details.
A British Foreign Office spokesman called the Iranian threat “rhetoric,” saying: “Iranian politicians regularly use this type of rhetoric to distract attention from the real issue, which is the nature of their nuclear program.”

US Warns Iran Against Closing Hormuz Route - TIME

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/w...f-embargo-is-imposed.html?_r=1&ref=middleeast

U.S. warns Iran that oil disruption 'will not be tolerated' - The Globe and Mail

The U.S. warned Iran Wednesday that it will not tolerate any disruption of naval traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, after Iran's navy chief said the Islamic Republic is capable of closing the vital oil route if the West imposes new sanctions targeting Tehran's oil exports.
Iran's Adm. Habibollah Sayyari told state-run Press TV that closing the strait, which is the only sea outlet for the crucial oil fields in and around the Persian Gulf, “is very easy” for his country's naval forces

Some more research links.

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/files/IS3301_pp082-117_Talmadge.pdf

Closing Strait of Hormuz not so easy for Iran: analysts | Reuters

Will Iran Block the Hormuz Strait? | Foreign Policy Journal

Iran Viewpoint: Strait Of Hormuz As Iran
Why is it when the US sneezes, the rest of the world apologizes.

Gimme a break. Can't you see what's happening? Iran wants to go nuclear because hydro power is not a viable option. The US is worried that if Iran has nuclear power it may attack Israel for the "sucker punch" it gave Iran a while back when it bombed Iran's facilities. So what? They should be worried. That's what happens when you attack another country, you worry that it will eventually get new technology. The lesson learned is to mind your own business and then no one will want to get even.

Remember too the US navy shooting down Iran's commercial liner by the USS Vincenze a while back and they tried to cover up the fact the frigate was in Iranian waters.

I'm with Iran all the way.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Who is causing the growing nuclear tensions? Who is putting pressure on Iran and causing financial insecurity? The US... as usual. Why would Iran want to cooperate with a bunch of thugs who are constantly threatening them and trying to starve them out? I hope they get nukes (if they don't already have them) before the bullies come charging through the gate. The tough guys need a good swift kick to the gonads and I hope Iran gives it to them.