How to stop the spread of fundamentalism?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: How to stop the spread of fundamentalism?

LadyC said:
No... I'm from the coast... I live about 45 minutes from Vancouver.

And thanks, Blue. My weekend was great. My son got 2 golds, a bronze and 3 4th place ribbons for a 4th overall. His marks were his best all season, so he was pleased.

THey even remembered to wish me a happy mother's day. ;)

Good for him, and this just goes to prove that Albertans and BCites (is that correct? :wink: ) can get along. I've had to listen to the Rev all weekend, so I think I wil take a break from his nattering now and read some other posts.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Thats great to hear Lady C sorry about the weather though it wasn't that warm maybe next time will get the chance to have that coffee :wink:

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
I think the meet is the same weekend every year. It's a highlight, as it's a fun weekend getaway... the first road trip for the littler boys.

The weather was actually better than I expected. ;)

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: stop the spread of fundamentalism - shine a light on it

quote: "The increasing politicization of religion worries me, but I'm out of ideas."

K - Shine some light on it, and it will disapear

I like the idea of public awareness programs, and as a part of social-studies classes. There would simply be an outline of the various "factions" involved, with each of their platforms or agendas. That would "shine the light on them", and allow opinions to form.

As it is now, we have the situation where nothing is said, nothing is done, and it is allowed to fester and grow like a bad mould. Religious Groups grow and serve to divide Canadians amongst themselves.
Islam Vs Christian Vs Sikh Vs Hindu Vs athiests, etc etc., is a potential battle that is fed by questions like "what religion are you", a socially-acceptable standard of belonging to one of the primary religious groups. Its just so wrong, and smell of conspiracy.

The alternative that would be offered is this :
RELIGION IS A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, AND IT IS NOT ELEVATED WHATSOEVER BY RELIGIOUS GROUPS. ITS A PERSONAL MATTER AND MUST REMAIN WITHIN THE PERSON.

Is that too restrictive? In the face of WW3, religious wars, it would seem appropriate to dis-allow "public" religion. The groups can exist, but not practise publicly or recruit. Treat them like they are the KKK or any other cult who is not allowed to openly recruit.

Its time to tell religion that being "organised" actually distracts from relationships with god, that we have figured out religion is used for alterior purposes, fired with the maniacal devotion that only "faith in the unseen" can inspire, a willingness to give yourself to a belief tha is lacking when only reality is considered.

Karlin