Have/will you change(d)?

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I would like to make an observation here. Things usually go pretty well for all of you until someone (and that someone has been a few different parties) brings back the old viner baggage with a completely unprovoked and unrelated statement/insult. We have a forum here called Wreck Beach where people can duke it out. We'd prefer it to stay in there if possible and leave the other forums, like this, for civil debate and discussion.

Please refrain from personal attacks.

Thanks

from the banned a million times guy, I shout to the rooftops"Man am I glad I just read that".
grabs Kreskin with ......no no no D'Avril down boy down.(not now for chissakes)...*Clears throat*
Puts out hand and gives Kreskin a manly handshake ....

SwitSof

Electoral Member
to a much more bohemian lifestyle of living aboard a boat, subsisting on our investments and the money we earn from selling the art we create. Running our own little exotic imports business on the net.
So you sell the art works you and your wife make? Wow! So do you import art works into Canada too? What kind of art works?

So like any venture there are many questions that just don't have answers yet and the future isn't written so to a "planner" like myself, it's a bit scary.
True. But then I guess the scare is more cause of the change of lifestyle and a bit of the steadiness of income cause you're going to give up a job that generates steady income, not because of you and your wife are going to be only the two of you without the children around ay?

And please no snickering whatsoever from anybody else!
If you really can't contain yourself lower to do that, do it in the Wreck Beach or your own thread, not on this thread!

Last edited:

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Have you changed or will you change, you reckon? I suppose personality-wise, habits or ways, principles, values, the core stuff.
If you have or you will, what did or will cause this?

I have changed a lot over the last three years. What caused this change was the fact that I realized that my life at that moment was going nowhere, and that I didn't use the potential that I had for growth and development. And I realized that to improve my circumstances I will have to improve my way of thinking and way of life first of all. And so I started that process of change that continues even today. I never thought at that time how difficult it will be, but I couldn't even imagine how much better, more interesting and more comfortable my life will become. This change really was the hardest thing I ever did in my life. I had to break all the stereotypes that were instilled into me since childhood, I had to change all the principles that I had, I changed my religion, and even my name. Sometimes during this period I thought that I just can't do it, sometimes I felt that I was a failure, sometimes I felt that it was not worth trying, but I never gave in. I changed myself, step by step, sometimes even by force, so to say, because everything in me resisted doing things the new way, but now I really like the person I have become. Over this time I have really learned the value of principles and rules that define your life, because I saw that due to the inner changes that took place, everything changed in my life - the way I behave, the way I talk, the way I look, the way I dress, the job that I have, the people that are a part of my life. That was really a difficult and long journey, and I haven't walked even half the way yet, but I am really glad that I undertook it.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
Walter, not sure that education does guarantee (well not 100%, nothing is) people who are highly educated to be able to adapt to changes so easily.
In Japan, after the bubble (economy) burst, heaps of companies did what was called restructuring of which a lot of people were laid off, especially people in their 40s and above, cause their salary was quite high and companies would like to cut down cost.
Japan has been one of the countries that has high literacy rate (almost 100% since a long time, I think even before the World War II) and we're talking about highly educated people at least university/college graduates among the laid off people. But for a lot of them it was quite difficult to adapt to changes of demand in the job market and to gain new skills.
I suspect part of the reason is age, but then again I might be stomped by the older members :D
Well, maybe I'm wrong.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
So you sell the art works you and your wife make? Wow! So do you import art works into Canada too? What kind of art works?

True. But then I guess the scare is more cause of the change of lifestyle and a bit of the steadiness of income cause you're going to give up a job that generates steady income, not because of you and your wife are going to be only the two of you without the children around ay?

Actually Unforgiven, alternatively, you can send me a PM instead, that's probably better.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

My wife is the artist, and it's a bit like living with a drug addict in a way. She is always doing something. Drawing, carving, painting, sculpting and so on. She has always done this since I met her and I've always encouraged her through the years. So in the last ten years she has really come into her own with style and the experienced eye to bring out something from the medium she is working in that she sees in her head.

