Harper Shutting Out the Media

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Your theme in this thread, Jay (namely, I'm a Conservative, so they can govern however they want as long as they stay blue) doesn't seem a particularly responsible way to go about things, in my opinion. Where can we draw the line, then? When the Conservatives decide to pull House coverage from CPAC? When they decide we don't need access to the Hansard on-line, anymore?

People if I recall were very tolerant of liberal corruption here before the election. Still Harper is overly paranoid which is a pretty stupid reaction as the Canadian press is hardly known for nipping on the heels of any scandal. It's called shooting oneself in the foot and he's using a bazooka.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Jay said:
Since when have Liberals concerned themselves with who lied about what? How many people voted Liberal in the last election? I don't take much they say seriously.

The motives of the left in Canada are clear. Disrupt and disorder until we get a new leader.

Who cares about the Liberals? We're talking about Harper. What he's doing sets a dangerous precedent. Do you really want Canadian politics to turn into American politics where the only questions that get asked are those authorized by the administration?

This is a serious threat to our democracy.

Liberals do it day in day out....ask them the same question, at least conservatives aren't putting the nation at risk.

Ah, I see. So, because the Liberals do something, we should all do something? I guess we should be watching for the Conservatives to go stealing our money. After all, the Liberals did that.

Don't you have a problem with the fact that he's so far broken his promises to make government more open and accountable?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Where was the media when the tax payer money was being slid into the coffers of the Liberal party? I sometimes watch CPAC, but I missed that episode.

If you voted Liberal you don't believe the party messed up major now do you?

OTTAWA (CP) - Prime Minister Stephen Harper says there's no right for people to know when his cabinet is meeting.
While previous governments kept cabinet agendas and discussions secret, they gave advance notice of meetings so that reporters could ask questions afterward. But Harper suggested Tuesday that the very fact ministers are meeting could be kept confidential.
"Meetings of cabinet are private, this is a constitutional issue," said the prime minister, who has been limiting media access to ministers.
Traditionally, reporters gather outside the cabinet room to buttonhole ministers after the meetings. Harper has now banned journalists from the floor where the meetings are held, saying reporters can wait downstairs for ministers who may have something to say.
"I'm available regularly to answer your questions," he said. "If there are substantial questions, I am ready to answer them."

If this is the best you can do don't expect me to come out boo-hooing over it. It's not my job to make the conservatives look bad, that's your job and your doing a very poor job of it too, I might add.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Jay said:
Where was the media when the tax payer money was being slid into the coffers of the Liberal party? I sometimes watch CPAC, but I missed that episode.

If this is the best you can do don't expect me to come out boo-hooing over it. It's not my job to make the conservatives look bad, that's your job and your doing a very poor job of it too, I might add.

The other option is that rather than being completely partisan about it, we can all look at governments critically. Why would you let a party destroy the little openness that we have so far just because they're the party you support.

It is ok to be critical of the actions of someone you like. Not everyone has to act like Rutherford and being a mouthpiece for the Conservative Party of Canada. :wink:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The fact is:

The Conservative Party of Canada has thus far conducted itself in a manner which is less transparent and inherently less accountable than the previous Government of Canada. The fact that Mr. Harper is going to be restricting knowledge of heads of states' visits to Canada — what the Hell possible purpose could that serve?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Re: RE: Harper Shutting Out the Media

FiveParadox said:
The fact is:

The Conservative Party of Canada has thus far conducted itself in a manner which is less transparent and inherently less accountable than the previous Government of Canada. The fact that Mr. Harper is going to be restricting knowledge of heads of states' visits to Canada — what the Hell possible purpose could that serve?

I agree Harper is a dolt. Still you can't actually believe this. Where is the billion dollars missing from HRDC? What of the Gomery inquiry and report?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
LittleRunningGag said:
The other option is that rather than being completely partisan about it, we can all look at governments critically. Why would you let a party destroy the little openness that we have so far just because they're the party you support.

