If Guns Weren`t Purchased...

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Add a heat source. Another thing to do is to get a cop to shoot at you and hit one of the containers strapped to you. It isn't brain surgery.

Strange that you should say that.....as a youngster, in northern Ontario, in the spring I would help my dad on weekends collecting the left-over dynamite along the river logging drive......most of it we burned on the spot ( the only safe way to dispose of old dynamite) some of the sticks that didn't show any signs of "sweating" we brought home for "stumping" on the farm.
One time I decided to do a little test...having seen some cowboy movies at the theater....
I took my '22' and fired multiple shoots at a stick of dynamite....almost cutting it in half...with no explosion...Hollywood does it again...:toothy10:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
An ATV or PWC, doesn't have the ability to dispatch with human life on mass, click, click locked and loaded, to do it all again.

Yes, but more people in this country have been either killed on or by ATV's and PWC's in this country than by firearms. And the only people killed with automatic weapons have been civilians by police, and innocent ones at that when the QPP raided the wrong hotel room and killed two carpet layers hired by the hotel.

If you got with 20 feet of the door of the gun club not 20 minutes from here, you'ld already be on camera and the police would already be well on their way. Gun clubs are legislated to death for security. And rightly so.

That may be where you are, but gun clubs are not reglated for security at all. Four gun clubs within an hour's drive of me don't even have power, are in rural areas, and have been broken into numerous times where money, target stands and building materials have been stolen. As for your reliance on police, my wife called about kids illegally hunting and shooting in our back field, and toward our house, and the RCMP resoponse time was 4 hours, yes, count 'em four hours. The safest place for firearm storage is still the home, and your best defense is yourself.

I'm Ex Army, an Ex Con and still Native, I can easily obtain illegal firearms on a whim. Most of what I've seen and have access to, have been legally purchased in the States, and snuggled here. Theft is a low contributor for the weapons issues we face in Canada.

Therin lies the problem, keeping any type of firearm from the law abiding public will not stop gang bangers from getting them. BTW, I hope you're still native, kinda hard to quit that ;-).

Look, I'm not talking about banning weapons willy nilly here. I fully support the right to bear arms. But certain firearms are well outside the relm of appropriate civilian possesion. Like semi auto shotguns, they have no place in civilian life.

It sounds pretty willy nilly if you find no use for semi auto shotguns. That is all I use, the recoil is lower, it allows for three misses instead of two, (however I have on numerous occasions downed three birds without reloading). Banning firearms based on action, appearance, caliber or any other arbitrary reason only leads to a complete ban. Besides, it has never worked anywhere anyway, it only leads to the thugs having more power, and sometimes those thugs work for the government.

It isn't me in a nut shell. I'm not anti gun. I'm anti stupid people, with guns.

Well, so am I, I'm also against stupid people with cars and trucks and such. The problem is; who makes that determination? We still live in a country where you actually have to do something wrong before anything can be done. Any other alternative borders on totalitarianism.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I have been a member of three gun clubs in my life.

One, the local Fish and Game club here in Saint john, was put out of business because the range was literally stolen from them by the City........outrageous! that was an indoor range, but it had no security..........

I was President of another range for three years..........we lost one piece of land, and had to re-locate........the only place the gov't would let us shoot was sooooo remote that it had no power........

The range I belong to now also has no power.

In addition, I don't go pay $!,000 for a handgun to only have access to it at the whim of somebody else. As it is, I can take it to the range anytime.

The idea of locking up all the guns together always struck me as just silly.........

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
One time I decided to do a little test...having seen some cowboy movies at the theater....
I took my '22' and fired multiple shoots at a stick of dynamite....almost cutting it in half...with no explosion...Hollywood does it again...:toothy10:

You didn't mention whether the sick was "sweating" or not. Dynamite is just nitroglycerine stablized in clay making it a high explosive, needing a powerful detonator, (some low explosives only require a heat source). Nitroglycerine on it's own is very unstable, my brother in law found this out the hard way. He collected a small vial of the stuff from old dynamite, sat it on a stump and shot at it with a .22. a large chunk of stump ended up in the bathroom of the farmhouse :lol:.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have yet to see a Gun Club in Ontario that wasn't just this side of Fort Knox, and visited frequently by the OPP.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I have yet to see a Gun Club in Ontario that wasn't just this side of Fort Knox, and visited frequently by the OPP.

That is probably either due to gunophobes, or the clubs actually do store firearms, which would be asinine because it is neither required or prudent. The club would put itself at great risk of liability. Unless there is a complaint, or reasonable cause, the police have no business there in an official capacity and may well be operating well outside their scope, or the law for that matter. Inspecting gun clubs and ranges falls under federal jurisdiction and is the job of the Chief Firearms Officer. The police do not have the expertise for inspections, and if they are checking club members they may be acting unconstitutionally. The only police that have come to our club are members themselves.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
One, the local Fish and Game club here in Saint john, was put out of business because the range was literally stolen from them by the City........outrageous! that was an indoor range, but it had no security..........

Huh? How'd that happen? Did they not own the facilities? I know that cities can by-law a club to death too. We are in the process of certifying an indoor range in he country and are being stalled by, get this, a noise assessment. The municipality has no one certified to do this assessment, plus the range is on private property in a converted chicken barn. The building is soundproof and the road noise is the loudest thing in the area. Our club also owns the land the outdoor range is on.

