Haiti,lets discuss it civilly

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Lets not forget the hurricanes that destroyed Haiti in 2007 and 2008. The earthquake destroyed the port, lot of cleaning up to be done there also. They never get a break.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Lets not forget the hurricanes that destroyed Haiti in 2007 and 2008. The earthquake destroyed the port, lot of cleaning up to be done there also. They never get a break.

We live in a world community now- time for this "F*** you Jack, I'm alright" attitude to end. Once the immediate needs of the Haitians is looked after, then the whole world should get behind setting them up with the necessary infrastructure and some standards set for building codes, get adequate safe water sources established. It's just not right that a quarter of the world is wallowing in obscene luxury while those at the other end of the scale are suffering.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

They've been repeating that over asnd over and over on tv.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
We live in a world community now- time for this "F*** you Jack, I'm alright" attitude to end. Once the immediate needs of the Haitians is looked after, then the whole world should get behind setting them up with the necessary infrastructure and some standards set for building codes, get adequate safe water sources established. It's just not right that a quarter of the world is wallowing in obscene luxury while those at the other end of the scale are suffering.

You got that right,this shows we can all work together to make life a bit better,kind of gives a guy a bit of hope for the future of this planet.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

I think you're right on, JLM. The immediate needs are first and foremost, of course. Although there is a long way to go to get the people fed, at least it appears that things are beginning to roll as smoothly as humanly possible under the tough and ugly circumstances.

I'm hoping that yes, the infrastructure needs get addressed as soon as possible after the intial relief efforts are in place, but also wondering what can be done to help them with their longer term challenges.

I'm not terribly familiar with the country, but I keep hearing they're lacking in natural resources and ability to produce enough of their own food. It's pretty obvious that extreme poverty has been there for a long time. I have no idea what could be done to help them become more sustainable and self-sufficient, but it would make some sense - when the time is right - to include that on the "rebuild" agenda. Of course, this isn't the time to get into that, but I'm hoping it does come up and that "the world" can also help out with that one.

But, first things first and they need immediate help to try and recover from the shock of this disaster...what an unbelievable nightmare for them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think you're right on, JLM. The immediate needs are first and foremost, of course. Although there is a long way to go to get the people fed, at least it appears that things are beginning to roll as smoothly as humanly possible under the tough and ugly circumstances.

I'm hoping that yes, the infrastructure needs get addressed as soon as possible after the intial relief efforts are in place, but also wondering what can be done to help them with their longer term challenges.

I'm not terribly familiar with the country, but I keep hearing they're lacking in natural resources and ability to produce enough of their own food. It's pretty obvious that extreme poverty has been there for a long time. I have no idea what could be done to help them become more sustainable and self-sufficient, but it would make some sense - when the time is right - to include that on the "rebuild" agenda. Of course, this isn't the time to get into that, but I'm hoping it does come up and that "the world" can also help out with that one.

But, first things first and they need immediate help to try and recover from the shock of this disaster...what an unbelievable nightmare for them.

I think we are in agreement Countryboy in that many things have to be done and it may be months or years before anyone has all the answers. What are the soil conditions there? Are they suitable for growing nutritious crops or does it need major restoration? Are more water sources needed? As I've said before I'm sure a building code has to be established and new construction not meeting safe standards would just be throwing "good money after bad". In the meantime of course the people's health and well being has to be restored.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I think we are in agreement Countryboy in that many things have to be done and it may be months or years before anyone has all the answers. What are the soil conditions there? Are they suitable for growing nutritious crops or does it need major restoration? Are more water sources needed? As I've said before I'm sure a building code has to be established and new construction not meeting safe standards would just be throwing "good money after bad". In the meantime of course the people's health and well being has to be restored.

Totally in agreement. First things first, and they've got a long way to go and will need a lot of help just to get some semblance of order back into their day to day lives. Just getting over the shock of losing family members is something that most of us just can't imagine.

Your point on the construction standards and infrastructure are bang on, of course. Fortunately, there is a lot of good help available on that, from both the US and Japan (on earthquake-resistant construction standards). Canada is actually pretty good at water treatment in our own right, and I'm sure there are many things we could do on that one. And there are many skills like that out there...

The sustainability issue is certainly not the immediate thing to worry about, but again, I'm wondering if it shouldn't be tied into the infrastructure plans somehow. They're definitely going to have to make a "new beginning" somehow and it's really going to take a lot of thinking...big job to pull it all together. When the time is right.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Listening to reports on the crisis yesterday, I was struck by comments made on the startling difference one finds simply by crossing the border into the Dominican Republic. The fact that these two nations share the same island, yet one lives in poverty while the other is functioning very well is troubling to say the least.

