If Guns Weren`t Purchased...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The old gun toter's saw that "Guns don't kill people; people kill people!" tells me guns should not be sold to people!
Nope, guns shouldn't be sold to certain people...

I do not believe the average citizen needs to carry or posses a sidearm. Automatic weapons have no need in civilian life and quite frankly, I don't like firearms. I'm a Bow hunter and find Archery to be far more sporting then rifle hunting.

Firearms have a small place in civilian life and it needs to stay small.

What needs to grow is, sentences for illegal possession, concealment or use of.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I find it suspicious that everytime there is a masacre gun control comes up like it were planned that way.

Not one word about increasing research into mental health which is the leading malady of the human species and the least recognized and understood.

If the same effort that women put into saving their boobs went to saving their minds the world would be much much different.

Broken minds kill people not guns.

Excellent answer petros, right on the button.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Only if you think the killer had very weak motives for doing what he did.

I doubt very much that he did this on a whim...

It sounds like the motive behind his attack was him losing his job and the fact that he could not speak English very well.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
what if these people could shoot back at the gunman.......how many would he have been able to shoot then before he was shot?

He was wearing body armour which would make it a lot tougher to wound, let alone kill, him.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I find it suspicious that everytime there is a masacre gun control comes up like it were planned that way.

Not one word about increasing research into mental health which is the leading malady of the human species and the least recognized and understood.

If the same effort that women put into saving their boobs went to saving their minds the world would be much much different.

Broken minds kill people not guns.

Right and if not guns what would it be.. ?

People will always find ways to kill each others and that does not solve the problem..

So you are correct in saying mental health and education are probably the number one issue to resolve this problem.

Gun laws are only, and I say ONLY, useful for knowledge of how many weapons are LEGALLY in an area and at what location they should be at.

Illegal weapons CANNOT be tracked and never will.

Of course as the saying goes if you had no weapons you could not use them. But the issue is that they exist and are in mainstream society.

When man develops the Star Trek Phaser will every self defending person want one and will every corner criminal have one also. Today no one has one that we know of because it does not exist, tomorrow it may well be the future weapon of choice killing 100's in seconds instead of 35.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Nope, guns shouldn't be sold to certain people...

I do not believe the average citizen needs to carry or posses a sidearm. Automatic weapons have no need in civilian life and quite frankly, I don't like firearms. I'm a Bow hunter and find Archery to be far more sporting then rifle hunting.

Firearms have a small place in civilian life and it needs to stay small.

What needs to grow is, sentences for illegal possession, concealment or use of.

That is your belief, and you are entitled to it, I don't like personal watercraft and see no useful purpose for them either. But the fact remains that weapons have been around since Cain and Abel, and most, if not all arms were developed, or have their roots in defense and warfare, their use in hunting is an afterthought. I happen to feel that it is my duty to protect my home and family by whatever means available, because if you ever have the misfortune to have your home invaded by two or three crackheads you can be sure they won't play nice, and they have the advantage of strength and surprise on their side. They also lie in wait in dark parking garages and alleys, and your possessions may not be all they take.

BTW, before automatic firearms were prohibited there was only one instance of the criminal use of one, by a soldier, to commandeer the Quebec legislature, with a military issue submachinegun.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
He was wearing body armour which would make it a lot tougher to wound, let alone kill, him.
Three in the face...

That is your belief, and you are entitled to it, I don't like personal watercraft and see no useful purpose for them either.
Funny, neither do I.
But the fact remains that weapons have been around since Cain and Abel, and most, if not all arms were developed, or have their roots in defense and warfare, their use in hunting is an afterthought. I happen to feel that it is my duty to protect my home and family by whatever means available, because if you ever have the misfortune to have your home invaded by two or three crackheads you can be sure they won't play nice, and they have the advantage of strength and surprise on their side. They also lie in wait in dark parking garages and alleys, and your possessions may not be all they take.
I think you missed my point, jumped to a few conclusions and are sounding a tad paranoid.
BTW, before automatic firearms were prohibited there was only one instance of the criminal use of one, by a soldier, to commandeer the Quebec legislature, with a military issue submachinegun.
And your point would be?

There is no need for any civilian to posses an automatic weapon. If you wish to collect them, disable it, or store it at a gun club.

BTW: When I say "I don't like firearms", it's because they bore me. Well except a few rifles and a couple automatic assault rifles. I've been there, done that, got the tags too.

It's just the majority of people I've met, with weapons in their home, shouldn't.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
CDNbear; If I sound paranoid it may be because I am, Alan Rock helped out in that regard. I am also protective and vigilant, I have my reasons for that too. I may have missed your point, but it has been my experience that those who see no reason themselved to possess something believe no one else has a reason either. That may not be you, but it is so for a large number of activists who have the sympathy of gun grabbing legislators.

My point of the automatic firearms is that they were arbitrarily classified as "prohibited", for absolutely no reason, they have never been used to commit a criminal act by a civilian in this country. Emotion trumps logic, even though I see no practical use for them myself, they may be very useful in dispatching a pack of wild dogs or coyotes attacking livestock, who knows. Just like PWC's and ATV's though I hate them I see justification in having them arbitrarily banned.

As for storage at a gun club, very few clubs are staffed 24 hours a day, nor are they fortified or secure enough to prevent theft by criminals. Criminals don't know which homes have alluring firearms, but clubs are easy targets and many are out in the countrside. Heck, even police detachments and military armouries have fallen victim to theft.

