How to debate: A person of faiths struggle - please, PLEASE, people of faith only....

shady01

Feb 25, 2007
A little bit of decency and respect from everyone would go a long way. And as far as those who aren't capable of adding to a debate/discussion, then it's easy to ignore them. I think nobody is really interested in ignoring anyone though as it's clear that both sides want to hear both the challenges to Christianity and the efforts of Westmanguy and others to exhibit their faith. I know that if I was truly offended by the remarks of those who just want to insult others I would just not take part.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
sanctus:

Yes I understand, threads could get side tracted easily. A good thread is when the group are really trying to discuss a specific topic and it stays on that topic to the end. There are really skilled people out there who's profession is debating and can place the debate back on track. In my case I would say I shake the sand from my sandles a little later than others I guess, but in the early years I wasn't this way. It's a personal choice.

An excellent forum is the Catholic Community Forum, where many members are clergy, and new members subtley evolve. There is a strict channeling if you will of new people. Nonsense is tolerated, but the number of "bumps" the moderator enacts usually set the person straight or they leave. I recall many members who were considered borderline and writeoffs who are now wholeheartedly devout and knowledgable. This forum in my view is really a Christian forum from a secular viewpoint, CCF is strictly Catholic and it's moderation has an end that ensures it stays that way in respect and context. It has a more close knit community and the personalities there are well known to each other and most are veterans. I've been in since 2004. Catholic Answers is a good forum but a little more undisciplined than CCF, but still does a good job of monitoring. I feel it gets a lot more "strays" due to the laxer policy.

Once I thought that becoming a member of a Jewish forum would be interesting. I thought my opening post a query concerning the Septuagint and the Torah would set me up as a bonafide member. Not. It gave me away as a Christian in some way I've yet to figure out. So this "Righteous Gentile" in their midst was promptly sentenced to being ignored. :) Very strict code them Jews have, yessir.! But at least they're not aggressive.

AndyF

Last edited:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I like to vote for Libragirl as the voice of reason , and a peace maker.
I agree with her 100% She put into words and in a way that I could not.
The voice of serenity......:angel8: Libra Girl :angel8:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I assume I am part of your discomfort, and as such, I will withdraw from this forum in order to avoid causing you any more upset.

I sense a bit of "sarcasm" behind your statement of nobility, and I suggest noone wants you to leave,
just find a way to "better" communicate. If you were more understanding about opposing opinions,
you would probably get more understanding responses.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yes, I entirely agree darkbeaver, and I would never surrender my ideals to anyone. However, I never belabor a point. I don't like to rock the boat too drastically; that would defeat the object, which is to try to stop the divide widening. Also, I would hate for anyone to leave on my account. It's entirely unecessary, and deep down, marygaspe knows that. :wave:

I understand you, I have taken many libertys and belabored points too much perhaps. But I'm approachable, a rock is not.:wave:

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
A little bit of decency and respect from everyone would go a long way. And as far as those who aren't capable of adding to a debate/discussion, then it's easy to ignore them. I think nobody is really interested in ignoring anyone though as it's clear that both sides want to hear both the challenges to Christianity and the efforts of Westmanguy and others to exhibit their faith. I know that if I was truly offended by the remarks of those who just want to insult others I would just not take part.

And you turn the other cheek when it comes to yourself offending others including me:

FYI people: This poster state I had no purpose in my life because I watched The View and started a thread on a subject that I came intriqued about from watching it.

So he doesn't know me, and I say I watched a TV show, and he is quick to pull the gun to judge me.

Treat others the way you want to be treated shady, you plan on offending others, then don't be so shocked when your "offended"

I will let you respond, then plan to most likely add you to my ignore list.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Interesting thoughts guys.

Thank you for all the constructive opinions, with the exclusion of 1 or 2.

I have added 3-4 people to my ignore list in my ControlPanel, so I will never be tempted to reply to people I think are "hurters"

people like, gc, sparrow, L. Gilbert, and others, that are rational people on the other side of the fence I respect and like to debate with.

But I think all of us rational people on both sides need to unite and learn to ignore and stray away from posts that are insulting, hurtful, and off-topic, in any type of debate.

Thanks to everyone.

And in my emotional defenses in religious threads, if I hurt anyone, I am deeply sorry, and need to learn to debate with a clear head.

but whats the point? where does it get us to argue and argue about the same thing? i just figure it isnt worth it cos no matter what im still where i am, know what i mean. anyway. ive headed over to a different forum that is small but brand new so its kinda cool. ive been spending allot of time on it last few days..not many posts but no religious wars...yet:)

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Of course I heartily forgive you sanctus... it is not in my nature to do otherwise. However, I do think that you underestimate your influence; Catholic people do look up to you, as is only right. Please do something to alleviate the hatred, that is coming from both sides. :wave:

sorry to disagree fr c., but shes 100% right. you may not think so, but i for one take allot of my cues from you. i mean, youre the frickin' priest!:) so if were catholic were gonna listen to your pov.....yup.shes so right.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Dexter Sinister said:
If there were an Atheist Discussion forum under Spirituality and Philosophy (interesting that there isn't, don't you think?)

And how would these disparate elements of atheism and spiritualism reconcile with each other.? Did we after all this time fail to address the Atheist's believe in Spirituality? MMMmmm, and wouldn't Atheistic Spiritualism be an oxymoron? Perhaps I misunderstood.?

