How Many People Can The Earth Support?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Interesting about the Santa Barbara plant and how they closed it down after the crisis had passed. This process is significantly more costly than other options.
Not to mention dealing with the waste product.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not to mention dealing with the waste product.

Yes true but what struck me the most, and this is I think true of a lot of 'alternative methods' particularly that all the eco-conservationists continually going on about, and that is as good as we're getting with the technology it still isn't viable enough economically.

Now I'm not against conservation or being ecologically minded in how we do things, far, far from it. But not unlike Blackleafs "oh, just desalinate the ocean water" as if, just like that, it gets done without a problem. It's a superficial way of looking at things. For sure it's an alternative, no questions, but is it a viable alternative? Until I see where someone is really contemplating all the costs and risks involved, then I have to say no, at this point it isn't.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes true but what struck me the most, and this is I think true of a lot of 'alternative methods' particularly that all the eco-conservationists continually going on about, and that is as good as we're getting with the technology it still isn't viable enough economically.

Now I'm not against conservation or being ecologically minded in how we do things, far, far from it. But not unlike Blackleafs "oh, just desalinate the ocean water" as if, just like that, it gets done without a problem. It's a superficial way of looking at things. For sure it's an alternative, no questions, but is it a viable alternative? Until I see where someone is really contemplating all the costs and risks involved, then I have to say no, at this point it isn't.
That, in a nut shell is my biggest problem with the bulk of the eco-nutters nuttery.

It's a superficial way of looking at things.
Hence blandloaf's idiotic comment.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That, in a nut shell is my biggest problem with the bulk of the eco-nutters nuttery.

Yes I know, you probably do more for conservation personally than all the Waldos of the internet combined, lol.

It also, not unlike politics, detracts from the conversation. Because, just like politics, you've got extremist idiocy at both ends of the spectrum, who excel at being loud, obnoxious and disruptive.

And being 'green' is also trendy. Which is not a bad thing for green, it's just that a lot of people treat it superficially.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

at 2000 dollars per family of five, per year......... that really isn't out to lunch.

as for whether or not it is a viable alternative....... maybe you should let Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the more than a dozen other countries that run desalination plants know that it isn't viable.

Is it viable? Yes. That's been proven. Is it cheap? No, but it isn't outside the economically viable. When there are no other alternatives, it becomes cheap at twice the price.

It also, not unlike politics, detracts from the conversation. Because, just like politics, you've got extremist idiocy at both ends of the spectrum, who excel at being loud, obnoxious and disruptive.

ROFLMFAO..... you are such a comedian this morning.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
at 2000 dollars per family of five, per year......... that really isn't out to lunch.
Until it's you paying for it, and for those that live off the govt teat.

as for whether or not it is a viable alternative....... maybe you should let Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the more than a dozen other countries that run desalination plants know that it isn't viable.
Coastal areas, with low energy and labour costs.

Is it viable? Yes. That's been proven. Is it cheap? No, but it isn't outside the economically viable. When there are no other alternatives, it becomes cheap at twice the price.
It's still extremely difficult and expensive.

Viability can be subjective.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yes I know, you probably do more for conservation personally than all the Waldos of the internet combined, lol.

And being 'green' is also trendy. Which is not a bad thing for green, it's just that a lot of people treat it superficially.
A lot of people seem to be good at talking the talk and preaching on the internet, posting articles, starting threads etc.. but what do they do in real life....probably what I saw on my walk this morning with the dog, with a bag in my hand, knowing there was a trash can just around the corner...
What do I see about 10 feet from the trash can?.....an empty Tim Horton cup.....:roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Until it's you paying for it, and for those that live off the govt teat.

less than 200/per year for a family of five. cheap.

Coastal areas, with low energy and labour costs.

No shyte Sherlock. Desalination plants in coastal areas, who woulda thunk. :roll:

btw, I don't think the U.S., Australia, the U.K, or France, to name a few, would be in the "low labour cost" category.

It's still extremely difficult and expensive.

Viability can be subjective.

ROFLMAO....... viability is ALWAYS "subjective". Another Sherlock moment.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
A lot of people seem to be good at talking the talk and preaching on the internet, posting articles, starting threads etc.. but what do they do in real life....probably what I saw on my walk this morning with the dog, with a bag in my hand, knowing there was a trash can just around the corner...
What do I see about 10 feet from the trash can?.....an empty Tim Horton cup.....:roll:
Every spring we pick up at least 2 dozen Timmies cups in the wooded area we hunt. Along with buckets of dog crap.

Funny, after posting a sign on the main gate about our annual clean up get together, the only people to show up, are hunter.

less than 200/per year for a family of five. cheap.
$2000/year/USD. Not cheap.

No shyte Sherlock. Desalination plants in coastal areas, who woulda thunk. :roll:
You can ignore inland needs all you want, in a failed attempt to look smart. But it fails you.

btw, I don't think the U.S., Australia, the U.K, or France, to name a few, would be in the "low labour cost" category.
You didn't mention them. I addressed the ones you mentioned. And the ones you mention now, are the reason why it's extremely expensive in the west.

ROFLMAO....... viability is ALWAYS "subjective". Another Sherlock moment.
That's not what you were pushing a minute ago.

