Help enstate Tims Law (greyhound bus murder)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
How did you come up with this? I never saw anything like that at all.

I often wonder about the motivations of others that seek out the camera in an instance like this. I know that if it had been one of my kids murdered, you would have never heard me speak to the media. I'm not saying that she is trying to profit from his murder but I do have the feeling she is going to make a career out of it. She's entitled to though, if it helps her.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
...and your point would be? Not everyone with pneumonia dies. Not everyone with diabetes needs insulin injections. Schizophrenia is an illness . Illnesses can affect people in different ways and to different extents.

Because in a civilized society, we don't blame people for being sick.

My point is he should still have a criminal record, and still be held without a possible chance of release for at least the minimum someone would get for murder.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
My point is he should still have a criminal record, and still be held without a possible chance of release for at least the minimum someone would get for murder.

I understand what you point is. I'm saying that people living in the 21st century don't blame people because they are sick. If a patient throws up in hospital, do we make the patient clean it up...they are responsible for the vomit after all. Do you think cancer patients should be held accountable for the pain and suffering they cause their families by getting sick? Last year, I missed a very important meeting because I got held up by a serious car accident on Hwy 3. Some guy had an aneurysm and crossed the center line. Should I be allowed to sue him for the grief he caused me? Should we throw him in jail? He did kill 2 people and there is no guarantee we won't ever do it again.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why would a trial give them closure? They'd get to hear all the details over and over again, not to mention the ensuing media coverage. I don't see how that would be helpful. They would learn nothing new, but have to continue reliving it day after day in the public eye. They know what happened to their son. They know who did it. They know what our law deems as appropriate punishment for the mentally ill. That's all a trial could tell them.

I think it's appropriate btw. Someone who can't distinguish reality can't be criminally responsible for their actions.

I have seen psychiatrists deem some psychopath healthy, and two months later the "healthy" person goes out and re-0ffends. I don't believe anyone knows what was going on in Li's mind when he killed the young man. Li asked the mounties to kill him and that suggests to me that he knew he had done something wrong. Psychos can be very intelligent as well as being looney. He could have led the psychiatrists down the garden path. It wouldn't be the first time.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
I am not blaming his illness. Anyone who has MURDERED (not accidental deaths) should have it on their record, so it shows they have and are capable of doing so, whatever the reason or illness in this case may be. They have murdered.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
...and your point would be? Not everyone with pneumonia dies. Not everyone with diabetes needs insulin injections. Schizophrenia is an illness . Illnesses can affect people in different ways and to different extents.

Because in a civilized society, we don't blame people for being sick.

I have an ex son in-law who suffers from schizohrenia, and would never, over
many years go to a doctor or accept any kind of advice concerning his illness.
He is a very intelligent person and his mind can function very well, or not.
He also can be very scary.
He was in a normal frame of mind on many occasions, and still would not
admit or accept any help, so I have no particular kind feelings for people like
that, it's no different to me than someone who drinks, drives then kills someone
with their vehicle, they made a choice while in a sober, sane frame of mind,
to go out into the world knowing there is a chance they could kill someone.
They were packing a deadly weapon, and it could go off at any time.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
He was in a normal frame of mind on many occasions....

From your perspective maybe

Schizophrenia: What It Is/What It Isn’t

"“It is characterized by perceptual distortions, hallucinations where people may see things that aren’t really present. They may hear voices that aren’t really there. It’s also characterized by cognitive difficulties, like difficulties retaining things in short term memory or making sense of what most people would think are common facts or common thought processes."

""Dr. Risinger noted the wide range of severity in how schizophrenia affects individuals. “People can be extremely functional and have schizophrenia,” he said."

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
I am not disregarding his illness. I say send him to a mental health facility, treat him, but not have oppourtunities to be realeased as he does, and have it on record. Does the guy who committed his crime in a blackout, or those that truely don't remember because of drugs have the right not to have it on their record. They were not of sound mind, under the influence.....tell me, what reasons do you have that you feel he shouldn't have it on his record?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have an ex son in-law who suffers from schizohrenia, and would never, over
many years go to a doctor or accept any kind of advice concerning his illness.
He is a very intelligent person and his mind can function very well, or not.
He also can be very scary.
He was in a normal frame of mind on many occasions, and still would not
admit or accept any help, so I have no particular kind feelings for people like
that, it's no different to me than someone who drinks, drives then kills someone
with their vehicle, they made a choice while in a sober, sane frame of mind,
to go out into the world knowing there is a chance they could kill someone.
They were packing a deadly weapon, and it could go off at any time.

Gotta agree to disagree on this one Talloola, schitzophrenics are a little different from the average drunk driver, but truthfully I know very little about them except to say I'd cut them a little more slack.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Gotta agree to disagree on this one Talloola, schitzophrenics are a little different from the average drunk driver, but truthfully I know very little about them except to say I'd cut them a little more slack.

When they are 'not' in a schitzophrenic state, which can be often, or not, depends on different individuals, they have 100% capabilites to make rational
decisions, and do know they have an/the illness, but many choose 'NOT' to
find help. That is my point, no, I will not cut slack for them at that point.

Go to a doctor, who can help, and medication will most often control and put
them in a normal state, or at least in a non violant state.
Go to alchoholic anonomous, and get help to put oneself in a state of soberness,
which will put one in a state of non drunkeness when driving.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I am not disregarding his illness. I say send him to a mental health facility, treat him, but not have oppourtunities to be realeased as he does, and have it on record. Does the guy who committed his crime in a blackout, or those that truely don't remember because of drugs have the right not to have it on their record. They were not of sound mind, under the influence.....tell me, what reasons do you have that you feel he shouldn't have it on his record?

Because he was not at fault. It's rather simple.

You keep saying you are not disregarding his illness but then say he should remain locked up regardless of it. You can't have it both ways and remain credible.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
If someone commits a murder, not manslaughter, but actull murder, and its proven to be them without resonable doiubt, then I feel they should get a life sentance, or if deemed medically ill, like Li, then the equivalent 25 years, whether all be spent in a mental hospital, or some in a jail. He should not be free with no criminal record, living in society. He should have to serve at least what the minimum sentance is for murder with NO possibility of release, before he is re-assessed.

And for your argument, what about the people who comitted their crimes on drugs, who are drug free and still having to serve their sentance out. Not remembering, or definatly in a altered drug induced state, are they responsible, on drugs. What if they complete a drug treatment program, should they be let out of jail then then? NOt responsible. Drug addition is an illness to.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
Li made the CHOICE NOT to take his medication in 2005. He also made the CHOICE to leave a mental institution AMA

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
And for your argument, what about the people who comitted their crimes on drugs, who are drug free and still having to serve their sentance out.

They have chosen to take drugs. Li did not chose to be schizophrenic. These things are not comparable.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Li made the CHOICE NOT to take his medication in 2005. He also made the CHOICE to leave a mental institution AMA

No he didn't. He was a schizophrenic. He was mentally ill and not accountable for his actions. The system failed Li and by extension, failed Tim. Blame the system not Li.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
So what is so unreasonable about wanting a system where if someone commits a murder, and suffers from mental illness to be sentance to be in a mental facility for at least the minimum someone would spend in jail for the same crime, before he is given an oppourtunity to be released?

And you never answered my previous question, if there is NO WAY he will be getting out soon, then why the oppourtunity?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
oh, and no I haven't heard of Serge LeClec

In a spare moment, it's worth looking up. LeClec wasn't
Schizophrenic, but he was involved in the drug world as
an addict and a dealer. Interesting story about rehabilitation
for someone who was mentally competent and therefore
did his time, and chose to change.