I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it...

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Ahhh, you missed the point of the thread. It isn't about the declaration, it's about the vacuum of the label.

Interesting point you bring up about labels, bear. It's not just true of labelling people, though.

Think about this: There's a part of your brain which has been developed solely for the purpose of recognising things. For instance, as a child, you see a confusing array of interesting squiggly patterns in brown with a smooth texture and a round knob on one side. One day someone tells you "that's a door", and from then on, anything that looks like that becomes a door. Later other descriptions of door get put in the same barrel under the same label. You need no longer investigate doors on any deep descriptive level, just check for the knob and the shape and your brain says "door".

However, it is possible to disable or at least relax that part of your brain. Some use meditation and other mental techniques. Some use yoga and other physical techniques. Possibly the easiest way is to take some shrooms or LSD. In the state thus engendered, you will find that the labels are less important and the things requir much deeper investigation. Once again you can look at that door and see the astounding level of detail in the markings that you would usually just dismiss as part of "door".

What you can learn from this kind of experience is that labels can blind you somewhat to reality. One doesnt look very closely at something when one already knows what category it fits into and can pin a label on it and continue with life. What you also learn is that those labels are extremely convenient. Without them life is overwhelming and time-consuming. A trip to the store can take hours, because every leaf needs close examination, as do the clouds, the pavement, and of course without any labels, one road looks much like another, and who cares which way you're going anyway? look at that pretty coloured thing over there....

All of the above applies to people as well as inanimate things

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Interesting point you bring up about labels, bear. It's not just true of labelling people, though....

Excellent post herm!!! Very enlightening and quite a mouth full of insight to chew on.
No it doesn't. Which is what makes you, like the majority here, wiser then some.

Geez ... Site gets inaccessible for a day and look what happens!
I was bored, I wanted to get out side the box. (pun intended) lmao!

So, what's it really matter how you're wired as long as you're not popping fuses?

Woof!
My point exactly Wolf.

Imp

Nominee Member
Mar 2, 2008
Interesting point you bring up about labels, bear. It's not just true of labelling people, though.

What you can learn from this kind of experience is that labels can blind you somewhat to reality. One doesnt look very closely at something when one already knows what category it fits into and can pin a label on it and continue with life. What you also learn is that those labels are extremely convenient. Without them life is overwhelming and time-consuming.

Hi hermanntrude.

What's sad is that most people also attach their prejudices along with the labels when they label someone.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So you're gay?

So? Why do I need to get used to it, and why do I care if you are or not?

In fact, why bring it up to begin with? I mean, no offense, but I don't go shoving my hetro in your face and tell you to get used to it, so why shove it in our faces?

I'll reference your quote below as generic:

Is that a label you wear with pride?

Nope, I couldn't care less.

Is it a label that changes peoples mannerisms around you?

Nope, nor should my sexual orientation be the foundation of my identity. To me, it is not what you believe in, what you like or dislike that define you, it is your actions through life. What you do in your bed and private life has no affect on my own life, so once again.... I couldn't care less.

Does the label 'straight' make you different, or are you the same person with or without it?

I am the same person either way, as you may see most of my posts in here (Minus what relates to sex in certain topics) has no relation to what I say in here or my principles. And in the same breath, your sexual orintation has not, nor will it have an effect on how I view your own posts and comments. Hell, to me, you're just another username with an avatar and opinion. You could be a guy, girl, gay, straight, transgender, whatever..... it has no major effect on an online forum..... so I am still not sure why you brought it up.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Hi hermanntrude.

What's sad is that most people also attach their prejudices along with the labels when they label someone.

It is impossible for them not to. A label IS prejudice, if the label is associated with something you think of as negative.

All we can hope for is for people to recognise that they have their prejudices and try to be flexible enough to overcome them when it is pertinent to do so

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
boy some people really did get the wrong end of the bendy black rubber stick in this thread.

very enlightening. Good idea bear. What other japes can we get up to?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I guess so.... of course if nobody get's the actual point you're trying to make, then what's the point to begin with?

Then the topic makes 2 points......the original point of the topic...... and it makes a point about how dense some people are.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Then the topic makes 2 points......the original point of the topic...... and it makes a point about how dense some people are.

Well besides claiming he's gay (*twirls finger* whoopie do) what the hell else is there? Who really cares?

speaking of dense.

I asked previously what's the point about proclaiming your gayness or straightness in an online forum where it doesn't actually matter in the first place.... and received no reply on those questions.

Now it's either for getting some attention for something that really shouldn't matter in todays age, or it's something else.

Which is it?

Here... since some people as you claim are pretty dense, I'll ask it again:

So? Why do I need to get used to it, and why do I care if you are or not?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
...something that really shouldn't matter in todays age...

I think this right here was exactly his point. That it shouldn't make a damn difference in how you react to him, post to him, think of him. That labels are ridiculous and our reactions too them, even moreso.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Labels are what give the narrow-minded their illusion of right when pigeon-holing real people....

Woof!

although you'd have to be really arrogant to believe that you don't use labels yourself, and therefore recognise that labels have their place in life.

the best we can really hope for is that people are aware of the shortcomings of labelling and allow ourselves to be flexible with the definitions that come with the labels we use.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I think this right here was exactly his point. That it shouldn't make a damn difference in how you react to him, post to him, think of him. That labels are ridiculous and our reactions too them, even moreso.

Granted and is my point as well.... to me personally, which made me post in this thread to begin with, has always been about that stupid slogan and the pride parades and such.

"We're here, we're queer, get used to it" ~ Considdering most of society which has a brain in todays age are pretty well already used to it, what the hell is the point of continuing to shove it in our faces? If we're supposed to be equal and all that good stuff, then why continue with the parades? Why continue to announce your sexual orintation? Why do groups like to run off to Town/City Hall and fight to slap their rainbow flag up along with our national/proviencial flags for all to see??

I don't go running around humping all the women on the street to show I'm straight, I don't go yelling in the forums I like vaginas and to get used to it, and I'm not running off to city/town hall to slap a big colorful flag with a penis thrusting into a vagina for all to see either.......

If people of a different sexual orintation want to be treated equally, then stop shoving it in our faces to bring attention to it in the first place.

that's all. It seems counter productive to me, and you're only continuing the differences by trying to make it like there is something different about it.

You like sex? Good... I don't care what gender it's with, if you like leather, or shoving needles into your arse... what you do in the comfort of your own home or privacy has nothing to do with my everyday life...... or the comments you make in these forums.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Just out of curiosity, when you fart does it make a trumpet like sound or just a whooshing sound?

I'm not sure who you're asking this too... but my farts make wooshing sounds the days after my wife ****s me with a strap-on.

Reactions: CDNBear