How to stop the spread of fundamentalism?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: How to stop the sprea

Actually out laws are based on British Common Law. British Common Law has its roots in a mixture of Roman and pre-Christian British culture. The Judeo-Christian influence is really relegated only to the language used, not the concepts enforced.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
If you look at our basic laws, they are mostly all laws that have evolved from the original ten commandments. This is not a religious statement, just an observation that holds a lot of merit and has a lot of support. I suspect the British Common Law aspect also has evolved the same way.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Our laws developed from British common law which was based on Roman law and pre-Christian ideas. The claim that our laws developed from the Ten Commandments is erroneous.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
If you look at our basic laws, they are mostly all laws that have evolved from the original ten commandments. This is not a religious statement, just an observation that holds a lot of merit and has a lot of support. I suspect the British Common Law aspect also has evolved the same way.

The Ten commandments, although origionated with the Judeo Christian religions, are basically using common sense.

You don't have to be a Christian to know that Adultery, Stealing, or murder never have positive results. You can follow along the list and find that the most pagan, or hunter gatherer societies would attuibute many of the same philosophies to thier daily lives.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Jo Canadian said:

The Ten commandments, although origionated with the Judeo Christian religions, are basically using common sense.

You don't have to be a Christian to know that Adultery, Stealing, or murder never have positive results. You can follow along the list and find that the most pagan, or hunter gatherer societies would attuibute many of the same philosophies to thier daily lives.

Jo Canadian (HMMM...intitials are JC. Coincidence? LOL)-

I agree with you and you have basically made my point, albeit in a different manner. The Ten commandments are basic common sense, and when you look at our laws, especially the basic ones you have mentioned, they follow the same lines. Some of the others such as respect for your parents/elders, etc., while not formal laws, are part of the basic tenents of society. Therefore, it could be said with some certainty that our laws have evolved from the commandments, again, not due to religious reasons, but as you said, common sense reasons. And in the end, is it a bad thing to have the commandments as the basis for societal law? I would argue not, again using the common sense reason.

SirKevin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2005
Toronto
bluealberta said:

The only parts of the 10 commandments that are applied to Canadian law are the ones that are societally benefical -- not murdering and not stealing are logical steps to establishing order in society. Not committing adultery and worshipping false Gods has nothing at all to do with society and are thus not part of law.

I highly highly doubt that anyone sat down and read the 10 commandments when they were formulating the basic laws for our country.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
SirKevin said:
bluealberta said:

The only parts of the 10 commandments that are applied to Canadian law are the ones that are societally benefical -- not murdering and not stealing are logical steps to establishing order in society. Not committing adultery and worshipping false Gods has nothing at all to do with society and are thus not part of law.

I highly highly doubt that anyone sat down and read the 10 commandments when they were formulating the basic laws for our country.

Sir: As I said, only some commandements form part of our laws, others form part of how we may choose or choose not to act. I would argue your statement about adultery, though. It is not a formal law, but it can and does have a huge impact on society, and has lead to one of the formal laws, murder.

Whether or not someone read the commandments way back in 1867 cannot be known, but I suspect that everyone involved had some knowledge of them. I would suspect that the laws for our country were made based on both the English and United States laws at the time. A lot of people in Canada at that time were from both countries, and religion was certainly a bigger part of society back then than it is now, so there were probably elements from many sources used in crafting our laws.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Well, I've just had a quick recap of the 10 commandments, as I couldn't recall them (Christ, it seems I may even have broken a few of them - shoot, there I go again). From what I can gather only one of them -stealing - is actually illegal, maybe two at a push, since bearing false witness against thy neighbour may occassionally land you in court.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
well, you'd right. But it begs the question why do you spend all that money on a military budget? And don't your police carry guns, too? I mean, I know you Canadians are generally peacable, but are your soldiers going defend themselves by tossing pancakes at the enemy?

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
Canadian law is not based on the Bible. Sorry for all you Christians out there.

Hear, Hear. Just like many of the values that Christians espouse. Many of them are admirable - I share some of them myself - but they don't originate with the bible.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: How to stop the spread of fundamentalism?

Hard-Luck Henry said:
well, you'd right. But it begs the question why do you spend all that money on a military budget? And don't your police carry guns, too? I mean, I know you Canadians are generally peacable, but are your soldiers going defend themselves by tossing pancakes at the enemy?

What money on what military? Our military commitment is a joke. Your pancake comment would be funny if it wasn't almost true. I also thought I made it clear that the law/commandments issue was not a religous issue, so why the Christian comment had to come is too bad. Real slow now: The commandments are based on common sense, and if our laws evolved from a common sense approach, then so be it, it is not a religious issue.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Since our laws are based on things that pre-date Christianity and cultures that adopted, did not create, Christianity, why do you insists on mentioning Chuck Heston's little list at all, Blue?

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

bluealberta said:
Real slow now: The commandments are based on common sense, and if our laws evolved from a common sense approach, then so be it, it is not a religious issue.

How be we take it even slower than that...

You were the one that claimed that our system of laws is based on the Judeo-Christian religion...just because that claim is false, we are now supposed to forget that you made it?

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005

bluealberta said:
What money on what military? Our military commitment is a joke. Your pancake comment would be funny if it wasn't almost true. I also thought I made it clear that the law/commandments issue was not a religous issue, so why the Christian comment had to come is too bad. Real slow now: The commandments are based on common sense, and if our laws evolved from a common sense approach, then so be it, it is not a religious issue.

Apologies for my slow response, blue. I'm not really slow, just disinterested. Common sense is a good place for law to evolve from, and you're right, a lot of it does. You're right, also, to point out that those commandments, by definition divine, are based on common sense. Common sense tells me that I shouldn't kill, for instance. God obviously has some common sense. It's a pity he's 'chosen' not to pass it on to some of his followers.

On a bit of a tangent here, but law was invented by the Sumerians - so far as written records show, at least (another tangent, they invented writing, too :wink: ). Murder was against the law in ancient Babylon. That's in modern day ... oh, never mind ...

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

Hard-Luck Henry said:
bluealberta said:

Apologies for my slow response, blue. I'm not really slow, just disinterested. Common sense is a good place for law to evolve from, and you're right, a lot of it does. You're right, also, to point out that those commandments, by definition divine, are based on common sense. Common sense tells me that I shouldn't kill, for instance. God obviously has some common sense. It's a pity he's 'chosen' not to pass it on to some of his followers.

On a bit of a tangent here, but law was invented by the Sumerians - so far as written records show, at least (another tangent, they invented writing, too :wink: ). Murder was against the law in ancient Babylon. That's in modern day ... oh, never mind ...

I get you, and thanks for your comments. It is too bad we can't mention anything that even resembles religion, like this post was about, without the extreme left in this country going beserk. I have said on many posts that I am fairy agnostic, and quite frankly, think of the Bible as a sort of history book, maybe fiction, maybe not, but interesting nevertheless. Let common sense prevail!