Harper dismisses 2000 scientists

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'm simply commenting that it's funny for someone from an industry who receives lots of tax credits, and is very profitable, to bitch about another. I guess that flew over your head. :roll:

How many billions does your company invest into the nation?... On that note, how many billions does your company book in revenues to be taxed?

Yeah, I didn't think so

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think private companies should pay their own bills.
And I also think that taxpayers are better served with their tax dollars remaining in their pockets as versus subsidizing large profitable corporations.

That's a funny thing for an oil and gas industry shill to say. You get your own types of tax credits that my company can't apply for.

And farm credits when you aren't a farm. So don't go bitching about O&G.

I'm simply commenting that it's funny for someone from an industry who receives lots of tax credits, and is very profitable, to bitch about another. I guess that flew over your head. :roll:

The bird that opened your yap and stuck your foot in it?

Definitely flew over your head. :lol:

How many billions does your company invest into the nation?... On that note, how many billions does your company book in revenues to be taxed?

I guess it flew over your head too. I'm actually fine with tax credits that encourage investment in Canada.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, my point is that some industries actually end up paying for those initial incentives in hard cash over and over and over again

But some industries have a regular bank line (the Govt), and if I recall correctly repayment levels are low to negligible.

Or take exceptional risks.

What ones meet that criteria? What projects were rated as an exceptional risk?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Arriving at such extreme conclusions is not easy. Between 2006 and 2011, after all, the Harper administration increased federal funding for science and technology every year  --  a $9 billion spike, according to the braggy "Investing in World-Class Research and Innovation" chapter of Minister Flaherty's 2013 budget. Even following a slight dip post-2011, overall annual funding still remain billions higher than in the Liberal years, and as Minister Rempel angrily reminded a Twitter troll the other day, the Conservatives are still funnelling tonnes of tax dollars to a vast assortment of science-themed bureaucracies across the land, many of which they themselves founded.
Canada likewise ranks near the top of the G7 on a host of OCED science-funding related indicators, including percentage of gross domestic expenditures on research and development financed by government (third) and percentage performed by public universities (first).

Media Bites: Want to Hear How Harper Hates Science? Watch CBC | J.J. McCullough

Usual CBC propaganda.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Arriving at such extreme conclusions is not easy. Between 2006 and 2011, after all, the Harper administration increased federal funding for science and technology every year  --  a $9 billion spike, according to the braggy "Investing in World-Class Research and Innovation" chapter of Minister Flaherty's 2013 budget. Even following a slight dip post-2011, overall annual funding still remain billions higher than in the Liberal years, and as Minister Rempel angrily reminded a Twitter troll the other day, the Conservatives are still funnelling tonnes of tax dollars to a vast assortment of science-themed bureaucracies across the land, many of which they themselves founded.
Canada likewise ranks near the top of the G7 on a host of OCED science-funding related indicators, including percentage of gross domestic expenditures on research and development financed by government (third) and percentage performed by public universities (first).

Usual CBC propaganda.

Here's a simple scienitifc forumla for ya:

JJ McCullough + CBC = 0.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
JJ McCullough needs to expand his scope, who cares about the G7? They don't even have G7 conferences anymore, the world is much bigger than that, let's look at the entire OECD list...the latest year that the OECD has data including Canada is 2010, and does not have Canada in third for percentage of gross domestic expenditure on research and development...Canada is in 14th place (perhaps even lower as some other countries aren't reporting that statistic anymore), behind countries like Mexico, Spain, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Poland, Norway, New Zealand, Hungary, France, Czech Republic, Chile, Austria, and Italy. Some by significant portions. Mexico is almost twice our %age.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Usual CBC propaganda.

That guy is trying to make it out to be a CBC ploy when the site he works for posted this gem just a few days before:

How the Harper Government Committed a Knowledge Massacre | Capt. Trevor Greene

Stones and glasshouses, etc.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
The money harper is allegedly spending on "science" is going to oil companies and mining outfits for r&d. Real science might expose his bull**** and gets cut.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Plus he uses figures posted by the government to support his point of increased government spending on R&D. I'd rather see some third-party numbers myself. All governments--but this government in particular--likes to put a communications spin on everything. LIke the Rodney King trial "If you play the tape backwards in slow motion you can see the officers are actually trying to help Mr. King up."

:lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Saving taxpayers millions of dollars. Much of what many of these scientists do should and mostly is being done by industry and lots of it is just a plain waste of our money.