Granted there are those who shouldn't possess firearms, there are also those who shouldn't drive or operate power tools. But we can't yet phohibit someone from owning something because of what we think they might do. The training requirements in place now though have resulted in a sharp reduction in accidental shootings, as a matter of fact there has only been one fatality the East Coast in the last four years, but poaching and alcohol were involved too.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
CDNbear; If I sound paranoid it may be because I am, Alan Rock helped out in that regard. I am also protective and vigilant, I have my reasons for that too. I may have missed your point, but it has been my experience that those who see no reason themselved to possess something believe no one else has a reason either. That may not be you, but it is so for a large number of activists who have the sympathy of gun grabbing legislators.

My point of the automatic firearms is that they were arbitrarily classified as "prohibited", for absolutely no reason, they have never been used to commit a criminal act by a civilian in this country. Emotion trumps logic, even though I see no practical use for them myself, they may be very useful in dispatching a pack of wild dogs or coyotes attacking livestock, who knows. Just like PWC's and ATV's though I hate them I see justification in having them arbitrarily banned.

As for storage at a gun club, very few clubs are staffed 24 hours a day, nor are they fortified or secure enough to prevent theft by criminals. Criminals don't know which homes have alluring firearms, but clubs are easy targets and many are out in the countrside. Heck, even police detachments and military armouries have fallen victim to theft.

Granted there are those who shouldn't possess firearms, there are also those who shouldn't drive or operate power tools. But we can't yet phohibit someone from owning something because of what we think they might do. The training requirements in place now though have resulted in a sharp reduction in accidental shootings, as a matter of fact there has only been one fatality the East Coast in the last four years, but poaching and alcohol were involved too.

I understand your point but, the certain guns that we ar probably referring to
are made for killing humans, and bought for that purpose, none of the power
tools, or vehicles are sold 'for' that purpose.
A person could be killed with a kitchen utensil, but they are not sold for that
purpose, nor are bricks, or boulders, but 'those' guns are.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, gun laws sure helped matters in Vancouver this year, didn't they?

Anyway, if someone wants to go out and take people with him, guns are relatively inefficient. Fertilizer bombs strapped to the perps body would work better. A small bundle can wipe out 500 sq ft, a few liters .......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a little more involved than just fertilizer. Yo must first have a detonator with more power than your average blasting cap. Except in Hollywood.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I understand your point but, the certain guns that we ar probably referring to
are made for killing humans, and bought for that purpose, none of the power
tools, or vehicles are sold 'for' that purpose.
A person could be killed with a kitchen utensil, but they are not sold for that
purpose, nor are bricks, or boulders, but 'those' guns are.

Well, actualy, almost all firearm designs have their roots the desire to kill "humans". They come from military designs, either for defense or aggression. We can't stop criminals from buying or using them, that geenie is out of the bottle, the best we can do is use them to defend ourselves against thses criminals, disarming law abiding citizens only creates more potential victims. Anything can be used as a weapon, and when faced with a twenty something crackhead armed with a brick or kithchen utensil, a sixty something has little chance unless armed. But again, a firearm is as useful as a brick unless the person is trained in its use.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a little more involved than just fertilizer. Yo must first have a detonator with more power than your average blasting cap. Except in Hollywood.

You'ld be surprised, I know I sure was.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It isn't me in a nut shell. I'm not anti gun. I'm anti stupid people, with guns.

An ATV or PWC, doesn't have the ability to dispatch with human life on mass, click, click locked and loaded, to do it all again.

There is no need for any civilian to posses an automatic weapon. They are solely for dispatching human life, with great prejudice. I see sidearms in a similar light. Similar, not the same.
If you got with 20 feet of the door of the gun club not 20 minutes from here, you'ld already be on camera and the police would already be well on their way. Gun clubs are legislated to death for security. And rightly so.

btw...My friend was arrested for walking out of the local Canadian Tire, with the folder they write the names and license numbers in, when you purchase ammunition. We went in to purchase ammo. He filled out the page as required and the young lady put it back under the counter where it came from. We asked if that was where they always kept it, she said yes. We protested and she baulked at us. So, we waited until she was attending another customer. My buddy reached over the counter, scooped up the binder and tucked it in his jacket. We calmly walked out, turned around and walked back in. Asked for the manager, explained what we had just done and he promptly called the police.

He dropped the charges before the officer could finish taking my buddies info down, right after I explained to him, my cell phone was ring, and the call was to the Toronto Sun.

If a criminal wants to find out where the guns are, they will.

I'm Ex Army, an Ex Con and still Native, I can easily obtain illegal firearms on a whim. Most of what I've seen and have access to, have been legally purchased in the States, and snuggled here. Theft is a low contributor for the weapons issues we face in Canada.

Look, I'm not talking about banning weapons willy nilly here. I fully support the right to bear arms. But certain firearms are well outside the relm of appropriate civilian possesion. Like semi auto shotguns, they have no place in civilian life.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You'ld be surprised, I know I sure was.
I'll second that...

Anyone want a recipe for homemade napalm? Explosives?

It's not hard, the components are easy to obtain. And as simple as a trip to the local hobby shop.

Model rocket detonators are awesome at remotely igniting homemade explosives.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
If the weapon was made here In Canada,perhaps I'd be interested in having one..nothing too fancy, just a nice doublebarrel shotgun in a 16 gauge.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Add a heat source. Another thing to do is to get a cop to shoot at you and hit one of the containers strapped to you. It isn't brain surgery.