It is ok to be critical of the actions of someone you like. Not everyone has to act like Rutherford and being a mouthpiece for the Conservative Party of Canada. :wink:

Ya sure...Liberals don't do this, whatever!

Like I said the major policy of campaigning for the Liberal Party is name calling. It didn't work as effectively last time but that hasn't stopped meaningless Liberal accusations from troop deployment to this little tid-bit of nothing after the election.

Really, you guys are going to have to do better than this, and I suspect it will happen after Harper has had a chance to screw up. Liberals are so desperate right now they will comment on just about anything whether it makes sense to do so or not.

Please don't give up on my account though; we don't mind the opportunity it presents in the least.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

sanch said:
FiveParadox said:
The fact is:

I agree Harper is a dolt. Still you can't actually believe this. Where is the billion dollars missing from HRDC? What of the Gomery inquiry and report?

But I'm the partisan one! Ha!

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
RE: Harper Shutting Out t

Jay, you seem pretty big on labels. Kind of seems like you feel the word ‘Liberal’ itself is a bad word.

Maybe for you we should legally rename every party ‘Conservative’.

Canada should rename the parties, Conservative Right, Conservative Left, and Conservative Middle. The Bloc can keep their label because they are kind of separate anyway.

This way we can get past these labels and more towards substance when we judge the good and bad each do for Canada. After all, each party has made contributions to our great nation.

If you have a problem with colours, they can also all be blue for all I care. And again the Bloc can stay the same because they are already blue. Green party is the problem here. Maybe a bluish green.

And please tell us when you will eventually hold the government you voted for accountable to the 'promises' they made to YOU.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The "changes" being made by the Conservative Party of Canada are setting a dangerous precedent — it's saying that we, as Canadians, don't have the right to know what the Government of Canada is doing (either good or bad). It's saying that we, as Canadians, don't have the right to simultaneous translation during addresses and messages from the Prime Minister of Canada and our Ministers of the Crown. It's saying that we don't have the right to access information pertaining to state or premier visits; it's saying that the media does not have the right to ask whatever questions they wish from the Government — it's saying that only the questions that the Government likes, are those that are to be asked.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Jay said:
Ya sure...Liberals don't do this, whatever!

Is there any substance to your posts?

"Nah-nah, the Liberals suck..."

Like I said the major policy of campaigning for the Liberal Party is name calling. It didn't work as effectively last time but that hasn't stopped meaningless Liberal accusations from troop deployment to this little tid-bit of nothing after the election.

From the first post:

4. Forcing the media to compile a list of reporters who wish to ask questions, then choosing the particular reports and questions from that list for when the availability occurs.

You don't see a problem with this?!?

Jay said:
Really, you guys are going to have to do better than this, and I suspect it will happen after Harper has had a chance to screw up. Liberals are so desperate right now they will comment on just about anything whether it makes sense to do so or not.

You should know that I'm more of a libertarian than anything else. I have no political affiliation other than to freedom. I am just as criticle of the Liberals as I am of the Conservatives and the NDP.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Harper Shutting Out t

elevennevele said:
Jay, you seem pretty big on labels. Kind of seems like you feel the word ‘Liberal’ itself is a bad word.

Maybe for you we should legally rename every party ‘Conservative’.

Canada should rename the parties, Conservative Right, Conservative Left, and Conservative Middle. The Bloc can keep their label because they are kind of separate anyway.

This way we can get past these labels and more towards substance when we judge the good and bad each do for Canada. After all, each party has made contributions to our great nation.

If you have a problem with colours, they can also all be blue for all I care. And again the Bloc can stay the same because they are already blue. Green party is the problem here. Maybe a bluish green.

And please tell us when you will eventually hold the government you voted for accountable to the 'promises' they made to YOU.

Not calling your party Liberal isn't working for the Democrats in America...you know the other party that hates America.

I have a problem with Liberals, and it isn't my fault they use red as their colour....it's about the only time they are being honest.