Maybe you should calm down, you're looking foolish.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Love Barbara Eden.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Poppycock. It's your posts which are dubious, matey.

Turning seawater into freshwater suitable for drinking is a fairly simple method which even many ancient civilisations, who didn't have the technology we have today, regularly did.

Yeah, it's looks good until you get to the part where it mentions 2 grand a year for a family of 5............what %age of families can afford that? Food is a struggle for lots of families today.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
$2000/year/USD. Not cheap.

sorry, mis print. Meant to say 200/month for a family of five....cheap.

You can ignore inland needs all you want, in a failed attempt to look smart. But it fails you.

I'm not ignoring squat. It is you that appears to be ignoring, or at least failing on the "attempt to look smart" front. Especially with the following statement.

You didn't mention them. I addressed the ones you mentioned. And the ones you mention now, are the reason why it's extremely expensive in the west.

Here's what I wrote, since you definitely are having comprehension or memory problems today.

btw, I don't think the U.S., Australia, the U.K, or France, to name a few, would be in the "low labour cost" category..

Notice I didn't limit anything. You limiting is not a surprise since not limiting your response would take away from the already puerile and uneducated responses. I'm thinking that it is you that should be watching that British education.

That's not what you were pushing a minute ago.

Maybe you should calm down, you're looking foolish.

Like I said, viability is always subjective, Sherlock. IMNSHO, it is viable. San Diego also feels it is viable. During the last severe drought, Santa Barbara found it viable.

The only one looking foolish, this time around, is you.

Yeah, it's looks good until you get to the part where it mentions 2 grand a year for a family of 5............what %age of families can afford that? Food is a struggle for lots of families today.

You tell me what percentage can't afford it when there is no other alternative. Would you say "screw you, I ain't payin that, my family can do without water"?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You tell me what percentage can't afford it when there is no other alternative. Would you say "screw you, I ain't payin that, my family can do without water"?

No, they'd just be going without some other necessity.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
sorry, mis print. Meant to say 200/month for a family of five....cheap.
Fail.

I'm not ignoring squat.
Yes you are, and you followed it up with a nice deflection, lol.

Here's what I wrote, since you definitely are having comprehension or memory problems today.
Most of which are arid areas not in the western hemisphere, et al.

Notice I didn't limit anything. You limiting is not a surprise since not limiting your response would take away from the already puerile and uneducated responses. I'm thinking that it is you that should be watching that British education.
Fail. You can't broad picture a process whose cost are dramatically different from region to region. Unless you're an idiot.

Like I said, viability is always subjective, Sherlock. IMNSHO, it is viable.
Zoooooom.

The only one looking foolish, this time around, is you.
You haven't proven my statement "Extremely difficult and costly" wrong.

You're arguing peripherals in a failed attempt to look knowledgeable, or you''re just as buggered as Blandloaf. Take your pick.

You tell me what percentage can't afford it when there is no other alternative.
My retired, on a fixed income neighbour.

It amazes me that the British can manage to operate a keyboard and not know how extremely difficult and expensive desalination is. Especially on a grand scale.
Here's my statement, my position as it were.

Feel free to explain how it's wrong.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Fail.

Yes you are, and you followed it up with a nice deflection, lol.

Most of which are arid areas not in the western hemisphere, et al.

Fail. You can't broad picture a process whose cost are dramatically different from region to region. Unless you're an idiot.

Zoooooom.

You haven't proven my statement "Extremely difficult and costly" wrong.

You're arguing peripherals in a failed attempt to look knowledgeable, or you''re just as buggered as Blandloaf. Take your pick.

My retired, on a fixed income neighbour.

Ya, I'm done.

As usual, you don't bring anything to the table.

as for your fixed income neighbour. He doesn't have to afford it as it is not required at this time. Bringing up present day examples for future problems or solutions is a perfect example of a red herring.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ya, I'm done.
You shouldn't have started, now you're just mad and look silly.

As usual, you don't bring anything to the table.
Says the guy making up arguments.

as for your fixed income neighbour. He doesn't have to afford it as it is not required at this time. Bringing up present day examples for future problems or solutions is a perfect example of a red herring.
So fixed income people won't exist in the future?

They don't exist in California right now?

ROTFLMAO!!!

Ya, you be done all right, lol.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So fixed income people won't exist in the future?

They don't exist in California right now?

ROTFLMAO!!!

Ya, you be done all right, lol.

Did you read the fu cking article I posted? Did you see what the cost to the homeowner was ? Didn't fu cking think so, Einstein.

" Nobody disputes that the cost of water will go up. According to Yamada, the average customer's bill, now $71 a month, will rise $5 to $7 to pay for desalination."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Did you read the fu cking article I posted? Did you see what the cost to the homeowner was ? Didn't fu cking think so, Einstein.
You mad bro?

" Nobody disputes that the cost of water will go up. According to Yamada, the average customer's bill, now $71 a month, will rise $5 to $7 to pay for desalination."
Ok, since you're a supporter of the Catholic school system, I'm not surprised I have to explain this...

$71/month=$852/year, $71+$5=$76/month=$912/year

An admitted cost of $2000/year for family of 5.

Hmmm, I wonder where the short fall will come from?

Oh ya, property taxes, and state taxes.

lol, you should have stayed "done".