Haiti,lets discuss it civilly

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Our office of 50 people or so started a fund raising campaign this morning. Whatever we collect by noon today is going straight to the Red Cross tomorrow. It sounds like a little effort but it was a spontaneous decision by 3 of us this morning to see what we can do to help. So far the response has been fantastic.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
It may slow things down if they cannot dock. I am not sure what sort of ships the Navy is sending but if they send the Amphibious ships they can get tons of supplies ashore on any beach rather quickly. The key will be getting them off the beach and to affected areas in the country.

Logistics...that is the key.

Makes sense...thanks for the info.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I wonder how much of it will be offloaded into the Dominican and then brought over?

I never thought of that but if their ports are in good shap it would be a heck of a lot easier than unloading ships via helicopters. That is time consuming. Airlift capacity is a great start but pales in comparison to shipping.

And Haiti is going to need everything. For example, bottled water is great but you need materials to fix the potable water infrastructure. You need osmosis equipment to make non-potable water potable.

Gosh they need everything. Hospitals are maxed, medicine, food, temp shelters.

A part I found interesting and would like to see is Norway is sending a movable hospital. Not a simple military style triage but a mini hospital with operating rooms, CAT scans, X-Rays, emergency rooms, canteen, admin etc.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I never thought of that but if their ports are in good shap it would be a heck of a lot easier than unloading ships via helicopters. That is time consuming. Airlift capacity is a great start but pales in comparison to shipping.

And Haiti is going to need everything. For example, bottled water is great but you need materials to fix the potable water infrastructure. You need osmosis equipment to make non-potable water potable.

Gosh they need everything. Hospitals are maxed, medicine, food, temp shelters.

A part I found interesting and would like to see is Norway is sending a movable hospital. Not a simple military style triage but a mini hospital with operating rooms, CAT scans, X-Rays, emergency rooms, canteen, admin etc.

Isn't the U.S. sending a floating hospital?

That should help.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Isn't the U.S. sending a floating hospital?

That should help.

It will but it also means shuttling people back and forth via chopper and with about 50-100K dead I would assume there is double the injured. I bet the ship will fill up pretty quickly.

I wonder if they will simply airlift the critically injured to other countries.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It will but it also means shuttling people back and forth via chopper and with about 50-100K dead I would assume there is double the injured. I bet the ship will fill up pretty quickly.

I wonder if they will simply airlift the critically injured to other countries.

A talk show host here had mentioned setting up camps in western countries to house these people until the state of the nation can be improved and also speeding up immigration for those who already have family here.

I think it's a good idea.

BTW what is the capacity of one of your floating hospitals if you know off hand?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

That's what the Canadian ships are bringing, but they won't arrive until early next week.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
How You Can Help the Haitian Relief Effort

From the CityTV website:How Canadians can help during major disasters abroad

The following is a list of reputable aid organizations currently seeking cash donations for relief efforts in earthquake-ravaged Haiti.

Donations can be made at the web pages or by calling the appropriate phone numbers.

OneXOne Rogers/Fido customers)
Text “HELP” or “Donate” to 1291. Reply to confirmation request with 'yes.' You will receive a thank you message that confirms the donation and $5 will be added to your next Wireless invoice.

Rogers will forward 100 per cent of the SMS revenues to OneXOne. In addition, Rogers Communications and the Rogers family will donate $250,000 in funds and goods to: Partners in Health: Haiti and other relief organizations in the country.

Canadian Red Cross
Toll free: 1-800-418-1111

Cbm Canada
Toll free 1-800-567-2264

Humanitarian Coalition (CARE Canada, Oxfam Canada, Oxfam-Quebec, Save the Children Canada)
https://www.strategicprofitsinc.com/hosted/humanitarian/index.php?lang=en

Jericho Place
jerichoplace.org/

Plan Canada
plancanada.ca/

Salvation Army
1-800-725-2769

Rodgers Wireless and Bell Mobility customers can make $5 donations by texting “HAITI” to 45678

Donations can be mailed to Army Territorial Headquarters, Canada and Bermuda, 2 Overlea Blvd, Toronto, Ontario M4H 1P4

Donations can also be dropped off at local Salvation Army units. Specify “Haiti Earthquake Disaster Relief Fund”

Unicef Canada
UNICEF - UNICEF Home

United Jewish Appeal of Greater Toronto
416-631-5705

World Vision Canada
Toll free: 1-800-268-5528

Calls for donations are also prevalent on social networking sites Twitter and Facebook.

To avoid scams and ensure your donations are of maximum value, visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade website.

How Canadians Can Help
How Canadians can help during major disasters abroad

Call Foreign Affairs: 1-800-387-3124

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i heard on the news that there are fake emails and websites soliciting money for the haitian vicitims. i thought i'd give everyone the heads up.:angryfire:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
i heard on the news that there are fake emails and websites soliciting money for the haitian vicitims. i thought i'd give everyone the heads up.:angryfire:

I don't think there is any way you can warn these potential victims. Everyone in the world has heard of the Red Cross, so why wouldn't anyone who has any doubts just send their donation there? Not complicated techology..................:lol::lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Not that there is much positive from the effects of a disaster like this but it could be if we do it right. Right now food, water, and that sort of thing are the immediate
priorities. This country has to be rebuilt however and this time we could help to see
it is done right. Haiti is a land that sees emergencies dealt with in a rush and then the
human misery disappears behind a veil of silence. The poorest nation in the Western
Region of the world could turn the corner here. We need to build hospitals, homes
water and sewer facilities and general infrastructure. At the same time we must as
a functioning world, see to it that we build some kind of job opportunities and
manufacturing of some kind. To rebuild the infrastructure and abandoned these
people to poverty would be a travesty. We must rise above the comments of people
like Pat Robertson. Right now as JLM says donate thirty bucks and make sure the
neighbours do the same and we can blunt a lot of misery.