So with the addict analogy, I am an enabler. Part muse, part technical resource and general scrounger I keep the drugs flowing so to speak. I've learnt to cut mat and glass, frame the work we hang in our house as well as preserve what is in portfolio. About 5 years ago she got a commission from a lady to draw a picture from a photograph of her dogs. So we got that together and the lady asked if $100 was enough. My wife grabbed the cash and brought it home to show me and I fell out of my chair.

So we got our act together quite a bit from there and began to make prints of originals she would draw and sell them for $40-$90 depending on the work. Then she got a commission for two originals for a grand a piece. I thought maybe that was kind of a one shot deal. Since then she has many more originals at that price so I was inspired to get a proper business model worked out, build a portfolio of her work to give to prospective customers on dvd, in a press kit sort of format.

Lately it's been canes and walking/hiking sticks and we've sold all she's made but a half a dozen that are our own. All custom made for each person. So we've thought, it would be great to use some exotic wood from South America Mexico and Southern US. Dead falls are now great finds. Traveling by our own boat allows us to acquire the wood as part of our daily routine. We hope. The only sticky thing about that is getting the wood certified insect and disease free. So there are a few legal hoops to jump through. But it's doable.

I like the idea of bringing artwork from the South up here to sell and we have a friend in Denmark who has sold quite a bit of stuff for us there already and is always wanting more. It's just expensive to ship it to her and so there isn't really any profit in that. But if we get a regular system set up we can ship larger quantities and make a higher markup.

Yeah just fear of what we don't know. The boat is a huge undertaking. I've not grown up in a seafaring family and so I have to learn a lot. School covers the theory and certification and chartering, serving as crew and hanging out with some friends at a couple of harbours is getting me some experience doing the work. The empty nest shouldn't be much of an issue. Number one son is established on his own now and our daughter is just finishing grade 11 this year. So in a couple of years she will be off to university and we'll be able to really make the move to living aboard. A couple of years of managing the boat in the Great Lakes, then another couple doing the Great Circle Route through the US and the Eastern Circle will give us the opportunity to experience all the aspects of it. My wife will have finished up her career within 7 years give or take and we make the final cut. At least that's how it looks on paper. :)
How it plays out, who knows?

We're going to buy a place in Nova Scotia to use as a land base and figure it would be great to let a few artists reside there and keep the heat on while they use the shop to work on their own art projects. So in the summers when we are up here, we can pull the boat out of the water or maintenance when needed. That sort of thing.

We'll be able to live off the investments we've made so what money we make from this can go into what we leave the kids when we're gone. The beauty of it is that a good portion of the work is soaking up the sun in a hammock, riding a jetski and seeing what opportunities the day brings.

And please no snickering whatsoever from anybody else!
If you really can't contain yourself lower to do that, do it in the Wreck Beach or your own thread, not on this thread!

Oh I don't mind so much. I just think about my commute to work from the deck to the beach and if the boss needs her drink topped up. heh heh

SwitSof

Electoral Member
Ah cheers for sharing all that :)

We'll be able to live off the investments we've made so what money we make from this can go into what we leave the kids when we're gone. The beauty of it is that a good portion of the work is soaking up the sun in a hammock, riding a jetski and seeing what opportunities the day brings.
Now you made me curious, please don't kill the cat! :D
What investment is good to enable one to do that? Maybe the young can learn.

Oh I don't mind so much. I just think about my commute to work from the deck to the beach and if the boss needs her drink topped up. heh heh
Well, I do. I didn't have the intention nor interest to have a brawl here when I started this thread and still don't. I can't say this thread is mine, but then again as it's so easy to start a thread, I would expect anybody decent to do so instead. The place is provided anyway.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Ah cheers for sharing all that :)

Now you made me curious, please don't kill the cat! :D
What investment is good to enable one to do that? Maybe the young can learn.