Haiti has been the benefactor of millions and millions of dollars in aid for decades yet has been unable to pull itself out of the mire of poverty and bad government.

Were I asked my opinion, I would suggest that now might be the time to take a slow, sober look at the causes behind their continued inability to flourish.

My heart goes out to all the people affected by the quake and reports of survivors still being pulled from the rubble are heartening.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think Stephen Harper should immediately deploy all personell engaged in duties regarding the Olympics to Haiti to be useful where they are much more needed until such time as the crisis is over. It's a desecration that people are suffering and dying down there while there are people flitting and showboating around up here, mainly to impress a bunch of a$$holes that most of us don't even know. AFter that situation is resolved then the Olympics can begin.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Listening to reports on the crisis yesterday, I was struck by comments made on the startling difference one finds simply by crossing the border into the Dominican Republic. The fact that these two nations share the same island, yet one lives in poverty while the other is functioning very well is troubling to say the least.

Haiti has been the benefactor of millions and millions of dollars in aid for decades yet has been unable to pull itself out of the mire of poverty and bad government.

Were I asked my opinion, I would suggest that now might be the time to take a slow, sober look at the causes behind their continued inability to flourish.

My heart goes out to all the people affected by the quake and reports of survivors still being pulled from the rubble are heartening.

It's sure an ugly scene and hard to watch on t.v. as the body's just keep piling up.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think Stephen Harper should immediately deploy all personell engaged in duties regarding the Olympics to Haiti to be useful where they are much more needed until such time as the crisis is over. It's a desecration that people are suffering and dying down there while there are people flitting and showboating around up here, mainly to impress a bunch of a$$holes that most of us don't even know. AFter that situation is resolved then the Olympics can begin.

I think you're onto something here JLM. The various countries could compete
(for metals, even) in newly created sports. Who can dig out a survivor from a
fallen building the fastest, etc....and the new Olympics would take place where
and when they're actually needed, and not where whomever places the biggest
bribes or what-have-you. I like it!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, I was comparing the two countries today on Google and was baffled likewise. D.R. appears to be the 2nd richest country in Central America.

Libertarian

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Do you happen to know how much they paid France for their freedom, must have been quite high since it took them from 1750 to 1950 to pay it off.

Do you think it is our duty to go around the world sticking our nose into everyone's business, helping everyone, and generally being interfering mis-guided "humanists"?

What about the millions of homeless in our own country? What about the lack of proper care for seniors and veterans? What about our lack of police, doctors, nurses, and more?

I can go on. It is NOT our job to help the rest of the world. Go see what Haiti was like before the earthquake. That country has no chance of being a good place, unless we maintained a permanent presence there, and to do that, we'd waste countless amounts of money and otherwise useful lives.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Or we could you know, bring all our troops home and start taking care of fellow Canadians for once?
What were they doing here before they were deployed. I had to laugh at the brass when Victoria and area was hit with a good dump of snow. So much so the the loaders and graders were spinning out so they sent the troops out with shovels. (this was before ski-doos). Not being a military man I would think welding up a set a chains for the loaders and the one grader they had would have proved quicker and more useful. As it was the sun came out and melted everything in a few days and the aid they would have supplied was being done by the people that lived in each neighborhood.

Our high military spending is for aggression outside our borders. pretty much our only choice is support for whatever America wants us to do. Think how much they could be trained in other trades. Wars are not fought on a clock, you don't need a large supply of weapons on the ready to be safe. The first wave of the attack will be successful and if you can't fight back then you don't until you can fight back, even if that gives you the label of rebel. Pretty hard to successfully invade the frozen north, you can fight the people (Canadaian's who don't want to be invaded) or you can fight the cold, you can do one or the other but you can't do both and expect to win (no rebellion from the inhabitants)

Do you think it is our duty to go around the world sticking our nose into everyone's business, helping everyone, and generally being interfering mis-guided "humanists"?

What about the millions of homeless in our own country? What about the lack of proper care for seniors and veterans? What about our lack of police, doctors, nurses, and more?

I can go on. It is NOT our job to help the rest of the world. Go see what Haiti was like before the earthquake. That country has no chance of being a good place, unless we maintained a permanent presence there, and to do that, we'd waste countless amounts of money and otherwise useful lives.

The Nations we call friends have not always been above board in the way they have treated Haitians and that is because they broke the bonds of slavery. Slavery in the States went from possession of the people to possession of the goods that the former slaves had to purchase necessities of life from Haitian's have been treated. That also made it possible for the dregs of Europe that were immigrated to the company towns of North America were as much as slaves as anybody of African decent. ever was. It was no accident that their paychecks were gone by the time the next one arrived. Any revolt and starvation was two days away.

Good idea, we should leave them alone and we should make all NATO friends do the same.