Harper snubs First Nations

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What a PR frig up.

Sure, to be fair, the panda traveled further to see him, but I really don't get how you can justify seeing a zoo animal over meeting with your own voting populace who are making a statement (highjacked cause or not). Of all the protests and actions taken by the Idle No More movement and ensuing gestures, this strikes me as the most positive. That should be encouraged, not ignored.

I can't help think that the arrival date may have been picked deliberatly to have a conflict with the PM. Makes for a bigger story and one which actually would be covered before the last 2 minutes of the newscast or the back page of the paper.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I can't help think that the arrival date may have been picked deliberatly to have a conflict with the PM. Makes for a bigger story and one which actually would be covered before the last 2 minutes of the newscast or the back page of the paper.
Ya, that must be it... a bunch of injun kids from the frozen north saw that a panda was coming to Ottawa and decided to show up the same day, after hiking 1200 km, just to get some PR mileage out of their trek. Now that is real paranoia.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ya, that must be it... a bunch of injun kids from the frozen north saw that a panda was coming to Ottawa and decided to show up the same day, after hiking 1200 km, just to get some PR mileage out of their trek. Now that is real paranoia.

So you believe they engeneered this all on their own and weren't told to do so by some other organization?

Doesn't concern me one way or the other whether the PM saw them or not. Not sure what difference it would have made -- just another photo OP.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So you believe they engeneered this all on their own and weren't told to do so by some other organization?

Doesn't concern me one way or the other whether the PM saw them or not. Not sure what difference it would have made -- just another photo OP.
Now you are insinuating that injun kids ain't smart enough to figure stuff out by themselves?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Now you are insinuating that injun kids ain't smart enough to figure stuff out by themselves?
Oh good, so you do thinks it's possible that they engineered a faux op on their own.

I guess Ski isn't paranoid after all.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Would have been more to the point if they had dropped off a few resumes along the way. Anyone can walk that far and read a road sign can at least work for Canada Post.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I get your point, but wouldn't his meeting them just be an invitation to any feel good agenda group marching on Ottawa from around Canada and demanding the same respect?

Where do you draw the line though? What groups are worthy, which aren't?

I think he made the right choice.

Citizens who get off their asses and engage themselves politically deserve to be acknowledged.

Is there a line? Of course there are lines. I don't know where they fall exactly, I just think he drew this one poorly.

So few youth are engaged that, let's be honest, he missed the truly endangered species, in order to go for a photo op with a dime a dozen panda.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Citizens who get off their asses and engage themselves politically deserve to be acknowledged.

'Citizens' do that everyday.. Should the gvt come to a halt each time that someone claims they demand to be heard.

On that note, exactly what is INM protesting?... I sure can't tell you and I expect that these youth can't tell you either

So few youth are engaged that, let's be honest, he missed the truly endangered species, in order to go for a photo op with a dime a dozen panda.

Spence already poisoned that well. Don't blame the gvt for this not pandering to this gong-show of a cause

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
'Citizens' do that everyday.. Should the gvt come to a halt each time that someone claims they demand to be heard.

On that note, exactly what is INM protesting?... I sure can't tell you and I expect that these youth can't tell you either

Spence already poisoned that well. Don't blame the gvt for this not pandering to this gong-show of a cause

That is a problem and makes things difficult for those that are working hard to make things better. Showboats rarely help their cause in the long run.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The guy who says he doesn't take anything seriously expects logic? 8O
I didn't say I expected logic.

You were the one that brought it up. I just question your lack of it.

I agree, why do they have to be acknowledged by the head of the gov't?

Is there a line? Of course there are lines. I don't know where they fall exactly, I just think he drew this one poorly.
So the lines are subjective, at best.

You haven't spent much time on the rez in Quebec. If they aren't working or slacking, they're political.

My brothers have been proud members of the MWS since they were able to leave the house by themselves.