How to debate: A person of faiths struggle - please, PLEASE, people of faith only....

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Sanctus, when you are having a conversation with anyone, do you never deviate from its original topic? When people are talking and discussing something, there always come up additional ideas, that can have very little connection with what was originally discussed. It's the way the human mind works - one idea brings out another, and so on. The same is on a forum.

There are some people on here whose sole function in religious threads is to disrupt, attack and insult Christians. they are not discussing anything, they are just looking for material for their evil.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Well...okay...NOW we are getting off topic. BUT...um....first of all, marriage is not confined just to christianity...and second of all, people can get married by the state. Second of all, as I have expressed before, the ways of the catholic church have been to brand gays as sinners...and sinners are baddddd. I believe that Pope John Paul even used the term "evil". So, people who are gay, are not supposed to be gay...it's bad...and they are going to hell...and that is your BELIEF...and it is a belief that messes with peoples heads, has caused division in families, has crumbled the self esteem of gay individuals which leads to all sorts of issues, and has caused great strife in our communities and nations. So, the Catholic church has done a wonderful job of alienating and be condiscending to gay folks as a whole. It's most unfortunate. HOWEVER...in your statments, I am pleased to see that you would see a same sex couple as a suitable set of parents...although, not your first choice. t.

You want the church to cater to immorality, that's the bottom line. my suggestion is easy, if you don't care for the teachings of the church, don't come out for Mass. Lots of protestant cults you can go to instead. So what if we alienate people? That is not true anyway, what we alienate are people who refuse to accept the teachings of the Church, and instead ant the church to conform itself to secular-humanist clap-trap.

And as Maple, I think, once pointed out, and I thought it very wise, all this discussion is useless as without a doubt the Holy Roman Catholic Church is not going to change it's teachings on homosexuality anytime soon.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive, because your words become your behavior.
Keep your behavior positive, because your behavior becomes your habits.
Keep your habits positive, because your habits become your values.
Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny. - Mahatma Gandhi

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Very few prepositions have clear cut interpretations such that everyone will agree on the actual topic. Furthermore, very few debates in public forums ever clearly lay down a preposition to be debated. It is only natural that conversations will stray from the direction which one individual thought it was travelling on, no one individual can truly lay ownership to a conversation either.

So, that is maybe a far too complicated way of saying that it is not easy to judge what "on topic" really means. Certainly 'there be trolls in the waters, mate', but also some of the most intrusive laws into personal freedoms can be traced to religious beliefs on how to "save one's soul". This is exceptionally aggravating for people who don't believe the same thing. To say that these people have no right to be angry is absurd. We are humans and anger is part of our condition. Gays and supporters of gay rights have every right to be angry at those religions which label them as sinners or evil. They have every right to be intolerant of passive agressive churches that show their bigotry subtly through their refusal to marry couples of alternative lifestyles. It is not an ad hominen fallacy to attack a bigot, or a bigotted belief for that matter, for being a bigot.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think in a disscussion when someone is pointed at as being wrong, or evil even indirectly puts up a defensive barrier. Natural reaction is to hit back its human nature.
If we wiegh are words like "in my opinoin" or " i believe" instead of "this is".
We naturally don't like to be quarintined or better word "judge".
Guide lines are needed to keep the civil, civil. The rest we can't really change.
People don't like to be preached to, that should be taken into account.
When someone says that they "feel" this or that we should have the civility to aknoledge that at least.
Some of the post here should be looked at again.
It should be expressed that a subject is off hand or far astray. Little reminders now and then.
my two cents for what is worth

Reactions: Libra Girl

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Churchwise, I'd say whatever makes their bum hum is fine with me. If they don't mind hitching gays, fine, if they do mind, no-one should make them perform the ceremonies.
Your right...they should also be free to not marry interracial couples, blacks, hispanics, you name it...if they want to discriminate, then HECK, let them go nuts! Everyone else has to be held accountable...but not them...because they are in the CHURCH...so, they are protected..their bigotry and hatred is protected....how does this happen???