Sounds like material for a new thread. I'm intrigued already.

AndyF

snfu73

disturber of the peace
What the??? Dude...this is a public forum. If you don't want people discussing your religion, question things, etc, the best thing to do is just not post in a public forum...plain and simple. The main problem with several people just seems that they don't like anything to be questioned. Well...quess what, people do question. And people do have issues with aspects of MANY religions, including the catholic faith. If you want to just avoid anyone and everyone who doesn't say "this religion ROCKS!", then you may as well not be in these public forums...because not everyone IS going to agree with you, and many people have some pretty harsh feelings towards religion as a whole.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
What the??? Dude...this is a public forum. If you don't want people discussing your religion, question things, etc, the best thing to do is just not post in a public forum...plain and simple. The main problem with several people just seems that they don't like anything to be questioned. Well...quess what, people do question. And people do have issues with aspects of MANY religions, including the catholic faith. If you want to just avoid anyone and everyone who doesn't say "this religion ROCKS!", then you may as well not be in these public forums...because not everyone IS going to agree with you, and many people have some pretty harsh feelings towards religion as a whole.

Exactly. And when you've been previously abused by religion, and I know some here have, it's very difficult to get over those feelings of anger and hatred when you're being called "evil" and anti-church all the time. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't take the heat then get out.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ok, am I missing a connection between mapleleafgirl and sanctus.

Is Sanctus f c and mapleleafgirl is a person who attends his church?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Wrong. What we strongly obect to is having threads hijacked with posts that have nothing to do with the topic. For example, if a topic was about Trudeau, one would hardly expect you to jump in to talk about McDonald. If a post is about the Blessed Virgin, it would be odd to see a post attacking the Catholic view on homosexual behaviour.The point is, join in any Christian thread you want, but do try and stay on topic.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Wrong. What we strongly obect to is having threads hijacked with posts that have nothing to do with the topic. For example, if a topic was about Trudeau, one would hardly expect you to jump in to talk about McDonald. If a post is about the Blessed Virgin, it would be odd to see a post attacking the Catholic view on homosexual behaviour.The point is, join in any Christian thread you want, but do try and stay on topic.
BS. I don't believe I have posted anything that didn't fit. To YOU they may not have fit...to me they did. Again...public forums...I brought in my thoughts and opinions. If you have a problem with that, don't start public threads.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
BS. I don't believe I have posted anything that didn't fit. To YOU they may not have fit...to me they did. Again...public forums...I brought in my thoughts and opinions. If you have a problem with that, don't start public threads.

Of course, whatever suits you. Heavan forbid that we deny you your right to spread more bigotry and erroneous nonsense.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Its a public forum, but we expect people to stay on topic.

And I have seen it multiple times, what sanctus is saying.

Someone starts a thread on the Saints of the church, or the Pope, and people twist it into an atheist statement.

Say someone wanted to discuss how Mary, mother of Jesus was important to our belief, than an atheist jumps in and makes a comment like, Mary could not have possibly have had a virgin birth.

So we want to discuss Mary's importance to the church, and a person jumps in and say Jesus couldn't have been born to a virgin mother.

That is off-topic in my eyes... and that type of example happens ALOT.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, I certainly can understand the religious followers exhasperation in some of the threads. I know personally I see many atheists constantly bemoaning religious followerers for not being as loving or tolerant as their particular brand of religion espouses to be, calls them hypocrits or what have you, constantly trying to show them how they're beliefs are flawed. I know when I left the faith I certainly took that aspect with me (the tolerance and respect).

Even on a Christian forum I visit they don't even do that to me, they say all the time they'd rather talk with a thoughtful atheist than a hard-lined Christian, and for me the flip side of that statement is also true.

I do get into it when they try to use scripture in a way I think is sub-par on the human rights and in those cases I sometimes use their scripture, but besides that I try my best to avoid language which could be construed as condescending or patronizing.

They have their beliefs which won't be swayed. Atheists have their own as well. I would also find it trying if my belief was constantly being attacked.

I've forgiven people who've wronged me in the past, all except for one person. I don't hold what that person did against anyone else. I know it's hard for some people to change these things when they've been subject to pain and suffering, but we're really better people to try to judge a person on their character and actions, not their affiliations.

Different strokes for different folks, best to use some respect which I consider part of my Atheistic doctrine.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Hey, dude, your the one who follows a leader who says homosexuality is evil. And you expect, with that kinda bigoted crap, for people to be all happy and rosy when you come along saying how great your religion is?? Dude, the problem seems to be that I have expressed opinions that you don't agree with and do not like. That seems to be a big issue with you. Sorry I didn't just bow down and say "You are so right with your deep bible quotes, oh Sanctus!". Instead I came along and said "Hey, why is the religion you follow being so horrible towards the GLBT community? Don't you think that is something that should be questioned?". I have expressed that I don't have alot of respect for the religion because of this. I have expressed that I do not believe a religion that would preach that kinda crap is a religion that interests me. And those are my thoughts...and they are valid. If you have a problem with me expressing my thoughts, which you seem to think are bigoted, for the simple action of questioning, and expressing my displeasure, then tooooo frickin' bad dude. Again, stay out of public forums...they don't sound like your cup of tea. Not everyone is going to agree with you. Not everyone is going to bow to you. Not everyone believes what you believe. Sorry if that bothers you so....welcome to reality.