Harper Shutting Out the Media

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Harper Shutting Out t

My riding went something like 12,000 votes Conservative, 100 or so Liberal and 20 NDP. Land-slide anyone?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I for one an not inpressed with Harper and his team playing possom with the public. If he's afraid to open his mouth in public he can use duck tape, it comes in matching colors to his suits. Here Harper, here Harper-Harper. Nope didn't work, I'll try the garden hose or maybe I'll yell fire in the hole as I light a match to the Nafta.

martuss

Apr 2, 2006
I dont really believe that this system of his is going to work, once the parliament sarts working again, he's gonna have to give answer to the media or the opposition will.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
He doesn't seem to care what the public is thinking or saying, I guess once elected we the un-washed masses cease to exist.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Harper Shutting Out t

Ohhh mogz....

How cynical of you *giggle*

I worked for politicians, and I feel EXACTLY THE SAME WAY about them. Greedy F***ers they are too.

sometimes we try to make a difference, but those bloody pollies... they stuff it up for everyone. Bastards.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I saw an interview last night on The Hour - one of Harper's top advisors was saying that although he's pretty much nixed the scrums, he's now meeting with the press in more formalized meetings where he's taking more questions than would normally be addressed in the scrums... didn't say whether or not these are pre-screened questions or not though...

Liberty

Apr 7, 2006
If you believe all that shit man you have problems. Harper is suffering from the condition called brown nosing to Bush, which fully qualifies Harper to have the nick name Chicken Little Bush Lloyd Harper.
Harper and Mackey make a great pair for the most boring personalities of the year in Canada.
:evil: :evil:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
So what condition did Martin suffer from I wonder.....

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Harper Shutting Out the Media

Zan said:
I saw an interview last night on The Hour - one of Harper's top advisors was saying that although he's pretty much nixed the scrums, he's now meeting with the press in more formalized meetings where he's taking more questions than would normally be addressed in the scrums... didn't say whether or not these are pre-screened questions or not though...

Perhaps if the media actually did their job and asked researched questions instead of just screeching out anything that comes into their silly little heads, then this would not be an issue. Perhaps if the media actually reported the news, instead of trying to be the news, this would not be an issue. Perhaps if the media had not fallen hook line and sinker for the Liberal lies and insults in the last two election campaigns, this would not be an issue. And finally, who really cares what a bunch of lazy reports from Ottawa think anyway? In their mind, the country begins and ends at the front door of Parliament, and the rest of Canada is just "..somewhere out there". Good on Harper, I say, and the hell with the media and their whiny little bitching.Funny thing is, the media message does not seem to be working, as the latest poll now shows the Conservatives over 40% and the Libs in the low to mid 20's. Maybe the rest of Canada really does not care what the Parliamentary Press Corps thinks after all.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Yadda Yadda Yadda.

It always the same story.
Lets see how long it is before Harper says he cant live up to his campaign promises...
because the Liberals left a bigger deficit than he had been told...
because the war in Afghanistan has cost more than we thought it would...
because Vancouver needs a shelling out of a billion dollars to save face over the Olympic building...
because the aging population has decided to get sicker than he planned on, and since we all expect to get health care.....
because the Governor General wants to do a round the world tour....
whatever....

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Here is another twist in Harper's need for absolute media control. I failed to read where the photographer was actually critical other than being hired by Mercer for the comedy series.

However these days, not even the slightest suggestion of dissent is allowed, and if there wasn't even dissent shown, this government will treat the invisible threat to them with this new world philosophy of 'preemption'.

Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...722&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467

PM 'critic' sent packing
Photographer bumped from job at 24 Sussex

Was supposed to shoot for Mercer's TV comedy
Oct. 23, 2006. 05:33 AM
SUSAN DELACOURT
OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

OTTAWA—A funny thing happened on the way to a comic spoof at 24 Sussex Drive this weekend.

An Ottawa photographer was hired, then un-hired to work with TV comedian Rick Mercer in a sketch at Prime Minister Stephen Harper's residence. He was let go from the assignment, he was told, because he'd been "critical" of Harper. The photographer in question, Dave Chan, also worked for Liberal prime minister Paul Martin and the incident revives the ongoing tension over how Harper's office has handled journalists seen as unfriendly to the Conservative government.

The parliamentary press gallery is meeting today to discuss matters of access to the Prime Minister.

Chan, an award-winning freelance photographer and husband of Martin's former press secretary Melanie Gruer, was hired by Mercer's crew to assist in a shoot at 24 Sussex Saturday morning.

But an hour or so after he got the call on Friday evening, Chan got another call from Mercer's producer, John Marshall, and was told that Dimitri Soudas, Harper's press secretary, had vetoed his presence on the assignment. Chan was told the Prime Minister's Office flatly objected to him as a critic of Harper.

"I'm really disappointed and I find their approach unprofessional. They are stopping me from making a living," Chan said.

Soudas would neither confirm nor deny on the record that he'd passed that message along to the Mercer show. Instead, Soudas sent an email on Saturday evening, simply saying: "The Prime Minister had a great time with Rick today. We agreed to provide many pictures to the Rick Mercer Report and we'll be doing so on Monday (today)."

The inference, apparently, is that Chan's photos weren't needed because the PMO would supply its own. This issue, in fact, was at the root of an earlier dispute with the press gallery — the PMO's bid to supply its own photos for use in the media rather than allowing photojournalists to take them.

Mercer himself said he wasn't involved in the preparation for the production and seemed reluctant to talk about it. Marshall was also not talking. After leaving 24 Sussex, the two boarded a plane and weren't particularly eager to discuss the incident later.

Chan, who does work for all the major national papers and is a member of the press gallery, says he is not a member of the Liberal party and has never been blacklisted for participation in an assignment in his 20 years as a photojournalist. He doesn't see how his experience disqualified him from working with Mercer on the weekend.

"As a photographer my job is to document, not provide the spin," Chan said.

(cont.)...