Haitian airport backlog- what's your suggestion?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
TOO FUNNY!

So the people on the ground should just leave the supplies and let the Haitians claw and fight for them? Maybe the roving bands of machete gangs can be in charge?

Good grief Charlie Brown.

I know you're not saying that the Hatians can't be left to their own devices because they are incapable, but someone else may read it like that ES. I know that if a disaster were happening here I would want my own government handling things. Maybe if there is anything worse than machete wielding thugs in your hood it might be machine gun wielding soldiers instead.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The article indicated the troops were dropped off there and they were headed over to secure some hospital nearby. Somebody must have been there some time ago to lock the gates to keep the people on the outside of the fence.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Actually the article supports the delivery, I was wondering why there place they were landing (in the vid)at didn't have pallets of supplies on the lawn.

The mission... I am going to guess...was to get troops to secure an area to establish security. You don't go taking a pallet on it and say...

"Hey take this with you!"

Perhaps the Presidential Palace was not the right area to start dumping supplies.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I know you're not saying that the Hatians can't be left to their own devices because they are incapable, but someone else may read it like that ES. I know that if a disaster were happening here I would want my own government handling things. Maybe if there is anything worse than machete wielding thugs in your hood it might be machine gun wielding soldiers instead.

I think at this point they are incapable. Not every nation is smooth running...take Somalia for example. How did the Somalis handle UN Supplies before security went in?

If a disaster struck Canada, the government of Canada is very well capable of handling a crisis.

I bet that is on one side of the street were Haitians with machetes and the other were US Soldiers...you'd cross to the US side in a second.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Those choppers may have a 9000 lift capacity but add troops,armaments and fuel and they are probably loaded and you dont want to load to the max if you dont have to and especially if theres no wind,more wind and the more you can lift,you also need to be set up for slinging and that means a bubble window for the pilot which greatly cuts back on your top speed.
I imagine the heat also plays into it as choppers heat up very quickly when slinging.
We move the drills up north by chopper and it's very dicey and dangerous,thats why you were never allowed to have any passengers while slinging.

jimmyjames

Jan 19, 2010
British Columbia Canada
What do you do

If the airports are jammed and you can get a boat in there then my suggestion would be to contact the CEO of BC Ferries and get him to donate a couple of boats and pay for it out of his wallet. Im not saying that to be a smart as either. If they can afford to build them overseas then they can afford to donate. Don't you think?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I imagine the logistics guys that are there are some of the best and doing what they can with what they have.
They could allways build an airstrip if the ground is hard enough,a herc doesnt need pavement to land but it will need at least 1000 meters to land safely fully loaded.
I've built runway on the lake ice for one of those first air hercs and they can fly in allmost any conditions and can pack sea cans which when offloaded can allways be then used as temporary shelters or 100 other things.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Chavez et al. are being opportunists. A few posters here as well. Petty, opportunism.

So, what's your alternative? How would you land more airplanes? Where do they taxi, and "park"? How about shipping? Very few deep water ports.

Out with it. What idea do you have that works better?
Chavez being opportunists?? Wake up. There is a shortage of diesel fuel, and it was announced today that Chavez was sending hundreds of barrels of diesel fuel. Check your facts.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Chavez being opportunists?? Wake up. There is a shortage of diesel fuel, and it was announced today that Chavez was sending hundreds of barrels of diesel fuel. Check your facts.

And took the opportunity to make statements about the Americans occupying Haiti. He, like many ignorant Canadians, is apparently unaware that soldiers are not only trained to fight wars, but to bring in disaster relief. Were you not taught to look before you leap? :roll:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
And took the opportunity to make statements about the Americans occupying Haiti. He, like many ignorant Canadians, is apparently unaware that soldiers are not only trained to fight wars, but to bring in disaster relief. Were you not taught to look before you leap? :roll:

Once again, you have nothing worthwhile to say. He is sending fuel, which is badly needed. What don't you understand??
whoopee, he made an anti-american speach. So what. That is expected from him. But he is also helping out.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The thing is Tonnington is Chavez realizes that with all his boasting he can't really do as much to help his Caribean "friends" as he would like to think. He is p***** seeing all this help coming from the US and he is unable to do anything but whine. People aren't paying attention to him.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Got any links from a US news source that mentions Cuba's help?

France had something to say about the us troops, don't see any threads about them being 'evil sob's'.

"The French minister in charge of humanitarian relief called on the UN to "clarify" the American role amid claims the military build up was hampering aid efforts.Alain Joyandet admitted he had been involved in a scuffle with a US commander in the airport's control tower over the flight plan for a French evacuation flight.
"This is about helping Haiti, not about occupying Haiti," Mr Joyandet said.
Geneva-based charity Medecins Sans Frontieres backed his calls saying hundreds of lives were being put at risk as planes carrying vital medical supplies were being turned away by American air traffic controllers.
But US commanders insisted their forces' focus was on humanitarian work and last night agreed to prioritise aid arrivals to the airport over military flights, after the intervention of the UN.
The diplomatic row came amid heightened frustrations that hundreds of tons of aid was still not getting through. Charities reported violence was also worsening as desperate Haitians took matters into their own hands."

US accused of 'occupying' Haiti as troops flood in - Telegraph

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Maybe US controllers should just suspend American flights for a while, then order in the dozers after all the "me first" fellahs have sorted themselves out.

This field doesn't have a lot of capacity

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Thread Topic is "Haitian airport backlog- what's your suggestion?"
Serco is one of if not the biggest logicistic and security control firm on the globe. Disasters like this is just their thing. What we term as "aid" is just a loan to pay for contractors like Serco who can set up ATC on the spot or build a runway in a day or two.

They do what military engineers and seabies used to do.

The Brit version of KBR. Not that good of rep but that a whole other topic.

YouTube - Serco