Well, I do. I didn't have the intention nor interest to have a brawl here when I started this thread and still don't. I can't say this thread is mine, but then again as it's so easy to start a thread, I would expect anybody decent to do so instead. The place is provided anyway.

There is no single investment that will do that. Maybe a lottery ticket. ;)
But there was some advice I got when I was in my twenties that stuck. "Pay yourself first." Which for me meant putting away a portion of my pay and my wife's pay right off the top and learning to live off of what was left.

"Lucky is being prepared for opportunity" Which for me was having money squirreled away to buy into the little sun glasses venture one of my nephews started in the 90s. He has since bought me out and owns about three dozen of these little kiosks around Vancouver and Calgary. That in and of itself secured my future. Lastly, "Don't risk what you can't throw away" A good portfolio will have around 60% in solid safe and steady long term earnings. 25% higher earning volatile assets and 15% in risky but very high rate of return investment.

India and China are good places for this if you have the right broker but you have to research and be able to pull out of things even when the seem very profitable. They can turn around just that quick. And like gambling you need to be able to walk away when your up.

The only other thing I would add is that you should never get into business with your family or friends. Business is business and you are not in it to make friends and have fun, you are in it to make money.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Change is the most constant and consistent element of the universe.

Human beings, in terms of "change" have demonstrated throughout history that they are...loathe to change.

It doesn't matter that seatbelts can be demonstrated as securing you with much greater safety inside a hunk of steel hurtling down the roadway at a hundred miles an hour...laws must be passed to force human beings to buckle-up....

It doesn't matter that posted speed limits are posted with the intent to reduce the slaughter and injury on our roadways, human beings require police and justice systems overview to compel them to drive at safe speeds....

It doesn't matter that we all live on a little rock tumbling through space and there isn't any Cosmic Convenience Store to stop into to pick up a little more clean air or water....we are as human beings content to despoil our oceans and kill species at an increasing rate......

It doesn't matter that our social institutions fall prey to religious convictions despite the fact that an examination of the history of these religious convictions exposes behaviors and attitudes that must bear responsibility for the greatest exercises of inhumnity and bestial behaviour ever seen across this species....

It doesn't matter that frameworks of justice principles and philosophies erected to preserve the potential for peace harmony and interrelationship of human societies are abandoned in the name of greed and facility to dictate and control anyone and everyone else....

It doesn't matter that misinformation and lies have become the currencies of governments and human beings are content to endorse these myths so long as their personal interests and their personal well-being remain unaffected...

And that's the bottom line here kids....

Human beings are reticent to a fault to indulge the possibility that the way to orderly change...the way to circumventing the plethora of hostilities and disasters that will befall our fragile species is to act at the onset...to invest at the beginning to address the dynamics that we can all examine and conclude result in the greatest damage and conflict further on down the road...when we rush to the flaming remanants of the basement after the house has burned...

Human being are content to do nothing until they have too.... Until there is a mechanism in place to compel them to change to be responsible to act in a timely organized effort to address critical issues before they become situations and events that demand the harshest of interventions and most sacrificial kinds of "change".

Until there is this sea-change in the psychology of mankind, until the narrow focus of my personal world and my wealth and my well-being is finally put into the perspective of an entire planet, human beings won't change.

Evolution psychologically speaking ended thirty-five million years ago.

Human beings will deny global warming as something over which we have no control no means of addressing...until enough people die.

Human beings will cry for retribution and war so long as there are sufficient numbers of fanatical self-interested nabobs to orchestrate discontent and promulgate derision and disdain. Human social organizational constructs promote derrogation and hatred for homosexuals, regard needed resources in other nations of the world as the "right" of the powerful and wealthy and are willing to pay for stealing these resources with the lives of our children....

All this talk about "change"....as though you really had any idea what you're talking about....