How Many People Can The Earth Support?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You mad bro?

Ok, since you're a supporter of the Catholic school system, I'm not surprised I have to explain this...

$71/month=$852/year, $71+$5=$76/month=$912/year

An admitted cost of $2000/year for family of 5.

Hmmm, I wonder where the short fall will come from?

Oh ya, property taxes, and state taxes.

lol, you should have stayed "done".

:roll:

so painfully obvious when you are talking to an ex grunt. Never have had to think for themselves.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah, it's looks good until you get to the part where it mentions 2 grand a year for a family of 5............what %age of families can afford that? Food is a struggle for lots of families today.

Where did you get two grand a year for a family of five from?

Earth has 326 million trillion gallons of water (and always does; it never gets less or more) and there are many ways to turn seawater into drinking water cheaply.

20% of the water consumed in Israeli houses comes from the world's largest modern seawater desalination plant, situated on a Mediterranean beach 10 miles south of Tel Aviv.

The new plant, called Sorek, was finished in late 2013 but is just now ramping up to its full capacity; it will produce 627,000 cubic meters of water daily, providing evidence that such large desalination facilities are practical. Indeed, desalinated seawater is now a mainstay of the Israeli water supply. Whereas in 2004 the country relied entirely on groundwater and rain, it now has four seawater desalination plants running; Sorek is the largest. Those plants account for 40 percent of Israel’s water supply. By 2016, when additional plants will be running, some 50 percent of the country’s water is expected to come from desalination.

The traditional criticism of reverse-osmosis technology is that it costs too much. The process uses a great deal of energy to force salt water against polymer membranes that have pores small enough to let fresh water through while holding salt ions back. However, Sorek will profitably sell water to the Israeli water authority for 58 U.S. cents per cubic meter (1,000 liters, or about what one person in Israel uses per week), which is a lower price than today’s conventional desalination plants can manage. What’s more, its energy consumption is among the lowest in the world for large-scale desalination plants.

The Sorek plant incorporates a number of engineering improvements that make it more efficient than previous RO facilities. It is the first large desalination plant to use pressure tubes that are 16 inches in diameter rather than eight inches. The payoff is that it needs only a fourth as much piping and other hardware, slashing costs. The plant also has highly efficient pumps and energy recovery devices. “This is indeed the cheapest water from seawater desalination produced in the world,” says Raphael Semiat, a chemical engineer and desalination expert at the Israel Institute of Technology, or Technion, in Haifa. “We don’t have to fight over water, like we did in the past.” Australia, Singapore, and several countries in the Persian Gulf are already heavy users of seawater desalination, and California is also starting to embrace the technology (see “Desalination Out of Desperation”). Smaller-scale RO technologies that are energy-efficient and relatively cheap could also be deployed widely in regions with particularly acute water problems—even far from the sea, where brackish underground water could be tapped.

Cheap Water from the World's Largest Modern Seawater Desalination Plant | MIT Technology Review

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Where did you get two grand a year for a family of five from?

San Jose Mercury News - " Desalinated water typically costs about $2,000 an acre foot -- roughly the amount of water a family of five uses in a year"

Israel has oil to subsidize it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Never have had to think for themselves.
I always laugh when a Catholic says that to me, lol.

Desalination is still extremely difficult and costly.

20% of the water consumed in Israeli houses comes from the world's largest modern seawater desalination plant, situated on a Mediterranean beach 10 miles south of Tel Aviv.
35% actually.

And is heavily subsidized by the Israeli govt.

Both you and Gh seem to have this notion that it's a cheap, simple process, with no by-products.

It isn't.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I always laugh when a Catholic says that to me, lol.

That's because you can not comprehend the idea of individual thought.

35% actually.

And is heavily subsidized by the Israeli govt.

Both you and Gh seem to have this notion that's a simple cheap, simple process, with no by-products.

It isn't.

Where did I say that?

Never said it was a "simple process" as there is more than one process. Some are more expensive than others. Like everything else, one way may not work for everyone.

My use of "cheap", is again relative. I don't find the cost burden that San Diego is projecting to be overly expensive considering how important water is to our daily lives. The fact that it is heavily subsidized by the government does not change the cost. The people either pay direct, or pay through their taxes. At least when it is through their taxes, those that would have problems paying direct don't have to worry about not getting the water they need. (that would be people like that poor poor sot that you know that can't afford a pot to piss in.)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's because you can not comprehend the idea of individual thought.
It's because I know how your group think works, lol.

Where did I say that?
If you don't believe that, than why are you arguing with me? That's all I have said on the subject.

Like everything else, one way may not work for everyone.
I said the exact same thing.

The only place we seemed to deviate was on viability. You say it like it's viable everywhere. It isn't so I said viability was subjective. You lost your sh!t, threw a fit and still look silly.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
Whose gawd? There are about 5000 religions in the world to pick from.

God the Creator, Almighty, Most Gracious, Lord of all nations.

Who is called Yahweh in Hebrew, Allah in Arabic, God in English, Khodah in Persian, the Great Spirit by Red Indians, etc.

The religion of the 'exclusive devotion to God alone without associate, or partner or equal or peer or son or daughter or assistant.'
This is God's religion, which is the religion of His prophets, and specially Prophet Abraham, who was before Judaism and Christianity, and was against the idolatry.

Quran Man after Death

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
God the Creator, Almighty, Most Gracious, Lord of nations.
The religion of the 'exclusive devotion to God alone without associate, or partner or equal or peer or son or daughter or assistant.'
This is God's religion, which is the religion of His prophets, and specially Prophet Abraham, who was before Judaism and Christianity, and was against the idolatry.

Quran Man after Death

fu ck off

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
We have RO in the plant where I work. Works great; brings the dissolved solids down from 270ppm in the supply water to 1 or 2ppm in the product. About 25% of the volume goes to waste as concentrate. But chlorine eats RO membrane so it really ought to be added afterward, but our supply is town water, so.. a chemical, sodium meta-something-or-other-or-other, has to be added past the pre-filter to neutralize the chlorine, but that lowers the PH, which below 7 isn't the best for boiler water, and so sodium hydroxide is trickled in to bring the PH up to a more useful 8 to 9 range. The process pump is 3-phase and pushes the water through the membrane at 270 psi delivering product at 30 gpm. And though it may not require a dedicated operator 24/7, it certainly should be monitored a couple times daily.

Yeah, there's an expense to it, and anyone with a job can certainly afford it - now if we can just find jobs for 7 billion people!

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What about the war, commies, despots, debutates, fanatics,savages and the Botswanan plot?

Sudan is a perfect example. Until war came along they were a huge beef exporter. War came, the cattle vanished and so did the grasslands they grazed which relied on the dung to maintain a healthy soil. Now the soil is dust, they country split in 2 and millions ran to refugee camps.

How do you fix that with money from rich people?

A big example of that phenomenon was starvation in parts of India in the first half of the 1960s (for those of us old enough to remember that disaster) It wasn't caused so much by events in India but that they had been importing most of their rice from Indochina and pretty suddenly, a very hot war involving millions was going on and rice exports were suddenly interrupted.