How Iranians Treat Prisoners

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

sorry for the graininess. top left=glucose, top right aspartame, middle=saccharin, bottom left="sucralose" the sweetener in "splenda", bottom right=sucrose, or table sugar

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
my point was, mate, that the "fda approved" one is harmfull, actually, it kills....and the "fda forbidden" one doesnt, infact its proven to be beneficial, both to humans and the environment.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, knowing what you know hermann, about how many of these various chemicals affect the body, do you partake of artifical sweeteners?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
yes I do. partake in artificial sweeteners, but usually only if i can't get the real thing :0)

as for stretch's point (please dont call me mate). i'm sure stevia has its own hazards. the problem is until something is brought into mass use studies the size of those which are carried out on things like aspartame cannot occur.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
My diabetic father would be dead today if not for artificial sweeteners because he's too stubborn to give up his beloved Coca Cola... :)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
yes I do. partake in artificial sweeteners, but usually only if i can't get the real thing :0)

as for stretch's point (please dont call me mate). i'm sure stevia has its own hazards. the problem is until something is brought into mass use studies the size of those which are carried out on things like aspartame cannot occur.

actually, stevia is in mass use in Japan, making up 40% of their artificial sweetener market. Wiki has a neat entry on it. What I find most interesting, is how stevia is still a morphed glucose molecule. It's just a plant that morphs it, instead of a human. You'd probably find the article on there very interesting Hermann.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
steviol is attached to three or four glucose units. I suppose those units must be strongly bound to the steviol unit to avoid it being digestible (as it has "no calorific value"). Steviol vaguely resembles a steroid in structure

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
well some of the stuff you've said previously has made me come to the decision you're no friend of mine. At least this one might be true and isnt harmful to anyone.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
In 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) performed a thorough evaluation of recent experimental studies of stevia extracts conducted on animals and humans, and concluded that "stevioside and rebaudioside A are not genotoxic in vitro or in vivo and that the genotoxicity of steviol and some of its oxidative derivatives in vitro is not expressed in vivo."[6] The report also found no evidence of carcinogenic activity. The report also suggested the possibility of health benefits, in that "stevioside has shown some evidence of pharmacological effects in patients with hypertension or with type-2 diabetes"[6], but concluded that further study was required to determine proper dosage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steviol_glycoside

and it has them funny diagrams too, hermy

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
steviol is attached to three or four glucose units. I suppose those units must be strongly bound to the steviol unit to avoid it being digestible (as it has "no calorific value"). Steviol vaguely resembles a steroid in structure

Isn't that what they do to make Olestra the fat substitute? It passes thrugh undigested and sometimes to fast for certain people, that's why it says something like "can cause anal leakage" in the warning label.:-(

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
those results, they seem quite positive, but in vivo tests on other species are hard to translate to humans, and i'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "in vitro toxicity", since in vitro means in glass and glass doesnt often die of poisoning. I would suggest that maybe aspartame does have some adverse effects, but we wouldn't know about them if it hadnt been introduced as an artificial sweetener, and the same may or may not be true of stevia

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
well some of the stuff you've said previously has made me come to the decision you're no friend of mine. At least this one might be true and isnt harmful to anyone.

I have a differing opinion to you on somethings, and you judge me on that...bit like judging a book by its cover... ah well be a bloody boring place if we all agreed, eh mate? ;-)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it wasnt your opinion that did it. It was your telling this whole site that diabetes type1 is cureable by an unproven method, thus making it possible for someone to kill themselves by your advice.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
no I posted something that suggested that there may be an alternative...for people to look into, if they so desired.....if you miss took my intention, mate, then I'm sorry

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Awesome smackdown herman; stretch - you just might try being a little less credulous.

Also stretch - posting quotes about the news does not indicate that you know anything about either the news nor what those quotes actually mean. If they were used to illustrate a point in your argument, great - but by themselves, pretty much a naked appeal to authority, therefore worthless.

Pangloss

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
well.... I read the article... If I think its worth passing on, I do, if it isnt, I dont

you've heard the song, "It Dont Matter To Me" by Bread ?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
pangloss i should let you know it wasn't particularly intended as a smackdown, just an honest statement. I felt it (and to some extent other posts) was irresponsible, in that that kind of information can be dangerous, since many people are not as clever as those who come here (most of us)

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
I disowned it? I never "owned" it in the 1st place...just passed it on this is a forum..... NOUN:- A public meeting or assembly for open discussion.