The idea of locking up all the guns together always struck me as just silly.........

It is silly, it would be just a government mandated smorgasbord for criminals 8O.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That is probably either due to gunophobes, or the clubs actually do store firearms, which would be asinine because it is neither required or prudent. The club would put itself at great risk of liability. Unless there is a complaint, or reasonable cause, the police have no business there in an official capacity and may well be operating well outside their scope, or the law for that matter. Inspecting gun clubs and ranges falls under federal jurisdiction and is the job of the Chief Firearms Officer. The police do not have the expertise for inspections, and if they are checking club members they may be acting unconstitutionally. The only police that have come to our club are members themselves.
Well seeing as I was just a guest, and a law abiding citizen, accompanying another law abiding citizen, it's a moot point.

I like Cops...Their presence is a reaffirmation of support from where I sit. I don't know about 'gunophobes'. Just seems if someone owns a restricted weapon, keeping it at a safe facility makes sense. Unlike in Colpy's case, as an instructor and all. As for yourself. I don't know you, nor your background, so I won't make a judgement.

I live in the country, most if not all my neighbours own a firearm of some sort. Only a few of them do n't impress me. A few own sidearms.

I've used fully and semi automatic weapons, even fired them in self defence. I've seen the aftermath of war, up close and personal. I still feel, automatic weapons, have no place in the civilian population. Sidearms..? In some cases I can find no fault in it. But I see it used, far to often, as a dick extention. I think guns oft give people a false sense of security too.

At any rate, you and I are not likely to agree on this anytime soon. So lets agree to dissagree.

BTW...I'll be out hunting Coyote tomorrow, with a Crossbow, in a firearm restricted zone. For some reason, I seem to have a better success rate then my gun toting counterparts, lol...;-)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Strange that you should say that.....as a youngster, in northern Ontario, in the spring I would help my dad on weekends collecting the left-over dynamite along the river logging drive......most of it we burned on the spot ( the only safe way to dispose of old dynamite) some of the sticks that didn't show any signs of "sweating" we brought home for "stumping" on the farm.
Yeah. Dynamite is pretty shock-proof, unless, as you say, it's been sweating. Fertilizer bombs aren't dynamite. Besides that stuff, black powder is easy to make and if one is cautious enough, one can make nitro itself. Any of which can make big boom when one decides to self-destruct and take others along for the ride.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yeah. Dynamite is pretty shock-proof, unless, as you say, it's been sweating. Fertilizer bombs aren't dynamite. Besides that stuff, black powder is easy to make and if one is cautious enough, one can make nitro itself. Any of which can make big boom when one decides to self-destruct and take others along for the ride.
Nitro is touchy to make only because of the heat generated in mixing nitric acid and sulfuric acid...... then when you add the glycerin there is danger of spontaneous explosion if the mixture temperature is above a certain number...
An easier explosive to make is "nitro cellulose" or "gun cotton" which has almost the same proportions of nitric and sulfuric acid but you don't have to worry about the heat.....just soak cotton in it for a while (I usually waited until the cotton turned deep yellow) then you remove the cotton from the solution....rinse it with water until it returns to normal color an you figure it is safe to handle with your bare hands... then let it air dry ...............and voila....the non scientific way of making an explosive that is four times as strong as black powder......and actually the basis for most commercial gunpowder to-day:smile:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You'ld be surprised, I know I sure was.

Actually I do know. I have a blasting ticket. It is not that the materials are hard to find but it is not as simple as in the movies. There is a fair chance that Darwinism would prevent at least some repeat offenders. One would at least have to read the Anarchists Cookbook and expend a little energy.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You didn't mention whether the sick was "sweating" or not. Dynamite is just nitroglycerine stablized in clay making it a high explosive, needing a powerful detonator, (some low explosives only require a heat source). Nitroglycerine on it's own is very unstable, my brother in law found this out the hard way. He collected a small vial of the stuff from old dynamite, sat it on a stump and shot at it with a .22. a large chunk of stump ended up in the bathroom of the farmhouse :lol:.
I think I did mention in my post that any dynamite that showed any sign of "sweating" was burned on the spot...we only kept the good stuff for the farm..

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''Box cutters. killed about 3,000 on Sept 11, 2001......''

their organization got a big boost a long time ago from their patron:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Last edited:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
This could have been avoided if an armed security guard was there and if metal detectors had been in use.

Maybe, maybe not, an armed guard may have made him find another target, or the armed guard may have been his first target, hard to say. The guy managed to fire off some 98 rounds in under two minutes, and he had it planned out, the element of surprise was on his side.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Nitro is touchy to make only because of the heat generated in mixing nitric acid and sulfuric acid...... then when you add the glycerin there is danger of spontaneous explosion if the mixture temperature is above a certain number...
An easier explosive to make is "nitro cellulose" or "gun cotton" which has almost the same proportions of nitric and sulfuric acid but you don't have to worry about the heat.....just soak cotton in it for a while (I usually waited until the cotton turned deep yellow) then you remove the cotton from the solution....rinse it with water until it returns to normal color an you figure it is safe to handle with your bare hands... then let it air dry ...............and voila....the non scientific way of making an explosive that is four times as strong as black powder......and actually the basis for most commercial gunpowder to-day:smile:
I knew that. Still have all my fingers. Used to make bombs out of railway torpedoes, too. That's TNT.