I'm going to give this government a chance and actually allow it to screw up before I condemn it. Harper hasn't really done anything I would consider worthy of condemnation yet. I put up with 12 years of Liberal BS, I can handle a wee little not really there Conservative BS, thanks.

Oh and the only time Liberal aren't big on labels is when their label is screwed. You guys have been harping on conservatives for years and years on end and purposely stirring the pot and inventing issues to further your cause simply because your aware of how Conservatives will react.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
LittleRunningGag said:
You should know that I'm more of a libertarian than anything else. I have no political affiliation other than to freedom. I am just as criticle of the Liberals as I am of the Conservatives and the NDP.

With ten posts I'm supposed to know who you are? You let the cat out of the bag, you might as well tell me who you are.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This Government has screwed up — repeatedly.

The crossing of Minister Emerson was dismissed by the Ethics Commissioner not because there was no bribe or incentive — no, that was never concluded — but because the switch didn't take place before a parliamentary event, such as a vote. Harper and Emerson got away on a technicality, and the campaign to de-elect Mr. Emerson in the riding of Vancouver Kingsway is ongoing.

Mr. Harper appointed Minister Fortier to the Senate of Canada, despite claims that partisan appointments would cease under his Government — when confronted with the matter, he says he wasn't bound by what he said, because it wasn't a technical "promise." Again, Mr. Harper gets off on a technicality.

On CPAC, a Member of the Government dares the Opposition to attempt to defeat the Government, amidst claims that his party was elected to power, and thus they can do whatever they want and the opposition is gonna have to just deal with it (anyone recall the Tories shutting down the House of Commons for three days last session, over a similar arrogant attitude of a then-Government?).

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

Jay said:
LittleRunningGag said:

With ten posts I'm supposed to know who you are? You let the cat out of the bag, you might as well tell me who you are.

I think you missunderstood what I wrote. I was saying that your, "Everyone that critizises the Conservatives is just a Liberal so their opinion doesn't matter," doesn't apply in my case. If it ever actually made sense in the first place.

I was clueing you into a subtlety, not admonishing you.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
You are using very different standards to assess the two governments. There should only be one standard.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

LittleRunningGag said:
Jay said:
LittleRunningGag said:

I think you missunderstood what I wrote. I was saying that your, "Everyone that critizises the Conservatives is just a Liberal so their opinion doesn't matter," doesn't apply in my case. If it ever actually made sense in the first place.

I was clueing you into a subtlety, not admonishing you.

Sorry, I read that to mean I should know that you are a libertarian. My mistake.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
A class act by Harper.
PM thanks Bush for hostages' safe return

Meeting this week
Allan Woods, CanWest News Service
Published: Tuesday, March 28, 2006
OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper thanked U.S. President George W. Bush for his country's assistance in freeing two Canadian hostages in Iraq last week during a telephone call yesterday, the Prime Minister's Office said.

Mr. Harper thanked Mr. Bush, whom he will meet this week for a North American Summit in Cancun, Mexico, in a 20-minute telephone conversation during which they spoke on a range of issues related to the Canada-U.S. relationship, said the Prime Minister's spokeswoman, Sandra Buckler.

She said the two men also spoke about their respective military efforts, the softwood lumber trade dispute and the general state of Canada-U.S. relations.

Mr. Harper offered his thanks for the U.S. role in freeing James Loney and Harmeet Sooden "in the larger talk of the war in Afghanistan," Ms. Buckler said. She would not offer more details.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=1a76a642-19e4-4d41-87c4-680c700f6485
If he is supposedly shutting out the leftMedia at least he is not shutting out Canada's national interests.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So then, supporters of the Conservative Party of Canada truly do consent and endorse this idea that the Prime Minister and his government should have the right to pick and choose the questions that the media is permitted to ask them?

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
RE: Harper Shutting Out t

Canadian media is only as left as how far one is standing to the right. Canadian media is quite moderate in general. Middle of the road.

Zoofer, can you tell me what is 'leftist' about thinking that the media shouldn't have the restrictions that Harper wishes to put in place?